Hunting Preferences - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Preferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Hank i hate to disagree, but yes some of the Marlins did have some fitment issues when Remington took over, but most of those problems have been resolved now. and it was mainly with the Marlin lever actions.

and unless my LGS is getting a great crop of Remingtons, so far i have not seen a great reduction in the quality of of the Remingtons like everyone is talking about.
I agree with you,but guns are like woman what drives me nuts does nothing for you,that's why we are gunman,and damn happy to talk with other gunman about our love,yes for guns,keep them in the X Ring that's all that really counts/talks!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
I agree with you,but guns are like woman what drives me nuts does nothing for you,that's why we are gunman,and damn happy to talk with other gunman about our love,yes for guns,keep them in the X Ring that's all that really counts/talks!
another point i will make is this. any item that's mass produced in large numbers, has the possibility that there will be some that fail or less that desired in quality. and it doesn't matter whether we are discussing guns, cars or toasters.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #13

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxclair
I am looking for a .308 rifle to add to my collection. I am going to use it for hunting primarily.
I think if I was looking for a new hunting rifle in .308, I would consider either the Savage 14 American Classic or the Winchester Model 70 Sporter.

I admit to a preference for real wood and blued metal, but if you prefer synthetic and stainless both companies make similar rifles in that configuration.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying these are the two best hunting rifles available, but they are two guns that appeal to me, from two companies that I trust to build reliable, accurate rifles.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
another point i will make is this. any item that's mass produced in large numbers, has the possibility that there will be some that fail or less that desired in quality. and it doesn't matter whether we are discussing guns, cars or toasters.
Yes vary true indeed and with many mass produced guns,many with defects never go back on line to be corrected,from that creep that lives in a trigger,canted screws,a dark walnut colored forearm with an almost blond butt stock,go on to be sold at cheaper big box stores,"note no name mentioned"but sold as discount prices.

When buying a new gun most guys just look at it and say,yes I want it!No give that gun the full nelson of examination,look for defects,cycle it "MANY"times,squeeze dry fire the trigger often looking for the creep,in other words do everything in the store except shoot it,LEOs don't appreciate that!Going home with a bum gun ain't no fun,the store wants no part of it,so we send it back to the manufacturer,twiddle our thumbs and wait!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #15

The Devil Made Me Do This But All Facts Non The Less!
http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%20FAQ.htm

Old 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxclair View Post
I am looking for a .308 rifle to add to my collection. I am going to use it for hunting primarily. I was wondering everyone's preference in .308 rifles.
Thanks!
A .308 is not necessary although it's an excellent cartridge.

What rifles do you have now and how do you hunt? What do you hunt and at what ranges.

Other cartridges will do what the 308 does.

Do you handload?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #17

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The only .308 I have is a Savage 99e, like the one pictured below. I am still kicking myself for passing up a beautiful vintage .308 Winchester Model 88 that had just come in to my local gun store about a year ago, but I was still recovering from a previous purchase a couple of weeks before. Now I wish I'd put it on layaway. I guess my point is that, when considering adding a rifle to the collection, don't forget some of the old-timers

Top pic: Savage 99e
Bottom Pic: Winchester 88

savage99.jpg   winchester-88.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #18

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I constantly hear about remington quality issues.. But the caveat is its always from "savage guys". I'm more than satisfied with the quality remington has sold to me and I doubt I'm just lucky.

That's no slight on the savage because for the price point they compete in its hard to argue against they're performance, unless you'd like to appreciate how your rifle looks as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
The only .308 I have is a Savage 99e, like the one pictured below. I am still kicking myself for passing up a beautiful vintage .308 Winchester Model 88 that had just come in to my local gun store about a year ago, but I was still recovering from a previous purchase a couple of weeks before. Now I wish I'd put it on layaway. I guess my point is that, when considering adding a rifle to the collection, don't forget some of the old-timers

Top pic: Savage 99e
Bottom Pic: Winchester 88
If I remember correctly the Winchester M-88 popularity didn't last vary long,thinking back I remember them being plagued with jamming issues,a hunting acquaintance I once hunted with owned an 88 and sold it,the Savage 98 and 99 with the rotating cylinder is /was pure perfection,I prefer the Savage 98 with the safety located by the trigger,rather then the 99s with the tang safety.

Would you be willing to sell your 99?

Last edited by HankStone; 06-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #20

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I never owned or shot the Winchester Model 88, and hadn't heard about any jamming problems with them, but, as stated, haven't shot one myself. I still would like to have one to mess around with.

Not planning on selling my Savage 99 right now -- I have two, that one and an older model in .300 Savage. I'd also like to have one in .243, but you don't see as many of those.