Hunting rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101
try a .308
I'm actually in the process of ordering parts for a .308. I've been planning on building a rifle for myself.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #12

Likes Given: 1

I am not a fan of the statement "overpowered." I shoot a 7mm rem mag and have never "overkilled" a deer with it. I think the 338 is an awesome caliber and you will be super pleased with it. I'm a big fan of 7mm, 300 win mag, and 338 win mag calibers. Probably my 3 most favorite ever.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothey10 View Post
I reload just about everything lol. Anything to save a bit of money only to put it back into another gun.
Since your reloading the 338 will kill most everything super fantastico, and do it better then most.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I am not a fan of the statement "overpowered." I shoot a 7mm rem mag and have never "overkilled" a deer with it. I think the 338 is an awesome caliber and you will be super pleased with it. I'm a big fan of 7mm, 300 win mag, and 338 win mag calibers. Probably my 3 most favorite ever.
I like to think of a shot as being too slow, just about right, or too fast at a certain distance as opposed to overpowered. However if your hunting white tail with a 416, im going with overpowered.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM

I like to think of a shot as being too slow, just about right, or too fast at a certain distance as opposed to overpowered. However if your hunting white tail with a 416, im going with overpowered.
I hunt with a guy who used a 50bmg on a deer once. Key word being once because it was obviously much more than overkill.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #16

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Where I hunt my stand overlooks a large field where I can get shots off up to about 700 yards before it starts getting too thick to see into.
700 yard shot at Whitetail that have a 9" kill zone? Not very ethical. You must be a retired Sniper. That is not hunting. Your optics must also be high magnification, which would limit close up shots. So who did the custom work on your rifle to make it accurate enough to hit a pie plate at 700 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM View Post
Since your reloading the 338 will kill most everything super fantastico, and do it better then most.
How will it kill better? Dead is dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM View Post
Velosity is not the main factor, energy transfer and penetration are. Lets not forget accuracy.

I'm not against large Magnums, If all you have is 1 rifle and it is a large magnum, so be it. Claiming to be able to take game at 700 yards w/ the rolling hills of Pa. is what I have a hard time believing. I seriously must have done something wrong in the last 50 years not to be able to hit game at 700 yards. Read this article, My Favorite sentence is " A hunter that takes or brags about 600 yard shots is either foolhardy or just plain dumb. "
A 600 yard F-class target is 24", not 9" as the kill zone on Whitetail is.

F-Class Long Range Target Shooting, Part I

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

700 yard shot at Whitetail that have a 9" kill zone? Not very ethical. You must be a retired Sniper. That is not hunting. Your optics must also be high magnification, which would limit close up shots. So who did the custom work on your rifle to make it accurate enough to hit a pie plate at 700 yards.

How will it kill better? Dead is dead!

Velosity is not the main factor, energy transfer and penetration are. Lets not forget accuracy.

I'm not against large Magnums, If all you have is 1 rifle and it is a large magnum, so be it. Claiming to be able to take game at 700 yards w/ the rolling hills of Pa. is what I have a hard time believing. I seriously must have done something wrong in the last 50 years not to be able to hit game at 700 yards. Read this article, My Favorite sentence is " A hunter that takes or brags about 600 yard shots is either foolhardy or just plain dumb. "
A 600 yard F-class target is 24", not 9" as the kill zone on Whitetail is.

F-Class Long Range Target Shooting, Part I
700 yard shot isn't anything. I hit a gallon jug at 1200 yards on the first attempt and ground hog out to a thousand all day long. Groundhogs at a thousand is smaller than a 9" kill zone and it's done in the rolling hills of PA every Saturday by my father, my uncle and myself. Not including the man that owns the property and hunts with us.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Tone it down.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #18

I have lisping scopes with 8.5-25 zoom and it doesn't really limit me on close shots.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Tone it down

Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #19

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
They did they are a liar because you never saw it happen or you have an article that says they are liars. I have lisping scopes with 8.5-25 zoom and it doesn't really limit me on close shots.
I'm Calling BS on this BS thread. An 8.5 at 100 yards is what. Your FOV is 4.3 feet at 100 yards. I'd like to see you find a whitetail w/ that. The longest shot I've ever seen in Pa. was 300 yards. A standard 3-9x40mm Bushnell scope, Winchester Mod 70 right hand bolt with a left handed shooter. This is a guy that roamed the desert in 1991 and is one real bad @ss. The shot was on the move.
Some moron tried a long shot, hit the deer in the hind and my buddy finish it w/ a headshot while the deer was on the run at 300 yards. The @sshole that shot it was pissed that Anton ruined the mount. He showed up 20 minutes after he put it down. What are the odds that he would have ever found the buck. You are a moron. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

I'm Calling BS on this BS thread. An 8.5 at 100 yards is what. Your FOV is 4.3 feet at 100 yards. I'd like to see you find a whitetail w/ that. The longest shot I've ever seen in Pa. was 300 yards. A standard 3-9x40mm Bushnell scope, Winchester Mod 70 right hand bolt with a left handed shooter. This is a guy that roamed the desert in 1991 and is one real bad @ss. The shot was on the move.
Some moron tried a long shot, hit the deer in the hind and my buddy finish it w/ a headshot while the deer was on the run at 300 yards. The @sshole that shot it was pissed that Anton ruined the mount. He showed up 20 minutes after he put it down. What are the odds that he would have ever found the buck. You are a moron. JP
I use a spotting scope for the far shots to find the ground hogs deer etc. I use a leupold 8.5-25x50mm and you'd be surprised once you've seen the deer how easy it is to spot it with my leupold. Plus as you prob know when a gun is sighted in it's not hard to hit a stationary target. Esp when you know exactly how many clicks to go up on your scope for every distance up to 1500 yards. With a little practice and the right gun it's truly amazing how easy it is to reach out and hit targets from extreme distances. As far as your friend goes he could prob do that from a much further distance. My 60 year old uncle hit a running deer in 22 acre field from his tree stand. He did that with his custom rifle built by the same man who built mine.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Tone it down.