Hunting Rifle - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I have a winchester M70 7mmwsm, i know that the wsm version isnt as popular as what was thought but i love it. I bought it not too longer after they came out, its a tack driver and a heavy hitting sucker.

__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
270win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i was kind of thinking the same thing! i have two cousins who elk hunt every year in Colorado, one uses a 270 and the other one uses a 7mm Mag. both come home with plenty of elk meat! proper bullets and shot placement, has taken just about every animal in North America.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Seen elk killed with a .243, 6mm 25-06. Take a good shot and your fine.
__________________
270win is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Seen elk killed with a .243, 6mm 25-06. Take a good shot and your fine.
i agree, well said. proper ammo, shot placement and some patience will usually drop just about anything.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I have a winchester M70 7mmwsm, i know that the wsm version isnt as popular as what was thought but i love it. I bought it not too longer after they came out, its a tack driver and a heavy hitting sucker.
it's putting the same amount of power into a shorter and fatter case so they can be used in a shorter actioned rifle. nothing wrong with it if you like the short mags.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

it's putting the same amount of power into a shorter and fatter case so they can be used in a shorter actioned rifle. nothing wrong with it if you like the short mags.
I do really like it, i just worry about ammo availability in the upcoming years. Whenever i first bought it,you could buy ammo all day long for $24.99 a box. Now availability isnt "as good" and the price has gotten higher. I hate getting rid of guns that i really like, BUT if i ever decided to sell or trade it, it would be the sole purpose that i fear the availability and price of ammo.
__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
270win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

I do really like it, i just worry about ammo availability in the upcoming years. Whenever i first bought it,you could buy ammo all day long for $24.99 a box. Now availability isnt "as good" and the price has gotten higher. I hate getting rid of guns that i really like, BUT if i ever decided to sell or trade it, it would be the sole purpose that i fear the availability and price of ammo.
That's part of the reason I'm not a short mag fan. The other is how everybody calls a 7mm mag a barrel burner cause a big ole case with a small diameter bullet. Then the short mags come out and they're better than anything else. Ironic really. But don't you just love the m70? Massive non rotating claw extractor.
__________________
270win is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Model70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 263
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIOR78

270 is good for 100lbs. but if you are going to hunt bigger game your gonna need a .308 or 30-06. 270 is good for here in California where deer is only about 100lbs maybe a little bigger.
Pretty easy to tell the hunters from the range ninja's, ain't it.

270 will kill anything needs killed as far as you have any business shooting it.

I can throw a baseball flatter than a damn .308 shoots.

I love my 30-06. Winchester Model 70. Kill anything in North America. 270 shoots a little flatter, 30-06 is more versatile. Can't go wrong either way.

I don't care for the Remington 700 either. Controlled Round Feed till I die.
__________________
Model70 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
270win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70

Pretty easy to tell the hunters from the range ninja's, ain't it.

270 will kill anything needs killed as far as you have any business shooting it.

I can throw a baseball flatter than a damn .308 shoots.

I love my 30-06. Winchester Model 70. Kill anything in North America. 270 shoots a little flatter, 30-06 is more versatile. Can't go wrong either way.

I don't care for the Remington 700 either. Controlled Round Feed till I die.
Guess us Utah boys just like quality!
__________________
270win is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win

That's part of the reason I'm not a short mag fan. The other is how everybody calls a 7mm mag a barrel burner cause a big ole case with a small diameter bullet. Then the short mags come out and they're better than anything else. Ironic really. But don't you just love the m70? Massive non rotating claw extractor.
Yep, love the model 70
__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mercer,Pennsylvania
Posts: 22
Default

I think I am going to save up for the Savage 111 TH XP in .270 it comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope.

__________________
sniperrifleman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What rifle is best for hunting? sizir1shotguns Hunting Forum 32 01-15-2013 03:04 PM
Looking to buy a new rifle for elk hunting. horton General Rifle Discussion 26 01-15-2013 01:02 AM
Where to zero a hunting rifle dks7895 Optics & Mounts 10 01-14-2012 05:47 PM
Hunting rifle Rothey10 General Rifle Discussion 66 09-03-2011 12:32 PM
Hunting Rifle yo_doug General Rifle Discussion 5 05-28-2007 06:05 PM