Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   i can see how this may consume my life (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-can-see-how-may-consume-my-life-16216/)

Hot Sauce NARC 07-28-2009 07:00 AM

i can see how this may consume my life

I have been kinda busy lately getting this all together but i i fell as if i should keep you informed, basically something else to read instead of working (quick look was that your boss you just heard clearing his throat?)

A long few months of reading, research, and several hundred newbie questions later i have come to this point. I finally bought my first bolt action.

I went with the Savage BVSS w/accutrigger in .223 26 heavy free floated fluted barrel. rate of twist? not exactly sure the website and almost all somewhat credible info on the web says 1in9 but when i bought it i decided to be a dick and ask the box store gun shop guy what the rate of twist was, and he looked it up by part number and he said 1in7 so now im a little confused but more on that later. O price 850 out of the door i know i got a little screwed but what the hell its only money.

For optics i went with the Bushnell 4200 series elite in 6-24X40 with the mil dot reticle. 24 may be a bit much but o well ill use it as a spotting scope at the range.

Im having a guy put it all together on Thursday ill try and get some pics up Friday. a bipod is soon to follow.

Now all i need to do is buy some reloading equipment figure out how to use it, and start my long gradual decay into gun lunacy.

But seriously any suggestions on how to figure out my rate of twist would be helpful, as would favorite heavy 223 loads.

Thanks Dudes and possibly samples

M14sRock 07-28-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 135559)
I have been kinda busy lately getting this all together but i i fell as if i should keep you informed, basically something else to read instead of working (quick look was that your boss you just heard clearing his throat?)

A long few months of reading, research, and several hundred newbie questions later i have come to this point. I finally bought my first bolt action.

I went with the Savage BVSS w/accutrigger in .223 26 heavy free floated fluted barrel. rate of twist? not exactly sure the website and almost all somewhat credible info on the web says 1in9 but when i bought it i decided to be a dick and ask the box store gun shop guy what the rate of twist was, and he looked it up by part number and he said 1in7 so now im a little confused but more on that later. O price 850 out of the door i know i got a little screwed but what the hell its only money.

For optics i went with the Bushnell 4200 series elite in 6-24X40 with the mil dot reticle. 24 may be a bit much but o well ill use it as a spotting scope at the range.

Im having a guy put it all together on Thursday ill try and get some pics up Friday. a bipod is soon to follow.

Now all i need to do is buy some reloading equipment figure out how to use it, and start my long gradual decay into gun lunacy.

But seriously any suggestions on how to figure out my rate of twist would be helpful, as would favorite heavy 223 loads.

To measure your rate of twist, try this.

Take a cleaning rod with a tight patch in a slotted tip. Push the patch all the way through and start pulling it back. Get it started and make a witness mark on the cleaning rod with a piece of tape or a spot of liquid paper, etc. Then, as you pull the rod through, and the witness mark comes back around in a full circle, measure how many inches of cleaning rod you have pulled through. This will tell you how many inches it took to make one revolution.

I hope that makes sense.

M14sRock 07-28-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

And I had a Bausch & Lomb 6-24x40 on a Remington 788 in .223 back in the 90's. It was perfect. No overkill, as far as I was concerned.

RL357Mag 07-28-2009 02:21 PM

All barrels are different but generally with a fast twist of 1:7 through 1:9" you should get good accuracy with 69gr. Sierra BTHP Matchking bullets. The 75 gr. bullets are used for long range competitions in AR's but must be loaded singly due to their OAL. You shouldn't have this problem with the Savage.

Hot Sauce NARC 07-28-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 135566)
To measure your rate of twist, try this.

Take a cleaning rod with a tight patch in a slotted tip. Push the patch all the way through and start pulling it back. Get it started and make a witness mark on the cleaning rod with a piece of tape or a spot of liquid paper, etc. Then, as you pull the rod through, and the witness mark comes back around in a full circle, measure how many inches of cleaning rod you have pulled through. This will tell you how many inches it took to make one revolution.

I hope that makes sense.

ya it makes sense i actually found somthing on the web similar last night when i was bored, it measured 1 in9 well actually 9 1/4 but ill chalk that up to me being sloppy. idk why i was paranoid about it i shouldnt have listened to that guy and just went with what the company that made it said.

robocop10mm 07-28-2009 04:06 PM

1/9 with a 26"er? Heavies should be good to go. The proof is in the pudding though. That is the best part of handloading, experimentation. Play with it and find out what it likes.

stalkingbear 07-28-2009 05:08 PM

62 gr & up SHOULD prove to be winning weight in regards to accuracy with 1-9.

753X0 07-28-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

How heavy of a bullet do you want to shoot? 1 in 9 is good up to about 70 grs.
If you want to shoot the real heavies 80 to 100 grs, you're going to need 1 in 7. IMHO 69 grs. would be as heavy as you would want to go.