Hunting Calibers - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Rem 700 30.06 or .308 and a shotgun it is. Now the question is which shotgun? Again, mostly turkey will be taken with it along with w/e else I can take down. Any suggestions?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #72

Or a .270. Well see what happens. Anything on the shotgun will be great.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #73

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Word to the wise from someone who had to learn the hard way, AVOID all new Remington firearms. I was a Remington fan since childhood but they have gone downhill hard, I was so stubborn that I had to buy three defective firearms in a row before I would give up on them. Savage, Tikka, Winchester all make vastly superior rifles for less money. And while I have never owned a CZ, Weatherby, or Ruger I would try one of them before I ever thought about buying anything else from the big green, they sold their soul to the devil (CCM) in 2007 and have not been the same since.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #74

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

One thing to consider is buying a 06 or .308 and for small game at medium range just shoot "accelerator" bullets if you want. Also you can kill coyotes just as easy with a .308 as you can with something smaller. It comes down to bullet choice. Smaller game use a lighter bullet, heavy game use a heavier bullet. If money is a factor, the shotgun is the best all around gun to own. Its perfect for home defense if you load it with BB shot. Put a riffled slug barrel on it and it is good at close range on big game. Light birdshot is good for light birds, squirells even rabbits.

When I worked in a gun shop I always tried to steer people into a shotgun if they wanted an "all around weapon". If you're recoil sensitive get a 20 guage, and it will serve you well in most instances. Untill you get into longer range shooting, then I would get a .308 or 06.

One other thing, hunting is mostly about "shot placement", anything on the planet with drop dead on any calibur if you put the bullet in the right place. I met an eskimo once who killed grizzlys with a berry branch and a .22 pistol.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator
Word to the wise from someone who had to learn the hard way, AVOID all new Remington firearms. I was a Remington fan since childhood but they have gone downhill hard, I was so stubborn that I had to buy three defective firearms in a row before I would give up on them. Savage, Tikka, Winchester all make vastly superior rifles for less money. And while I have never owned a CZ, Weatherby, or Ruger I would try one of them before I ever thought about buying anything else from the big green, they sold their soul to the devil (CCM) in 2007 and have not been the same since.
I heard that applied to all except the 700. Did I hear wrong?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
One thing to consider is buying a 06 or .308 and for small game at medium range just shoot "accelerator" bullets if you want. Also you can kill coyotes just as easy with a .308 as you can with something smaller. It comes down to bullet choice. Smaller game use a lighter bullet, heavy game use a heavier bullet. If money is a factor, the shotgun is the best all around gun to own. Its perfect for home defense if you load it with BB shot. Put a riffled slug barrel on it and it is good at close range on big game. Light birdshot is good for light birds, squirells even rabbits.

When I worked in a gun shop I always tried to steer people into a shotgun if they wanted an "all around weapon". If you're recoil sensitive get a 20 guage, and it will serve you well in most instances. Untill you get into longer range shooting, then I would get a .308 or 06.

One other thing, hunting is mostly about "shot placement", anything on the planet with drop dead on any calibur if you put the bullet in the right place. I met an eskimo once who killed grizzlys with a berry branch and a .22 pistol.
Great advice man. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm gonna get a shotgun along with a .308 or 30.06 rifle. What shotgun would you recommend for what you just pitched?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #77

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Wrong, two of those defective Remingtons were 700s, one was a SPS and the other a CDL. My brother ignored my advise and bought an R1, first trip to the range he was calling me up asking me what was wrong with his gun it would not cycle anything, he traded it a few weeks later on a Sig 226.
I have since sworn off all Remingtons and have been thrilled with Savages, Winchester and my absolutely fantastic Tikka.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #78

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Mossberg 835 and the mossberg 500s are great but there no way you can beat a AMERICAN CLASSIC like the good ol 870 remington if you treat it right and take care of it you won't have a problem.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #79

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I would have recomended a remington 1100, with interchangable barrels. The 1100 design is the strongest auto shotgun made. But I see the other posters call Remington crap now, lol. Mossberg used to sell a kit that had both a interchngeble choke smoothbore and a rifled slug barrel. They are pretty resonable. I personaly own a Browning B-80, but if I had to do it over again I'd get a remington 1100, because the action is so much more robust.

I'm disheartened to hear Remingtons have pitched their quality. Maybe one of the other posters knows a company that makes a Remington 1100 clone. That design though is really tough. LOL I sound like a remington salesman.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #80

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Mossberg makes the combo still. $350.00 is the norm for a combo slug barrel and field barrel. If an auto loader is a thought, I have an Charles Daly that is Turkish made. Before everyone jumps on Turkish shotguns, they have been making them for hundreds of years and are great mid price range shotguns. It has been flawless. It has very mild recoil for a 12ga even w/ 3" magnums. For years my 500 was my go to for waterfowl, but I've grown fond of this inexpensive auto. It is lighter then my 500 and cycles very fast. It has not failed yet in the worst of conditions. It has yet to be dumped in the drink though.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.