Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting rifle recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well back in the military I was a pretty good shot right out to 300 meters, so it would be nice to own a rifle that was capable of accurately striking at those distances... whether I needed to shoot that far in the field is another question.

I'm thinking of taking up deer hunting. Maybe some elk, moose. The wife and I are hoping to move to Alaska sometime soon, though we're waiting on a job offer right now.

I'd probably be doing a good amount of wooded mid-range shooting at large game.

Sorry that my original question was so lame. Hope these details help.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #12

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Well back in the military I was a pretty good shot right out to 300 meters, so it would be nice to own a rifle that was capable of accurately striking at those distances... whether I needed to shoot that far in the field is another question.

I'm thinking of taking up deer hunting. Maybe some elk, moose. The wife and I are hoping to move to Alaska sometime soon, though we're waiting on a job offer right now.

I'd probably be doing a good amount of wooded mid-range shooting at large game.

Sorry that my original question was so lame. Hope these details help.
You have a number of things going on. If I were in your shoes, maybe a couple rifles would be the ticket long term. For now a simple .308 will work just fine. Even for the largest game getting into a shooting position is critical.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but that is hunting. I'd much rather take a 100 yard shot than a 400. Much easier. There is a huge difference in punching paper at 400 and hitting live game. A .308 is great for Moose and Elk at 200 yards, whitetail at 300 yards. I prefer 6.5x55, the problem is you need to reload to get the full potential out of the cartridge. If you really are serious about a vg all around cartridge, I would suggest a 7mm Rem Mag. The MV numbers don't tell it all. Remember SD and BC? I have a line on a G series Savage 110 (Mid '90's model) That has iron sights and is new without box. $300.00. They retail for up to 1500.00 now. It is pre accu-trigger. I have an F series. It is an awesome rifle. A simple Weaver V10 scope makes it a 400 yard killer on the toughest game. PM me if you are interested in the rifle. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
For the best value affordable ones, check these:

Savage Edge
Marlin XS7 or XL7
Weatherby Vanguard

I bought a .308 Weatherby Vanguard and very happy with it.
Pretty much agree with Poink88.

Edge is a newer version of Stevens 200 with detachable magazine and a better stock, slight difference in trigger design too. But like Stevens, Edge trigger pull still too heavy and non-adjustable. Should be able to buy the Stevens for a lower price than Edge. I own both...prefer looks of Edge more. Both are accurate rifles. But had to do trigger jobs on both to reduce trigger pull to a weight acceptable to me.

Marlin XS or XL are very accurate rifles and similiar in design to the Edge/Stevens 200, but comes with an adjustable trigger. Consider the Marlin a better rifle for the money due to the adjustable trigger. Priced similiar to Edge/Stevens 200. I own a XL7 in 25-06 and have found it to be a very accurate rifle.

As to the Weatherby Vanguard, don't own one, but a good rifle and have a reputation for accuracy....costs more than Edge/Marlins. May want to consider the Howa 1500 rifles too.....Howa makes barreled actions used in the Weatherby Vanguards so basically the same rifle with different stocks.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #14

Default I went to the range yesterday

I went to the range yesterday and the 270's both mine and my wifes out shot the 308 the grouping was good but my waifes remington model 700 bdl 270 is a real nice shooter we had less than a 1/2 inch at 100 yards and that was as far as we shot with hers with mine we put a new scope on it a barska 6x24-44mm swat info red (ir) that cost me about 450. with the 5inch shde on the front at 25 yards could put one through the next but aat 100 pouldnt hit a 4'x4' target so im remounting it and gona try again. the swift that i had on my nate is now on her remi and i cant take it back but the 270 is all that our family will shoot so if someone wants a savage model 12 f/tr in 308 let me know.