I got a new rifle, but I need a little help with information. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I got a new rifle, but I need a little help with information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanks. It occurres to me that no one had to help me out with this, but you still took the time to give me advise. Thanks everyone.

Hey, if anyone knows anything about the Soviet Mosin Nagant, please help me out on my thread:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-got-new-rifle-but-i-need-little-help-information-103818/

Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #42

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Hey, anyone know how big those stripper clips are supposed to be? I got some and found out that they were made in China, and I'm really doubting that they can make a good clip for a Soviet gun.

Hey, if anyone knows anything about the Soviet Mosin Nagant, please help me out on my thread:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-got-new-rifle-but-i-need-little-help-information-103818/

Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

The multi tool will cost you anywhere between $2 and 10. It is handy for unscrewing the firing pin and for gauging it on the bolt face. The Internet is full of videos and instructions. Odds are your FP was ok out if the crate, only a very large protrusion may perforate the primer pocket.

Cleaning a Mosin is common sense simple. I start with some water to remove the corrosive primer salt from the bore, then like any bolt action. The very first scrubbing after the rifle is bought should be thorough, especially for the bore - hot water with soap first.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #44

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Absolutely do not shoot the rifle until you can properly adjust the firing pin protrusion, the gauge is a go/no go measurement. The pin must protrude .075 inch to assure you of not having a hang fire. The protrusion must not be more than .095 inch to alleviate primer penetration. Both situations can be lethal. Like Clint said; "are you feeling lucky". If you have access to micrometers that measure depth of a hole, you can measure this way. The slot at the rear has to line up when the protrusion measures between these two measurements to be able to assemble the bolt. The problem is the slot will line up also when the protrusion is way off or just close.
The big problem with the Mosin Nagant is many people buy them as a first gun and have little or no knowledge of firearms and try to learn by trial and error. In this case error could be catastrophic. Just because the gun doesn't blow up the first time you fire it does not necessarily mean it is safe. My advise is to learn all you can, get the tool, and then enjoy your rifle. They are a blast!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #45

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Angel View Post
Hey, anyone know how big those stripper clips are supposed to be? I got some and found out that they were made in China, and I'm really doubting that they can make a good clip for a Soviet gun.
They should be able to make a decent clip for a Soviet gun, since the Soviets set up the factory and tooling originally as part of their foreign support of fellow communists.

Chinese used MN rifles and carbines since before the Korean war and into the Viet Nam era.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #46

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Absolutely do not shoot the rifle until you can properly adjust the firing pin protrusion, the gauge is a go/no go measurement. The pin must protrude more than .075 inch to assure you of not having a hang fire. The protrusion must be less than .095 inch to alleviate primer penetration. Both situations can be lethal. Like Clint said; "are you feeling lucky". If you have access to micrometers that measure depth of a hole, you can measure this way. The slot at the rear has to line up when the protrusion measures between these two measurements to be able to assemble the bolt. The problem is the slot will line up also when the protrusion is way off or just close.
The big problem with the Mosin Nagant is many people buy them as a first gun and have little or no knowledge of firearms and try to learn by trial and error. In this case error could be catastrophic. Just because the gun doesn't blow up the first time you fire it does not necessarily mean it is safe. My advise is to learn all you can, get the tool, and then enjoy your rifle. They are a blast!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #47

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

go over to russian-mosin-nagant.com for info, absolutely everything is there.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #48

Liked 2491 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

There are a couple of publications which you might

enjoy. There's "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" by Terence W. Lapin,

now probably in it's 6th or 7th printing.

And there is "The Official Soviet Mosin-Nagant Rifle Manual"

with original illustrations, and translation by Major James F.

Gebhardt, US Army(Retired)- IIRC, both are available from

Paladin Press...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #49
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

If your dad has a dial micrometer or a set of feeler gauges to set spark plugs, you can use either of those to get the proper protrusion. When you open the micrometer jaws the shaft extends out the other end to get the proper measurement. With feeler gauges you stack them to get the correct thickness.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."