Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Hunting with a Mosin Nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hunting-mosin-nagant-70251/)

GetBulletsandBrass 08-13-2012 10:05 PM

Hunting with a Mosin Nagant

Since I hunt with my rifle (model 91/30) I figured I just throw the question out there.

Does anyone else hunt with their Mosin Nagant?

I currently hand load 168gr Barnes Triple Shock bullets for pigs, deer and bears.

marc29th 08-13-2012 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't hunted with mine yet, but I'm thinking of bringing it out this fall. I have some Brown Bear 203gr SP I'm going to use.

Attachment 54413

trip286 08-13-2012 10:20 PM

If you haven't used that brown bear yet...

It hits like the hammer of Thor, but it's even filthier than surplus ammo. At least it's not corrosive though...

marc29th 08-13-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
If you haven't used that brown bear yet...

It hits like the hammer of Thor, but it's even filthier than surplus ammo. At least it's not corrosive though...

I haven't tried these Brown Bear yet, I was thinking they might be handful being 203gr of copper and lead. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll make sure that rifle stock is well placed before I fire.

trip286 08-13-2012 10:30 PM

I didn't notice a felt difference in recoil, but instead of punching neat little holes in the tree stump my target was stapled to like the surplus ammo, it was blowing fist sized chunks out of it.

GetBulletsandBrass 08-13-2012 10:31 PM

I am unfortunately restricted to using lead free ammunition in the part of California where I live.

I have used the brown bear stuff before the lead free law took place and it does as my friend says "Kills em dead" when you hit game with it. The first time I used it for coyote at about 150 yards, it drilled him into the dirt.

The lead free stuff is pretty damn good (kinda stupid expensive too). Lead free rounds requires proper shot placement, so its on the shooter to ensure he/she is doing their part to get the shot into the vitals.

marc29th 08-13-2012 10:41 PM

I usually use a shotgun or my Marlin 336 for deer in New Hampshire as there are not many 100+ yard shots between the brush, trees and terrain here. But with my new Mosin-Nagant I thought I might change it up some.

What are the lead free bullets made of?

marc29th 08-13-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I didn't notice a felt difference in recoil, but instead of punching neat little holes in the tree stump my target was stapled to like the surplus ammo, it was blowing fist sized chunks out of it.

That's the difference from the fmj and sp, no wonder they don't let militaries use them.

GetBulletsandBrass 08-13-2012 10:45 PM

The lead free stuff is generally solid copper or brass. The copper being the most common. Hornady and a few other companies have alloys consisting of copper and tin.

marc29th 08-13-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetBulletsandBrass
The lead free stuff is generally solid copper or brass. The copper being the most common. Hornady and a few other companies have alloys consisting of copper and tin.

Ah ha bronze (copper+tin) I knew my collecting of ancient coins would come in handy someday :-)

Thanks for the info!