Hunting Calibers - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
I don't quite understand what any of you mean by barrel life. Can anyone explain?
As simple as I can make it, any given gun barrel only has a finite amount of shots in it before the throat and rifling wear out and it becomes too inaccurate or unpredictable to use anymore. This is not normally an issue with hunting rifles since with reasonable use the life of a barrel is measured in thousands of shots. BUT like anything else there are factors that make things worse. As a general rule smaller diameter bores in higher intensity chamberings like magnums tend to wear out barrels faster. So a 7mm MAG will tend to wear out a barrel faster than say a .308 all other things being the same. In my mind it's not a big issue since hunting barrels are replaceable at a reasonable cost but to competitive shooters it's a factor since match barrels are VERY expensive and you need good gunsmiths with proper euipment to do the precission jobs.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3180 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

Plenty of great choices already listed. Here's another poss. for turkey/predator hunting!

I own two; one in .22wmr/20 ga. - great for small game., and second in .223/12 ga. - awesome turkey (Fall only in PA) and predator gun. The smaller gun is as light as most 20 ga. pumps and the larger one weighs a ton. I love 'em both!

These were produced by Stevens, the Savage/Stevens, then finally Savage.:

m24-223-over-20.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #53

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

As simple as I can make it, any given gun barrel only has a finite amount of shots in it before the throat and rifling wear out and it becomes too inaccurate or unpredictable to use anymore. This is not normally an issue with hunting rifles since with reasonable use the life of a barrel is measured in thousands of shots. BUT like anything else there are factors that make things worse. As a general rule smaller diameter bores in higher intensity chamberings like magnums tend to wear out barrels faster. So a 7mm MAG will tend to wear out a barrel faster than say a .308 all other things being the same. In my mind it's not a big issue since hunting barrels are replaceable at a reasonable cost but to competitive shooters it's a factor since match barrels are VERY expensive and you need good gunsmiths with proper euipment to do the precission jobs.
O0o I see! That sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #54

Quote:

Can home maintenance prevent that?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #55

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_h85

Yeah but you'll have half the barrel life doing that. I love the idea pushing those high BC 140 as fast as possible but there really no reason... speed is awesome inside 300 as you don't have to account for drop much at all. But really if your shooting past that you should have the optics to do so. Meaning at the very least a BDC reticle. The best method is turrets that are absolutely repeatable and its nice to have a moa or BDC reticle for those rushed shots! BDC reticle alone can be very effective with practice, but you cant argue that dialing in your turrets is the most accurate way to make a shot.... that being said if you're going to take the time to adjust your turn for a shot then there really is no difference between doing 6 clicks and 8 clicks.... that being said 200fps is mostly trivial when shooting extreme distances... So in the end I will take the 6.5 X 284 over the 264 Win Mag any day because I get rid of the belt it is inherently way more accurate and my barrel will last a lot longer. My first 6.5 millimeter was a 6.5 x 270wsm (3250fps on a 140VLD not even maxed out!). When I fried that Barrel in very few rounds I decided to go with a 6.5 X 284. To be honest I have not seen enough difference in terminal performance on big game to warrant the 1000 less rounds. They are all still folding in their tracks!
My purpose was not to suggest that any one cartridge is better than another. I was simply answering the posted question of the feasibility of pushing a "hunting weight" 6.5 past 2900 fps.

As to barrel life - I don't see it as a huge problem and certainly the .264WM has an undeserved (in my experience) reputation as a barrel burner. My personal rifle, a Win m70 originally purchased by my grandfather in the late 1960s still wears its factory original 24" barrel and consistently shoots 1/2 MOA 3-shot groups to past 300 yds (which is the limit of my local range). I don't see how I could ask for anything more and the belt also does not seem to be any sort of accuracy handicap.

I would imagine a direct comparison of performance differences between my .264WM and your 6.5x284 would prove purely academic at best.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #56

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
Can home maintenance prevent that?
On standard hunting rig as long as you don't shoot the barrel extensively while hot all the time (accelerates wear) and clean the bore correctly as needed (as in do NOT overdo it, do not clean from the muzzle, use solid rods and good quality tips etc. as opposed to cheap kits) your barrel will be good enough for your grandkids to still be hunting with it 100 years down the road.

I have a hunting rifles form the early 1900's that still have good bores on them so do not loose any sleep about it. PLEASE make sure someone shows you how to clean the gun(s) properly though. It is essential to good barrel life and peak performance.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #57

Quote:

On standard hunting rig as long as you don't shoot the barrel extensively while hot all the time (accelerates wear) and clean the bore correctly as needed (as in do NOT overdo it, do not clean from the muzzle, use solid rods and good quality tips etc. as opposed to cheap kits) your barrel will be good enough for your grandkids to still be hunting with it 100 years down the road.

I have a hunting rifles form the early 1900's that still have good bores on them so do not loose any sleep about it. PLEASE make sure someone shows you how to clean the gun(s) properly though. It is essential to good barrel life and peak performance.
Thanks man. Great advice!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Hey Vaz,

Do you have a 22lr rifle? If not than your missing out on a whole lotta fun shooting and marksmenship fine tuning.Small game are easily taken with the caliber. Plus the caliber is the best AFAIC to introduce a first time shooter, such as a girlfriend etc.

Something to think about...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #59

Yea i guess my response for a 7mm mag was more what would work as an all rounder. Able to drop the largest deer up close to waaaay out there. Im from new zealand and hunting here can vary from tight bush to open tops in less than a couple hours so versatility is big for me. I wasnt detracting from the abillity of the 30cals to drop game just that the 7mm can do it all aswell as have better long range performance. I myself have used 308s and 3006s and both are emphatic killers . As for recoil id say the 06 has a little more than the rem mag or at least is more of a kick over the push of the 7mm

Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Hey Vaz,

Do you have a 22lr rifle? If not than your missing out on a whole lotta fun shooting and marksmenship fine tuning.Small game are easily taken with the caliber. Plus the caliber is the best AFAIC to introduce a first time shooter, such as a girlfriend etc.

Something to think about...
I was initially thinking about getting the .308 or 30.06 for big game and a .22lr rifle for smaller game such as turkey and smaller varmints. Would that be possible? Because if so, ill get the .22lr instead of the shotgun.