I hate deciding calibers..... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I hate deciding calibers.....

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Well, I woulda leaned towards a .22 Mag for the foreseeable future. .223 -- timing is not ideal.

Hey, can you Purolator us a Stephen Harper? We'll UPS you one Hussein Obama! To Vancouver!?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.
HockaLouis is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TNFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: TN. U.S.A.
Posts: 293
Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Ditto on the 22 Mag. If you can stand the ammo prices(about $10/50 from what I've read) but it will offer more range and punch then the standard 22lr.
If you don't mind handloading and if you could live with a bolt action then something in the great old 22 Hornet would be a nice way to go. You can probably load it for less then the cost of 22 Mag ammo and you'd have slightly better ballistics too. If you really want to up the ante then give the 22-250 a look. Plenty of power even for deer size game out to 200-250 yards with the right bullet and for coyotes, forget about it, you'd own em' out to 500 yards easily.
__________________
http://www.infowars.com/
Member: Gun Owners of America
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!
This is the War Room!"
TNFrank is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,760
Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
you're right the 223 is very gentle in regards to recoil. can be very accurate at the distances you stated.

might i suggest the Marlin XS7VH in 223? well within the budget you have listed. IIRC, you are in Canada, so your price might be a little higher, but MSRP here is $396. i gave about $370 for my XS7VH in 308. since you already are starting to reload, just add the 223 into the mix as well.
I was actually looking at Marlins X line of rifles. I just haven't REALLY looked into them at all. But I think I'll do that since I've got an entire day to kill before Boxing Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I would love to have an SVT, but they are about $1000 in the states.
That's insane, I think the highest I seem one up here (Canada) was $640.00 and the cheapest was $325.00. I won't even lie, I'm insanely surprised at the difference. Usually the guns up here are around $100.00 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Well, I woulda leaned towards a .22 Mag for the foreseeable future. .223 -- timing is not ideal.

Hey, can you Purolator us a Stephen Harper? We'll UPS you one Hussein Obama! To Vancouver!?
Oh I know, I've never had awesome timing with anything. Haha
But all though Obama is one of my "brothas from a notha motha", you guys can keep his sorry rear down there......unless his antics drive up our prices do to all this panic buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank
Ditto on the 22 Mag. If you can stand the ammo prices(about $10/50 from what I've read).
If you don't mind handloading and if you could live with a bolt action then something in the great old 22 Hornet would be a nice way to go. You can probably load it for less then the cost of 22 Mag ammo and you'd have slightly better ballistics too. If you really want to up the ante then give the 22-250 a look. Plenty of power even for deer size game out to 200-250 yards with the right bullet and for coyotes, forget about it, you'd own em' out to 500 yards easily.
That's actually one of the reasons I'm looking for a .223 or something similar now for ammo cost. The price of .17 and .22mag are fairly close up here depending on what brands you buy. This being the case, I figured I'd pay a little extra and get out of the rimfire area of things.

As far as the .22hornet and .22-250, I've heard those are pretty hard on barrel life, or is that just with high velocity hand loads?

EDIT: on a side note, anything smaller then a .243 is legally to small to hunt deer sized game or larger up here. Think the book of regulations states the caliber has to be .23 or larger.

Last edited by kaido; 12-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TNFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: TN. U.S.A.
Posts: 293
Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

The 22 Hornet isn't hard on the barrel at all, you might be thinking about the 220 Swift, it's just a bit better then the 22-250 but ammo is also a bit harder to find.
If you want a really versatile caliber that you can use for both varmints and deer size game then give the .243 Win a look. It's not hard on the barrel and has pretty mild recoil.
__________________
http://www.infowars.com/
Member: Gun Owners of America
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!
This is the War Room!"
TNFrank is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

I am looking for a 22 mag my self. If I can't find a used one soon, I will buy a new one. Lot's of people sell guns after deer season. There is always someone that burns up their resources hunting. Then they need to sell something to get things back on track. You have people that feel let down by their deer rifle and decide to buy a new super rifle.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-25-2012 at 08:32 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TNFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: TN. U.S.A.
Posts: 293
Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

You can handload a box of 50 22 Hornets for less then what a box of 22 mags would cost and get better ballistics. Just sayin'.
__________________
http://www.infowars.com/
Member: Gun Owners of America
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!
This is the War Room!"
TNFrank is offline  
locutus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

+1 for the .22 hornet. Almost no recoil, good range, great accuracy, and cheap to reload.
texaswoodworker is offline  
locutus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,495
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Default

I suggest getting a 22-250 I think marlin has them in the x7 series I ain't sure also look at savage edge/axis I have one and I love it and seems how you got in to reloading ammo wont be to bad plus it about the same recoil of a 223
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I was actually looking at Marlins X line of rifles. I just haven't REALLY looked into them at all. But I think I'll do that since I've got an entire day to kill before Boxing Day.



