Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hypothetical Question – 3 Day trek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

M18 Claymores.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

As said before a .458 SOCOM and an XDm .45.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

A sling shot, 20 ga semi auto with slugs and 00, 2 ARs and a 357 mag. and night vision.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Lot of good ideas!

I would also like to bring a .458 Socom with me but the range of the SOCOM is danger close. Odds of hitting your target past 250 yards gets slim quickly and 10 rounds per mag might not be so fun once under fire.

I would bring the Spikes M4 (4x30 scope) with 62 grain 5.56 - 10-30 round p-mags
Kimber 1911 4-10 round mags and a 7 in the gun.
3-M67s
GPS
Real Tree cammo
Condor 3-day pack
Front and back class IV plates
100 ft para cord
Knife, First Aid, 2 MREs, 3-lieter Camel Pack, Pocket Radio Scanner

QUESTION:
Why bring a sidearm at all? Ods are you aren't going to use it and the ammo. That could be 5 lbs more of 5.56 (or ammo of your choice)

Dteed4094: I though you were kidding with a sling shot. but that would be a great idea to cause a distraction.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 09-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
My AR-7 in my backpack & my Auto-Mag III on my side !
That is a pretty bad ass selection. Isn't the AR-7 a .22?
I would like to see how that goes down.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1994 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Well since this is hypothetical...

I'm taking a 1911 and a radio. With a radio, I'll just call one of these.

ac130gunship0.jpg  

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
Scenario:
As a paid mercenary with 2 other men, your job is to hike into a medium-density
forest, look for signs of drug trafficking and neutralize any found and hike out.
Intelligence says drug traffickers are well armed and highly territorial; they generally
travel together in 4 to 6 on their patrols.

Over 3 days, the hike in is 12 miles. The hike out is 12 miles.
Gloves,

There are a few things you haven't mentioned, like your size and what loadout your comfortable humping. I'm 6'4" and 235 lbs and can handle a bit heavier weight than some others.

I don't like the 5.56 round for your medium density forest environment. 7.62X51 is better and you can still carry 10 mags at 20 per. Scope for 100 yards but you're still effective out to 600 from hilltops and the round is persistent through brush. The live targets you mention have used H&K G3 and FN-FAL in this environment for decades. If you are a smaller frame or opposed to this round or the firearms chambering it on principal, may I suggest the Remington 6.8 SPC. Still armor piercing, flat trajectory and a better foliage buster than 5.56 and you can mount it on your favorite Colt lower. Obviously top either with favorite optics capable of quick short- and medium- range engagement. I doubt medium density forest will allow ranges beyond that.

As for sidearm, check your specs to see if you need an Amphibian for close order dispatch. Otherwise, save the 41 oz plus ammo.

Finally, Claymores are helpful as either area denial, perimeter protection or can be used as medium-order ordinance if a building or lab is found. One or two per man is not usually prohibitive and can be dropped upon fast extraction if need be. Obvious downside is setup time.

Hope it helps!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #18

Liked 1058 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
That is a pretty bad ass selection. Isn't the AR-7 a .22?
I would like to see how that goes down.
That is what I am packing, what about the other guys with me ?

When all else fails.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #19

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The main purpose for the sling shot would bed distraction but would also take game silently. A sling shot can also be a stealthy lethal weapon with the right ammo.(see Goliath). As a young teen, I once brought home 4 rabbits with 3/8 ball bearings. Mom was shocked as she happily dressed and froze them. You can also expect to add to your arsenal when you ambush your first patrol. I would expect to take out a good number of them before they knew we were there.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 09-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
The main purpose for the sling shot would bed distraction but would also take game silently. A sling shot can also be a stealthy lethal weapon with the right ammo.(see Goliath). As a young teen, I once brought home 4 rabbits with 3/8 ball bearings. Mom was shocked as she happily dressed and froze them. You can also expect to add to your arsenal when you ambush your first patrol. I would expect to take out a good number of them before they knew we were there.
dteed, I fully agree with the usefullness of a slingshot in a kit. However, this is a tool in need of training, similar to a bow, that has a fair amount of failure if you haven't practiced a lot or have significant inherent ability, which it sounds like you may have. You should definitely include one in your kit, but other should evaluate their skill level before counting on its ability to defend themselves or provide food, at least until their competency level is known.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)