Hypothetical Purchase Scenario - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hypothetical Purchase Scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1178 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I think you guys have to define "2-3" groups. At what range? 50', or 500'? And, depending on the answer, couldn't you get an out-of-the-box gun that will do better? A $700 isn't a cheap gun, and i certainly would not pay that, knowing I had to tweak it to get it more accurate. It seems more and more that Ruger has some kind of an accuracy problem reputation with it's rifles.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #52

Liked 3187 Times on 1902 Posts
Likes Given: 2250

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I think you guys have to define "2-3" groups. At what range? 50', or 500'? And, depending on the answer, couldn't you get an out-of-the-box gun that will do better? A $700 isn't a cheap gun, and i certainly would not pay that, knowing I had to tweak it to get it more accurate. It seems more and more that Ruger has some kind of an accuracy problem reputation with it's rifles.
when i talk groups, i talk 100 yards because that is normally the measure of MOA for most (apx 1" groups at 100).

ok....here we go. been around this one a few times.

first, you don't claim an MOA gun cause you shoot a 1" group or two. to claim MOA you must shoot 3 to 5 shot groups within 1" at the same point of entry Consistently imo.

something that happens WAY more on gun boards than i have EVER seen at the range!

name another autoloading carbine that shoots better than 2-3" out of the box NOT named AR. does an SKS or AK shoot better than a mini? not from what i have seen.

so....imo 2-3" to start ain't bad. the mini will shoot better simply after break in. then, if you invest some TLC, you have a gun that shoots pretty close to AR's in the same price range. i know, because i have both and shot them side to side.

will a mini compare quality AR or bolt gun for accuracy? no way! i would never claim that. but comparable (and probably better) accuracy than garands, m1carbines, lever guns, AKs SKS, etc etc.....and in my experience, shoots about as well as AR's in the same price range

never understood the "high bar" for accuracy the mini compared to other rifles that "get a pass." '

i always though the mini as a good "in between" gun. something between an AR and AK in both cost and performance. i would never claim it a competition gun. just a good all around rifle.....and YES....PLENTY accurate to rid you of a coyote problem!

remember.....the OP asked for a coyote gun that was NOT AN AR.....only to be answered...."get an AR" by many posters......

of course, the mini isn't the only option for the OP...but it is a good one imo.

thanks for the discussion. i don't want to stir up a honest's nest with this.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #53

Liked 1178 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 779

So 300'. Ok, then……I don't know what other gun to suggest, not having much experience with centerfire rifles. Seemed like a lot to me, that's all.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #54

Liked 20 Times on 7 Posts

Well I'm just kinda partial to the 223 Cooper model 21, a little on the pricy side but worth every dollar.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #55

My wife bought me a savage axis 223 for father's day a few years ago. I recently picked out up after being gone with the army for about 8 months and it was like I never left.
The store didn't have a lefty available but i believe savage makes them.

South paw, all day, every day.