Hunting Calibers - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

As for the rifle, look into an AR-10. If you can use auto loaders to hunt in PA, its a .308 version of the AR 15. In other posts I bag on ARs but only in .223 Id rather have a Mini, but if you're going .308 AR10 is a great platform for hunting dinner or zombies.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #82

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator
Wrong, two of those defective Remingtons were 700s, one was a SPS and the other a CDL. My brother ignored my advise and bought an R1, first trip to the range he was calling me up asking me what was wrong with his gun it would not cycle anything, he traded it a few weeks later on a Sig 226.
I have since sworn off all Remingtons and have been thrilled with Savages, Winchester and my absolutely fantastic Tikka.
How reliable is the tikka. I've heard of savage and Winchester but never tikka. I'm just afraid of wasting my money on a peace of sh*t. I don't want to be wasteful, but at the same time I don't mind dropping a pretty penny on something that'll last. I'm big on quality. If you guys think a tikka or savage would suit me better than a Remington I'm going to take that into consideration. While I have a mind of my own, I do know its wiser to listen to those who have more experience. I want a rifle that I can hand down to my grandson.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
As for the rifle, look into an AR-10. If you can use auto loaders to hunt in PA, its a .308 version of the AR 15. In other posts I bag on ARs but only in .223 Id rather have a Mini, but if you're going .308 AR10 is a great platform for hunting dinner or zombies.
As wonderful as that sounds, unfortunately it's illegal to hunt with a semi-auto in PA if it were legal I would've jumped on the opportunity.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
I would have recomended a remington 1100, with interchangable barrels. The 1100 design is the strongest auto shotgun made. But I see the other posters call Remington crap now, lol. Mossberg used to sell a kit that had both a interchngeble choke smoothbore and a rifled slug barrel. They are pretty resonable. I personaly own a Browning B-80, but if I had to do it over again I'd get a remington 1100, because the action is so much more robust.

I'm disheartened to hear Remingtons have pitched their quality. Maybe one of the other posters knows a company that makes a Remington 1100 clone. That design though is really tough. LOL I sound like a remington salesman.
Being you have a lot of experience with shotguns, which would you recommend That's similar to the 1100.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #85

Liked 192 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
How reliable is the tikka. I've heard of savage and Winchester but never tikka. I'm just afraid of wasting my money on a peace of sh*t. I don't want to be wasteful, but at the same time I don't mind dropping a pretty penny on something that'll last. I'm big on quality. If you guys think a tikka or savage would suit me better than a Remington I'm going to take that into consideration. While I have a mind of my own, I do know its wiser to listen to those who have more experience. I want a rifle that I can hand down to my grandson.
The Tikka is a remarkably reliable rifle, I have hunted with mine for years without a glitch, but it you are looking for something with classic appeal the Tikka is probably not for you, they are mostly synthetic stock and their wood stocks look cheap, if you want classic appeal for a hand me down hunting rifle the Model 70 Featherweight is your rifle, superb wood work, M98 Mauser style action, wonderful declarative (and functional) checkering, looks like a million bucks and shoots almost as good. That is my second favorite rifle.
The Tikka is less classic and more advanced ultra modern design, the Winchester tries to pack that ultra modern performance into a classic style rifle.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #86

Quote:

The Tikka is a remarkably reliable rifle, I have hunted with mine for years without a glitch, but it you are looking for something with classic appeal the Tikka is probably not for you, they are mostly synthetic stock and their wood stocks look cheap, if you want classic appeal for a hand me down hunting rifle the Model 70 Featherweight is your rifle, superb wood work, M98 Mauser style action, wonderful declarative (and functional) checkering, looks like a million bucks and shoots almost as good. That is my second favorite rifle.
The Tikka is less classic and more advanced ultra modern design, the Winchester tries to pack that ultra modern performance into a classic style rifle.
I don't care how it looks at all. As long as its reliable and it'll last a long time I'm down to get it. If the Winchester mod 70 can give me that long term reliable a little more than the tikka then ill jump on it. However, if the tikka can give me that in w/e stock you deem appropriate, ill also take that into account.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #87

Both have been perfectly reliable for me as have my Savages, I think any one of those will be a good long term investment for you. Lets break it down like this.
Performance: Tikka wins, scary freakish accuracy for a 6lbs rifle.
Style/Appearance: Winchester for the win, best looking and feeling rifle I have ever owned.
Value: Savage by a mile, hella fine rifle for the $300-$400 price tag, and I have found them for less on occasion.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #88

Quote:
Both have been perfectly reliable for me as have my Savages, I think any one of those will be a good long term investment for you. Lets break it down like this.
Performance: Tikka wins, scary freakish accuracy for a 6lbs rifle.
Style/Appearance: Winchester for the win, best looking and feeling rifle I have ever owned.
Value: Savage by a mile, hella fine rifle for the $300-$400 price tag, and I have found them for less on occasion.
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #89

Anytime. Glad to be of help.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #90

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Honestly, for a field grade gun in an auto loader you really can't beat the remington 1100 or 11-87. I think the quality issues have to do with fit and finnish anyway and in a field gun who cares.

The 11-87 has an upgraded gas system which makes it more forgiving on guys who won't read the instructions basically an 870 pump with a gas system on it.

I believe Benneli makes an 1100 clone, but I'm not sure the model.

If you want an auto loader I bet you'd be thrilled with an 1100 or 11-87. The new ones just may not be as pretty as the old ones, but so what.

If you go with a pump, you can't beat mossberg on price, unless you buy a chinese POS.

Last edited by triggerjob; 03-31-2013 at 04:36 AM.