Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   I am looking for a .308 bolt action (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-am-looking-308-bolt-action-51859/)

gunny134 11-15-2011 10:06 PM

I am looking for a .308 bolt action

I am looking for a bolt action .308 with scope mounts already on it

gunny134 11-16-2011 01:09 AM

Does anyone know any good guns under $1000?

vinnytombs 11-16-2011 01:14 AM

there are two great gun companies to look at here remington makes a great gun model 700 is what I'd recommend or the 770 which is cheaper but havnt used it or rugers rifles are great they are around 700 and come with scope mounts both are very accurate and good looking guns ruger is probably the best bang for the buck you can get a stainless and laminate stock making it a great looking gun for under a grand post what choice you make

canebrake 11-16-2011 01:27 AM

Does this work for you?

Savage AXIS XP 308 W/SCP $313.00 SHIPS FREE

jpattersonnh 11-16-2011 01:40 AM

Hey Gunny, I'd steer away from the 770. Plastic where it should be metal. The Savage is a good choice. If you want to try a few different rifles out, let me know. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Tilton from my house. I'd take a look at the Howa 1500 also.

gunny134 11-16-2011 10:42 AM

I like the savage but why is so cheap? Ive seen other ones like that and they $800.

griffin81 11-16-2011 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dicks sporting goods has some cops deals on some nice .308 rifles I looked at this savage the other day it felt great and was under $500 all it would need is a decent scope to start then maybe later put a nice stock on it after a few hundred rounds.
Attachment 35074

play the victim, be the victim

PatrickHarrison 11-16-2011 12:30 PM

Absolutley do not get the remington 770 my old man uses one and its a jammer every shot jam the bolt dont open i had to open bolt handle up then get a cleanin rod to shove the brass out i dont think youd want that on follow up shots. I use either military rifles or savage arms, military rifles can be easily obtained for a good price and sporterized ie the mosin nagant m91/30 or 1903A3. Or savage rifles "definition of accuracy" and its true my 243 model 110 is a killer for the excelent price ive killed 3 bucks 2 does a javelina a turtle n mulie master knows the other thing. Im hard to please and ive picked up a remington 700 and wth is up with there bolts there sloppy crap. But hey im different but the price for savage may be cheap or exspensive but there all good look at pawn shops theres always one ive bought three savages from a specific pawn shop for less than $300

Muliemaster 11-16-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison
Absolutley do not get the remington 770 my old man uses one and its a jammer every shot jam the bolt dont open i had to open bolt handle up then get a cleanin rod to shove the brass out i dont think youd want that on follow up shots. I use either military rifles or savage arms, military rifles can be easily obtained for a good price and sporterized ie the mosin nagant m91/30 or 1903A3. Or savage rifles "definition of accuracy" and its true my 243 model 110 is a killer for the excelent price ive killed 3 bucks 2 does a javelina a turtle n mulie master knows the other thing. Im hard to please and ive picked up a remington 700 and wth is up with there bolts there sloppy crap. But hey im different but the price for savage may be cheap or exspensive but there all good look at pawn shops theres always one ive bought three savages from a specific pawn shop for less than $300

Damn buddy did ya get him lmao, an no im not gonna mount it for you

JTJ 11-16-2011 01:37 PM

Check out the Savage website. There are a lot of models and you should find one you like. The Axis is their entry rifle without the accu trigger. Prices at the dealers should be below msrp. The 11FCNS and the 11GCNS are short action for the 308 with detachable mags and accu trigger. The 11F is composite and the 11G is wood. Scope bases and rings could be installed by the dealer if it is a dedicated gun shop. They are readily available and vary in price. Go with steel rather than aluminum. A little more money but worth it in the long run. Plan on spending at least $400 or more for a scope. I have gone the cheap route and never been happy. You end up buying several scopes instead of one good one.
Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models