Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   I hate deciding calibers..... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-hate-deciding-calibers-79374/)

kaido 12-25-2012 07:19 AM

To jump to the question, 22LR or a .223? I've basically got a .22 already but it's actually my girlfriends. I don't have a .223 at all but I've wanted on for a good while now and I've been seeing more and more of that caliber coming to the Walmart by me.

What they would both be used for is gopher shooting anywhere from 10-300 yards, the .223 would be used on nothing larger then a coyote at about 300 yards or less. I've already got a .243 for deer and the reloading equipment.

I think the reason a .223 seems so "awesome" to me is that it's a low recoil caliber so there's a good chance my girlfriend would actually use it. It also just has a cool factor to me since the military uses that caliber (more or less).

So that being said, what would you guys go with? I'm still looking for essentially a budget rifle around 3-400ish. Maybe a small bit more.

shaker 12-25-2012 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Buy the 22lr....


Why ???


One answer cheaper!!!

I bought a gsg 522 and I love it. Mags hold 22 rounds and I can shoot all day.

Sig 522 is another awesome 22lr


For 500 dollars you can own a awesome 22 assault rifle and a few thousand rounds.

For 2,000 you can own an okay ar15 and 1,000 rounds. " due to current supply and demand"

sputnik1988 12-25-2012 07:39 AM

I would stay away from 223, the craziness here lately is driving the price of ammo up and making it difficult to find, only a matter of time before the shortages reach your neck of the woods.

kaido 12-25-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaker

For 500 dollars you can own a awesome 22 assault rifle and a few thousand rounds.

For 2,000 you can own an okay ar15 and 1,000 rounds. " due to current supply and demand"

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I would stay away from 223, the craziness here lately is driving the price of ammo up and making it difficult to find, only a matter of time before the shortages reach your neck of the woods.

Shaker I was actually thinking about getting the .22 simply because its cheaper. But as far as owning an "assault rifle" or AR variant, their a little pointless in my area. The gun laws only let Canadians use such guns at a range and not for varmint hunting.

Sputnik, that's my "fear." I don't want to walk into the gun store and find out their clean out of .223, even the 500round ammo cans. So I'm still not totally sure.

sputnik1988 12-25-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1065317)
Shaker I was actually thinking about getting the .22 simply because its cheaper. But as far as owning an "assault rifle" or AR variant, their a little pointless in my area. The gun laws only let Canadians use such guns at a range and not for varmint hunting.

Sputnik, that's my "fear." I don't want to walk into the gun store and find out their clean out of .223, even the 500round ammo cans. So I'm still not totally sure.

Have you looked into something like 17 HMR? They can usually be had in bolt action form for a few hundred dollars.

kaido 12-25-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988

Have you looked into something like 17 HMR? They can usually be had in bolt action form for a few hundred dollars.

I've actually just traded one of my guns for a Savage 93R17 and I love it. But I'm looking for something that's either cheaper to shoot or let's me reach out a good ways while still being cheap.

sputnik1988 12-25-2012 08:16 AM

I'd probably go with 223 then, just buy up a couple thousand rounds of ammo while it's available and affordable.

There's always the 7.62x54R:eek: It's cheap... overkill, but cheap, plus IIRC you can buy SVT40s for a lot less up there.

kaido 12-25-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I'd probably go with 223 then, just buy up a couple thousand rounds of ammo while it's available and affordable.

There's always the 7.62x54R:eek: It's cheap... overkill, but cheap, plus IIRC you can buy SVT40s for a lot less up there.

Pending on what the store has in stock, that's probably what I'll end up doing. They did a total over haul of their website a couple of moths ago and still haven't put up any of their prices yet. I'm kind of hoping that with it being Boxing Day I can get some kind of deal on a purchase.

I actually looked into an SVT when I first got my FAC, planned on going with a bunch of older style military firearms for a collection. I just couldn't find anywhere that sells them aside from online and out of my province. I also want something I can get accurate factory ammunition for until I buy some reloading dies for said caliber.

Axxe55 12-25-2012 09:45 AM

you're right the 223 is very gentle in regards to recoil. can be very accurate at the distances you stated.

might i suggest the Marlin XS7VH in 223? well within the budget you have listed. IIRC, you are in Canada, so your price might be a little higher, but MSRP here is $396. i gave about $370 for my XS7VH in 308. since you already are starting to reload, just add the 223 into the mix as well.

sputnik1988 12-25-2012 11:54 AM

I would love to have an SVT, but they are about $1000 in the states. :(


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.