That's insane, I think the highest I seem one up here (Canada) was $640.00 and the cheapest was $325.00. I won't even lie, I'm insanely surprised at the difference. Usually the guns up here are around $100.00 more.



Oh I know, I've never had awesome timing with anything. Haha
But all though Obama is one of my "brothas from a notha motha", you guys can keep his sorry rear down there......unless his antics drive up our prices do to all this panic buying.



That's actually one of the reasons I'm looking for a .223 or something similar now for ammo cost. The price of .17 and .22mag are fairly close up here depending on what brands you buy. This being the case, I figured I'd pay a little extra and get out of the rimfire area of things.

As far as the .22hornet and .22-250, I've heard those are pretty hard on barrel life, or is that just with high velocity hand loads?

EDIT: on a side note, anything smaller then a .243 is legally to small to hunt deer sized game or larger up here. Think the book of regulations states the caliber has to be .23 or larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
I suggest getting a 22-250 I think marlin has them in the x7 series I ain't sure also look at savage edge/axis I have one and I love it and seems how you got in to reloading ammo wont be to bad plus it about the same recoil of a 223
Kaido, please check into the Marlin X7's. they are a great value for the amount fo rifle a person gets. they are very well made and very accurate. have an adjustable trigger, awesome recoil pad and have a pillar bedded stock. MSRP in my area is about $390-400. the Savage Axis is another one to consider as well. very good rifle for the money. but i do personally prefer the X7 over the Axis, but that's strictly a personal preference.

BigDaddy, the XS7VH is offered in the 22-250, 308 and now the 223. the 22-250 is only offered in the heavy barreled varmint version of the X7 though. the 223 is offered in the XS7VH, the XS7 and the XS7Y models.

the XS7 is the short action and the XL7 is the long action.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,760
Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank
The 22 Hornet isn't hard on the barrel at all, you might be thinking about the 220 Swift, it's just a bit better then the 22-250 but ammo is also a bit harder to find.
If you want a really versatile caliber that you can use for both varmints and deer size game then give the .243 Win a look. It's not hard on the barrel and has pretty mild recoil.
I've already got a .243, I'm just looking for something that's not to hard on recoil so I can get my girlfriend into shooting a larger caliber. Also want to be able to hit gophers farther away too, same with coyotes.......in other words, an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Kaido, please check into the Marlin X7's. they are a great value for the amount fo rifle a person gets. they are very well made and very accurate. have an adjustable trigger, awesome recoil pad and have a pillar bedded stock. MSRP in my area is about $390-400. the Savage Axis is another one to consider as well. very good rifle for the money. but i do personally prefer the X7 over the Axis, but that's strictly a personal preference.

BigDaddy, the XS7VH is offered in the 22-250, 308 and now the 223. the 22-250 is only offered in the heavy barreled varmint version of the X7 though. the 223 is offered in the XS7VH, the XS7 and the XS7Y models.

the XS7 is the short action and the XL7 is the long action.
I'm thinking I might go with either an Axis or an X7. It's what most people seem to of suggested, now ill just need to hold an X7 series rifle since I've held an Axis and rather like the feel. Still up in the air about calibers so far.
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Help deciding what AR-15 to buy. thundermonty AR-15 Discussion 28 11-07-2012 09:39 PM
Need help deciding 7mmstw Optics & Mounts 5 04-18-2012 12:23 PM
Trouble deciding on what to go with?!?! Hadouken General Rifle Discussion 14 03-08-2011 08:29 AM
well hello!, help on deciding what to buy randommj General Rifle Discussion 15 12-10-2009 07:39 PM
Need help deciding Duffy XD Forum 5 03-05-2008 12:50 AM