Hunting rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,152
Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
I use a spotting scope for the far shots to find the ground hogs deer etc. I use a leupold 8.5-25x50mm and you'd be surprised once you've seen the deer how easy it is to spot it with my leupold. Plus as you prob know when a gun is sighted in it's not hard to hit a stationary target. Esp when you know exactly how many clicks to go up on your scope for every distance up to 1500 yards. With a little practice and the right gun it's truly amazing how easy it is to reach out and hit targets from extreme distances. As far as your friend goes he could prob do that from a much further distance. It doesn't take a total badass to hit something at 300 yards on the run. It doesn't take a total badass to hit something standing still at 1000+. My 60 year old uncle hit a running deer in 22 acre field from his tree stand. He did that with his custom rifle built by the same man who built mine.
Who is it? Second time I've asked.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dteed4094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 793
Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

So what is the difference in hold over between 1400 yds and 1500 yds with your 338 mag? Just curious!! I'm betting you cant cover 5 shots with a quarter at 200 yds, This is what you are saying. I gotta think JP is on the right track. You probably never hunted Pa. or been there for that matter.

__________________

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

dteed4094 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Who is it? Second time I've asked.
Harry Suarez. And how did you highlight the statement in red to let me know what you were talking about.
__________________
Rothey10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
So what is the difference in hold over between 1400 yds and 1500 yds with your 338 mag? Just curious!! I'm betting you cant cover 5 shots with a quarter at 200 yds, This is what you are saying. I gotta think JP is on the right track.
Not a quarter but a half dollar. Like I said to JP is that when the gun was built I was handed a paper with how many clicks to take each scope adjustment down or up to hit that target at each range. What's challenging is when it's a far shot at an odd distance like 1075 where it's not quite 1100 but not at all 1000. That's when it gets hard.
__________________
Rothey10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,152
Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
Harry Suarez. And how did you highlight the statement in red to let me know what you were talking about.
I got an edjumacation when I was a youngun.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,152
Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
Not a quarter but a half dollar. Like I said to JP is that when the gun was built I was handed a paper with how many clicks to take each scope adjustment down or up to hit that target at each range. What's challenging is when it's a far shot at an odd distance like 1075 where it's not quite 1100 but not at all 1000. That's when it gets hard.
OK half dollar at 100 yards, that will double at 200 yards, 3" give or take. 6" at 400 yards, 12" at 800 yards. And you have a peice of paper that tells you how many clicks. Hell of a way to go hunting. What do you set at for zero, distance that is.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

OK half dollar at 100 yards, that will double at 200 yards, 3" give or take. 6" at 400 yards, 12" at 800 yards. And you have a peice of paper that tells you how many clicks. Hell of a way to go hunting. What do you set at for zero, distance that is.
It's zeroed at 100 seeings that 95% of the deer I shoot are behind the stand at less than 100 yards. I said it over looks about 700 yards of field that I could shoot at. Not that it's the only place I can shoot. I have four directions to watch and usually they come out behind. When deer season is over and I take it to ground hog hunting it'll be zeroed at 500 so I can adjust out there. Ground hogs are always further shots. And I never once claimed to kill everything out at that far but I did say that I have and will again and I'm not the only one I know who has done it. But that is a he'll of a way to go hunting.
__________________

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Tone it down.
Rothey10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dteed4094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 793
Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

I'm not saying it can;t be done. I'm not even saying you don't do it. I am saying, if you do make those kind of shots you are making shots that nobody I know of on this forum makes those shots. There is a lot of expertise' here and we would like some realistic pointers. Right now I have to go and dig out my waders cause my hip boots are filling up. I'll be back for the lessons later.

__________________

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

dteed4094 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
I'm not saying it can;t be done. I'm not even saying you don't do it. I am saying, if you do make those kind of shots you are making shots that nobody I know of on this forum makes those shots. There is a lot of expertise' here and we would like some realistic pointers. Right now I have to go and dig out my waders cause my hip boots are filling up. I'll be back for the lessons later.
It all depends on your loads or the type of ammo. With a 200 yard zero you could be looking at a 25" to a 40" drop at 500 yards. Roughly double that for a 1000 and add in windage. That is why I don't shoot too far when there's wind. A little bit of wind can go a long way to that bullet.
__________________
Rothey10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 716
Liked 212 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
It all depends on your loads or the type of ammo. With a 200 yard zero you could be looking at a 25" to a 40" drop at 500 yards. Roughly double that for a 1000 and add in windage. That is why I don't shoot too far when there's wind. A little bit of wind can go a long way to that bullet.
Ok????? I am going to join in on the fun here and see what happens. I have not claimed to be a guru on long range shooting...hell, I shot some 6 inch balloons the other day at 300 yards with an AR and was happier than a hog in slop! But if I remember correctly, just something I read mind you, as a bullet is on its path to the target, the farther it goes the more velocity it loses. Now simple physics tells me that if something is losing velocity, it too will lose altitude, so your theory of "roughly double that for a thousand yards" just got shot down like the gnat you hit at 3000 yards with a .22 LR.

And I was in the military and I have friends that are/were in spec ops, one was a SEAL...I know none of them that have been trained to shoot 2000 yards. That is a long ass way dude. Maybe you should get off your daddys computer and read a few books and get back to us when the lies are a bit more believable... Jus sayin....dont get mad and shoot me from 2 miles away
__________________
CaseyChadwell is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What rifle is best for hunting? sizir1shotguns Hunting Forum 32 01-15-2013 04:04 PM
Help with hunting rifle purchase Nyuu General Rifle Discussion 37 11-16-2010 05:26 AM
Hunting rifle recommendations? Snake General Rifle Discussion 13 09-26-2010 10:53 PM
Hunting rifle for daughter nappie5 Hunting Forum 26 12-13-2009 12:19 AM
Hunting Rifle yo_doug General Rifle Discussion 5 05-28-2007 07:05 PM