I could use some help identifying a 1873 Winchester. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I could use some help identifying a 1873 Winchester.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgustaveson View Post
it is almost undoubtedly a sporting model.

The rifle has a slide mechanism in the butt that holds extra rounds

First, can somebody help me determine the round this gun takes?

the compartment in the butt (which may be a stock component for all I know).
If it is a 24 inch full octogon barrel, I believe the official Winchester designation was a "sporting rifle." There were two "standard" models. The 24inch octogon barrel sporting rifle and a 20 inch round barrel carbine. But you could order just about any combination that you can think of. For instance half round and half octogon barrels. Some were made with magazines shorter than full length. The standard models had straight grip stocks but you could order with pistol grip stocks. They also made some musket versions with full length forearms. You could order different barrel lengths.

That compartment in the butt was a storage compartment for a cleaning rod. I am not sure I would want to fire the gun with rounds in it.

Look on the bottom of the brass cartridge lifter. Mine has 38 cal stamped on it. That means it is chambered for .38 WCF or its current designation .38-40.

And the cleaning rod compartment in the stock was a standard item. Mine has it. Mine was made in 1891

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.