Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Rifle newbie

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,774
Liked 19457 Times on 11055 Posts
Likes Given: 49065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
Sounds about right, the barrel has the jm marks which I believe are a marlin proof
the newer ones have RP on the barrel. there are still some that have JM on the barrels even when Remington bought them out. probably left over barrels they were using up because they had them.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I've been wanting to pick up a 336 for a while now...is it still better to get an older marlin then to get a new one?

__________________
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,774
Liked 19457 Times on 11055 Posts
Likes Given: 49065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
I've been wanting to pick up a 336 for a while now...is it still better to get an older marlin then to get a new one?
the older ones are much nicer to look at, but many of the problems they had with teaching new employees on building lever action rifles have been worked out. the newer ones that i have looked at recently look and feel great. but given a choice, i would rather have an older one. the wood and blueing seem much nicer.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 842
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

the older ones are much nicer to look at, but many of the problems they had with teaching new employees on building lever action rifles have been worked out. the newer ones that i have looked at recently look and feel great. but given a choice, i would rather have an older one. the wood and blueing seem much nicer.
I agree mine has a few rust spots in the blueing and I don't want to take steel wool to it and ruin the finish totally
__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,774
Liked 19457 Times on 11055 Posts
Likes Given: 49065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
I agree mine has a few rust spots in the blueing and I don't want to take steel wool to it and ruin the finish totally
get you some Kano Kroil and some soft cloths or very, very fine steel wool and lightly rub out the metal. i did one of my fathers rifles like this, after it had been in his gun safe for over 16 years and it did wonders for it and it turned out looking great. it had some minor surface rust on the metal as well.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 842
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

get you some Kano Kroil and some soft cloths or very, very fine steel wool and lightly rub out the metal. i did one of my fathers rifles like this, after it had been in his gun safe for over 16 years and it did wonders for it and it turned out looking great. it had some minor surface rust on the metal as well.
Thanks axxe I'll try it out when I Clean after a little range time
__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,774
Liked 19457 Times on 11055 Posts
Likes Given: 49065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
Thanks axxe I'll try it out when I Clean after a little range time
Kano Kroil can be used for bore cleaning as well and is a very good penetrating oil too. i started using it a cuple of years ago on the suggestion of Canebrake and C3. great stuff. and it's not priced bad and goes a long ways.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie with unidentified Bolt Action Rifle jpn8801 General Rifle Discussion 24 06-09-2012 06:01 PM
best rifle for a newbie? emilysometimes Training & Safety 7 06-05-2012 12:54 AM
Newbie needs advice about first rifle shakermakeruk General Rifle Discussion 22 01-29-2012 09:21 PM
Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle chrstian_indy General Rifle Discussion 61 07-19-2011 12:32 PM
Newbie.. help me choose a rifle! JT426 General Rifle Discussion 36 05-19-2011 01:09 PM