Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I Bought an Eddystone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default I Bought an Eddystone 1917 Today

I was at the gunshop where I used to work earlier today and as usual, I was browsing the wares.

I found a sporterized 1917 Eddystone for $199. So guess what I did? (like the thread title didn't give it away)

It has an old Redfield scope on it right now, and it's pretty fogged out, so I'll replace it.

It's a heavy SOB, the stock weighs a ton. So my plan is to shorten the stock so it fits me better and to re-sculpt the stock to lighter and slimmer proportions. It's a Monte Carlo with a rather large pistol grip, so it should reshape nicely. It's walnut and has nice figuring. It also has the old style inset Pachmayr sling swivels and I really like those, so they stay. When it's done, I'll do an oil finish on it.

The barrel is immaculate and the rifling is superb. It needs a good cleaning and lubrication, and it should make an excellent shooter.

I am down to two rifles, my Garand and my 10/22 and I want a hunting rifle. I am a huge fan of .30-06, so this also helps me keep my ammunition requirements to as few calibers as possible.

I figure the Eddystone is an extremely stout action, so I can use modern hunting loads in it as well as the Greek Surplus that I shoot in the M1.

The only negative is that the barrel has some blueing loss and pitting on the outside for about four inches down from the muzzle. I may or may not bother with cold blueing it. I may just opt for keeping it clean and oiled.
I really don't care, I didn't buy it for looks, but to have a longer range thumper that I can reach out and touch stuff with.

I'm good with the Garand, but having a scoped rifle is a nice option to have.

I'll pick it up in ten freaking days. (thank you Kalifornia) I'll post pics of the rifle and then the finished product.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-17-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Too bad you aren't going to restore it to it's full military glory. Good buy though.

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

It's beyond restoration. It'd been drilled and tapped and the sights were removed.

I couldn't have found a stock/correct one for the price and money is incredibly tight right now. But it will do what I want it to do.

When money gets a bit looser, I would like a correct 1903 Springfield.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Too bad about the damage, but it's still a useful tool for you.

Are you looking for period correct, or all one manufacturer? I haven't seen any WWI stocks anywhere, but I haven't been looking for a while either. No money here, no guns or parts for me too....

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #5

I will just be looking for an '03 shooter. I have a 1943 Springfield Garand and it's a mixmaster with a Winchester bolt and a Buffalo barrel, but is mostly Springfield. That's all I want in the '03, the right components. Although it will likely have to be a mixmaster because of price. An '03A3 would be fine too.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sporterized or not you stole that gun for $199!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Sporterized or not you stole that gun for $199!
Do you really think so RL? The price was actually $229. but I got the good guy price.

...and I should correct myself, I stated that I wanted a correct 1903. I meant one that hadn't been Bubba'd.

Last edited by CA357; 09-18-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have 3 sporterized 1917's. Can't help myself. You got a great deal on yours. Is the stock marked anywhere? It is probably either a Fajen, or Bishop. Each would bring well over $100 on their own.

My gunsmith, Jim Hoag, told me that it would cost $200 just to have the rear sight protectors milled off due to the hardness of the steel.

Also, you can send the old Redfield in and either have it cleaned and serviced, or if they are still running the promotion you might be able to trade it in and get 50% off on the new one of your choice. Go online and check it out.

So, I'd say you did great on your buy. But it would be nice to see some pics?

Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #9

I'm in Kalifornia, so it has to stay in gun jail for ten days before I can pick it up.

But pictures will come eventually.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #10

Nice buy, I had one several years ago, could hit a five gallon bucket almost every time at 600+ yds. That was with open sites. You can probably do much better with a scope.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"