Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Hunting Rifle newbie (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hunting-rifle-newbie-88928/)

juststartin5272 04-16-2013 04:17 PM

Hunting Rifle newbie

So me and my wife have decided we are moving to a much more rural area in the next few months. Her family owns some land out there and I've been told deer are present. Never been much of a deer hunter but mostly because of location and cost of leases and such. So now I'm in the market for a good starter setup for a deer rifle. Not really sure what to get or what caliber? Any suggestions?

firemonkey150 04-16-2013 04:27 PM

I know people that use .243, I prefer a .270 or .30 cal

TLuker 04-16-2013 04:43 PM

Get a good bolt action in 7mm-08 with at least a 3x9x40 scope. Brand is personal preference. All the standard manufactures are putting out pretty good rifles. That is based on the assumption that you will be in area where your shots will be average distance of 100 to 200 yards.

And if you can afford it don't get the lowest price rifle from any of the manufactures. All of the higher end models are built better. Get a good one and it will last a life time so don't be afraid to spend that little extra to get a good one.

Good hunting!:)

SSGN_Doc 04-16-2013 04:54 PM

terrain, and size and species of deer can make a difference. I like the handiness of leverguns for thick woods where shots are likely to be close.

I Like bolt actions and more powerful cartridges for longer reach if hunting clearings, draws, or open spaces.

I'm a .30 cal fan. I have a marlin 336 in .30-30 that I consider my swampy woods/brush rifle. I've got a Sako in .30-06 that is my "reach out and touch it" rifle.
I also have an old Mauser '95 that was sporterized by my grandfather and belonged to my grandmother. It makes a good general purpose hunting rifle and loaner for friends who want to hunt. It's chambered in 7x57mm Mauser, and has put many a deer on the table (especially if they were stupid enough to eat out of my grandmothers garden in deer season).

juststartin5272 04-16-2013 06:55 PM

I know for a fact I don't want a 7mm-08, I would prefer something a little bigger and the ammo tends to be a bit harder to find in my area. .308 is definitely out of the question because I don't wanna be stuck struggling for ammo in a time of crisis. I've been looking at the Ruger American or the Remington 770 any thoughts on these

godale 04-16-2013 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
remington model 7 in 243. accuracy with the bolt action. small and handy kike a lever. last if one is new to high powered rifles i recommend a 243

godale 04-16-2013 07:20 PM

also unless the 770 is 200 out the door, for the cost of new the savage axis and ruger american are close to the price and are better rifles. i hear the marlins are good too.heck heard soewhere that at wallmart the mossbergs are 199.00 still better than a 770. i dont think 770s are that awfull just for the price you can do alot better good luck

nitestalker 04-16-2013 07:57 PM

When you move out to your new place check around. The hunters who have resided in that area will give you better advise. The responders on the forum have no idea of the restriction or topography you will in counter.:)

Axxe55 04-16-2013 08:22 PM

you should look into the Marlin X7 series, the Savage Axis series and the Mossberg ATR100 series. IMO, i wouldnt even give consideration to the M770 with too many others beng price at or close to the M770 that are vastly superior in construction and accuracy.

and without know the layout of the area, it would be difficult to suggest a particular caliber, except for the 30-06!

NOVA 04-16-2013 09:09 PM

Best advice yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1216004)
When you move out to your new place check around. The hunters who have resided in that area will give you better advise. The responders on the forum have no idea of the restriction or topography you will in counter.:)

Absolutey agree with this advice. Wait till you get out there and meet some of the locals - There are parts of the country that have restrictions on types (or caliber) of ammo - or shotguns only. The terrain will definitely be a factor and of course the species of deer. Will you stalk or use a stand?