hunting rifle question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > hunting rifle question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default hunting rifle question

Hey guys this may sound strange and I think i might get alot of flak for it but here it goes. I bought a weatherby vangaurd in .270 and I thought it would be a good gun but for me i find it to big and almost to much of a kick then i would like. I have since bought a few long guns, one a mossberg lever action .30-30. I am thinking of trading my vanguard in for something in a smaller round closer to the .30-30. I have been looking into a few stevens and savage rifles and would like to invest in something that will last as I am 25 and plan to do alot of hunting. I have looked into the .223 ,.243, 22-250, 23-06, 308. I would also like a left hand model if possible due to right handed works but sucks to be left handed lol. Anyway any help would be great. Im not new to guns just not very fimilar with rifle cartridages.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 164

If you got it in 270 weatherby Mag you might try the plain 270 winchester not the 270 WSM. My aunt took 2nd place Boon & Crockett Mtn. Caribou with one.
It is a lot sweeter shooting, try to rent one at a range or try a buddies first to see if you like the feel.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

I am an advocate of the 22-250. Great round. At 50-60gr. fast, and just barely enough recoil to knock you off target. Second choice would be a 243. Just personal preference.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #4

yea its a 270 win.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

For a deer size cartridge with less recoil, a 243 would be a good choice. the 25-06 and the 308 would have recoil the same or more than the 270. I would guess that you were using 130gr. bullets in the 270. If you were using 150 gr. then you could switch to 130's and maybe be happy with what you now own.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #6

You could try a different gun, the stock on those weatherbys arent a great design for recoil, they tend to jump up more than they should for the caliber. 25/06 has alot less recoil than a 270 and is a flat shooting hard hitting round, ive used mine to drop a good 30 red deer most have been one shot bang flops. I now shoot a winchester extreme weather in 270 as my deer gun but got it last week and havnt shot anything with it yet. Its a good idea to decide what game and what range you want to shoot with your rifle dont let recoil dictate your caliber choice, you can tame recoil I dont know your legal requirements over there but here in New Zealand we can suppress our rifles or use a muzzle break.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #7

Well I looked this morning it is 150 gr that i have shot. Im looking into trying a 130 grain and maybe trying my cousins ruger 270. I like the look of the ruger and the size is smaller then what i have. I find the gun to big for me all around but if i can get it to not seem so harsh when i shoot it i would love to keep it. I plan to kill deer with the rifle not much more around here.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
Well I looked this morning it is 150 gr that i have shot. Im looking into trying a 130 grain and maybe trying my cousins ruger 270. I like the look of the ruger and the size is smaller then what i have. I find the gun to big for me all around but if i can get it to not seem so harsh when i shoot it i would love to keep it. I plan to kill deer with the rifle not much more around here.
If all you really plan on killing is deer, any one of the smaller calibers will work for you. Muzzle breaks are always an option, a good after market recoil pad could be an option. Also, if you shoot a heavier gun, maybe like a bull barrel or fluted bull barrel, that could help too. Also, something to think about would be if you have access to reloading. I know you can get some 100gr round for a 270, and you could back the powder off on them to decrease some of that recoil and still have plenty of power to shoot deer. I have a 270 and shoot 130gr rounds. There is fair recoil, but I think if you did any of the recommendations for myself and others on this thread, you can manage it and make it work well. The 270 is a great all around round in my opinion. There isn't anything that you are over or under powered to kill with it. Good luck with your decisions.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, take a look at a Kick EEZ sorbothane recoil pad for it before you spend or possibly lose money trading it or swapping your rifle. I put one on a Marlin 1895 45/70 I rehabbed and it felt like shooting a 30-30.

The link I'm giving you is to a website that's run by a great guy who's a former combat Marine. He is absolutely a man of integrity and he will help you if you ask.

Link: KICK EEZ recoil pads and products

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #10

Thanks ill try that and dropping the grain to the 130 to see what happens