Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
It all depends on your loads or the type of ammo. With a 200 yard zero you could be looking at a 25" to a 40" drop at 500 yards. Roughly double that for a 1000 and add in windage. That is why I don't shoot too far when there's wind. A little bit of wind can go a long way to that bullet.
W/ a 185gr Barnes BT .338 and a MV of 3080. Set at 200 yard zero you would have 36.4" drop at 500 yards, 294" at 1000. 106" at 700, So your estimation of 50...80" of drop @ 1000 yards does not even come close to 700 yards. And you shoot p-dogs w/ it. This is the type of internet BS that causes runners, injured animals, irresponsable hunting practices that give the real hunters a bad name and make every wanna be think he is Carlos Hathcock.

Look, if you just bought a new rifle and want to go hunting w/ it, I'm good w/ that. I'm sure that most guys have gone through a phase of wanting to be the great white hunter, but be realistic. I'm good w/ 150yards w/ a 9.3x57, open sights. 300 yards w/ a 6.5x55 and a 4x32mm scope. 400 yards w/ a 7mm rem mag and a 2-10x38mm scope. Have I taken longer shots, you bet. W/ a Howa HB .308 6-24x42mmAO at 700 yards, F-class. I changed that rifles scope to a 4-12x42mmAO so now it is practical for hunting. 400 yards now, I'm happy w/ that. Please don't claim to be something your not. There are great guys here, they could help you become better. It seems you need a ballistics calculater to help you understand what a shot will take. You had the right idea about a card w/ scope adjustments, but you need the correct info used in real shooting.
I'm not giving up on you yet. Here is a ballistics calculator to help you.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 08-28-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #32

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

A ballistic calculator is your friend! The farthest I have ever taken a deer is 238 yards (I think, its been a while). Personally, I think I was young and foolish for taking that shot with a single shot 243 NEF with a 3-9X scope and cheap ammo. I had NEVER practiced at that distance and should have never taken that shot. Even at 300 yards with a 223, the wind will play he!! with your bullet. I am not trying to be mean kid, just think you should get your facts straight and stop trying to be something you're clearly not.

Like JP said, there are a lot of guys with A LOT of knowledge here that can help you. I am on this site everyday, but instead of posting I am reading. I ask more questions than answer because I know that there are many more here that can give waaaayyyyyyy better advice than I can at this time. When you put false information on here, you might be misleading people and thus someone less knowledgable could be hurt because you wanted everyone to think you were cool.

Long range shooting is not something that everyone can do. I know I can't. I cannot at this time take any rifle and make adjustments to hit a static target a 1000 yards. I have not practiced and would know nothing to do to make my bullet hit where I want. The good news is that I would love to learn and there is still time to do that.

You should read a little more and soak up all the knowledge you can from the guys who have been there and done that. It is amazing what you can learn if you close your mouth and open your ears

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Rothey, I would admire to see you shoot. Why don't you and JP get together and make a video to post up so we can all delight in it?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
A ballistic calculator is your friend! The farthest I have ever taken a deer is 238 yards (I think, its been a while). Personally, I think I was young and foolish for taking that shot with a single shot 243 NEF with a 3-9X scope and cheap ammo. I had NEVER practiced at that distance and should have never taken that shot. Even at 300 yards with a 223, the wind will play he!! with your bullet. I am not trying to be mean kid, just think you should get your facts straight and stop trying to be something you're clearly not.

Like JP said, there are a lot of guys with A LOT of knowledge here that can help you. I am on this site everyday, but instead of posting I am reading. I ask more questions than answer because I know that there are many more here that can give waaaayyyyyyy better advice than I can at this time. When you put false information on here, you might be misleading people and thus someone less knowledgable could be hurt because you wanted everyone to think you were cool.

Long range shooting is not something that everyone can do. I know I can't. I cannot at this time take any rifle and make adjustments to hit a static target a 1000 yards. I have not practiced and would know nothing to do to make my bullet hit where I want. The good news is that I would love to learn and there is still time to do that.

You should read a little more and soak up all the knowledge you can from the guys who have been there and done that. It is amazing what you can learn if you close your mouth and open your ears
I can't hit anything at a 1000 yards with any other rifles I have. Not one of them except the one that Harry made me. He made it for that purpose only. Why would I say I have and could hit something from that far if I couldn't. I have no reason to lie. Never said I was a sniper. You couldn't hand me a rifle and tell me to hit a target at a thousand yards because I couldn't. I can only do it with my custom rifle. An like I said before I can't shoot tight groups at that distance. Realistically I can't hit the target every time at a thousand yards but 6 an 700 I hit the paper every time. Still not the tightest groups. I never could come close to being like Carlos hatchcock. The man is unbelievable. But I have shot one thousand yard target before and hit them. You guys can believe it or you cant. The only reason I've even continued this is because I know you people are intelligent and I can learn a lot about real shooting with a regular gun from you guys. But I can honestly say that without my custom rifle a thousand yard shot is way out of my range. Without that gun I never took a shot at anything outside of 200 yards because that's the furthest my guns have been sighted in at. Sorry if I confused you guys into thinking I was cocky and could hit the target every time with any rifle.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Tone it down.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #35

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Well, usually people tend to practice to shoot at shorter distances first, then move up. I myself am not comfortable to shoot anything past 300yds and so I keep practicing at that level. I guess what made people call BS on you is first telling your making 700yds shots on deer, then telling your getting over dime sized groupings at 100yds...

Just my 2 cents...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #36

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Well, usually people tend to practice to shoot at shorter distances first, then move up. I myself am not comfortable to shoot anything past 300yds and so I keep practicing at that level. I guess what made people call BS on you is first telling your making 700yds shots on deer, then telling your getting over dime sized groupings at 100yds...

Just my 2 cents...
Aleksi! Have you seen a potato chucker like this lately?
9.3x57 Husqvarna M46a

I Restocked this 1955 Husqvarna large ring this past winter. 8x57.

I have the original stock, but it is worth more then the rifle by itself, so...
I want to hunt w/ it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR

Just my 2 cents...
I would never in a million years plan on shooting my 270 30-06 30-30 or anything like that at a deer that far away. I just said I could hit one with my custom gun because I had it built to shoot long distance. I'm just an average guy with a well built rifle. I love leaning new stuff and I'd love to feel comfortable shooting all my rifles at long distances but that won't happen. Will I try hitting a deer from that far away idk that I will because if it's not a clean kill I may not find that deer and it does give us hunters a bad name. But groundhogs and prairie dogs yeah I do and will shoot at them because it's either a clean kill or a miss.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Tone it down

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
9.3x57 Husqvarna M46a

I want to hunt w/ it.
What is that? I've never heard of that before.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #39

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
9.3x57 Husqvarna M46a

I want to hunt w/ it.
Only Husqarna in 9.3x57 I could find had a different stock than yours, so no We have a strong hunting tradition in Finland but Mosins chambered in different calibers are the most abundant.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR

Only Husqarna in 9.3x57 I could find had a different stock than yours, so no We have a strong hunting tradition in Finland but Mosins chambered in different calibers are the most abundant.
AleksiR what is a Husqarna? I've never heard of that.