Hunting Calibers - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunting Calibers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
n_h85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
So I'm new to hunting and I have a very important question. I plan on buying two rifles, one for big game and one for small game. My question is what calibers would be suitable for both rifles. I'm leaning toward a .308 or 30.06 for big game like deer and elk but I'm not sure what caliber rifle I should use for turkey, coyotes, boars, etc... I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Any 6.5mm! Here are 3 of my favorites: 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 X 284 Norma! I've seen elk killed at 1000 yards with the Norma and every single 1 of those Caliber's kick less than a 308 and will completely out perform both the 308 and 30-06! The 65 Creedmoor and the 260 Remington are pretty much exactly the same performance but the 6.5 X 284 Norma will beat them by a couple hundred feet per second. In my opinion the optimum trajectory is a bullet that has a ballistic coefficient of around .6 and can go at least 2900 feet per second. This gives you great performance without being too much of a barrel burner... unfortunately a 30 cal isn't capable of pushing a high ballistic coefficient like that until you burn 70 + grains of powder and the smallest thing that does that is a 300 Win Mag which is definitely overkill for even pronghorn let alone a turkey or other small game! With a 6.5mm/264 caliber You would be able to shoot bullets as heavy as 160 grains and as light as 85 gr!
__________________
n_h85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Reality is that there is not a heck of a lot of difference in anything in the .260, 7mm-08, .270, .280 .308, 30-06 class that would make you pick one over the other except personal preferences mostly about the firearm chambered for it. They all work as advertised in anything from goats to elk (as long as you understand their limitations) and generalities like, this one is more accurate than that one, are absolute fantasy and have to do with the rifle and shooter more than the chambering/caliber. As far as velocity, drop etc I'd love to know how many folks actually take hunting shots at ranges where that would matter much, so it's all theory. Within 400 yards they are all as capable as need be and few folks have any business shooting anywhere near that far as it is. As a matter of fact I'm pretty convinced that very few people that tell you about drops at 600 yards have ever sent a bullet down that far at a game animal.

ANY multi-purpose rifle is going to be a compromise so figure out the MAIN use for the gun and compromise on the other uses. Be realistic about the ranges you'll be shooting at and terrain you hunt in, because a long range heavy barreled gun is a stupid thing to carry up a mountain after elk. If unsure you can't go wrong with a nice sporter in either 308 or 30-06 (A Remington 700 is a great example). It is about as multi-purpose and fool proof as it gets. Feed it Remington 150 gr. Core Loct ammo and now you can shoot dead anything that walks in the continental USA.

BUT don't be surprised that as your experience grows and you tackle different game you'll ened up buying more narrow purpose rifles. For a 2 gun battery I would make it a .22 lr for really small game like squirrel and such and a 30-06 for every thing else. Of course I couldn't live with only two rifles if you paid me cash. There are too many pretty guns out there that need a home.

__________________
Wambli is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
How far can I shoot a bow?
A modern high quality bow will let you shoot out to 40-50 yards effectively as long as you practice and become proficient with it.
__________________
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rockratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,791
Liked 1685 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Default

I'll throw in another vote for the 243. 7mm-08 is a great round as well and you can never go wrong with the 308. As for the second gun I would move past the 06(nothing against the 06 it is a very good and capable round) and go to one of the 300 magnums. Lot of good choices in that group depending on the price you are willing to pay. Turkeys here have to be taken with a shotgun.

__________________
rockratt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,968
Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
I'm sayin there's a large variety fit for anyone's needs. Me I stick to 130gr traveling at 3200 fps that will take down any North American animal at ease. I don't see any point of exceeding 150gr. 270 ballistics outbeat 06 and 308. I have owned an 06 in the past. Not as accurate down range as the 270. Travels slower. Hits hard though
Why are you stuck on velosity?? Most hunting is done under 100 yards, that is a fact. 300 yards is a long shot, that is also fact. The .270 is not a 400-500 yard rifle on large game such as elk, is just does not have enough velosity or energy to anchor your quarry. The .308 is a 300 yard elk rifle, the .30-06 can be close to a 400 yard Elk rifle w/ the correct bullet and load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Vaz,

Your focus on the 30-06 for all around rifle is a great choice! You can shoot for example 110 gr bullets for varmints and jump up to the 220+ grain normal as well as speciaty bullets for big game. If you are looking at one rifle to do most everything it is the one all around caliber.
Also the 30-06 is easy to load for and components can be found.
For Turkeys the guys are correct! 12 Ga. Shotgun is the ticket! It is also a good gun for coyotes in timber or heavy cover with #4 Buck, BB or #2 Shot. Home defense with the correct shot shells in it. Example #2s #4s and BB.
You never need to apologize here on the FTF for wanting to learn! That is what most of us hang around here for. To learn new things ourselves as we do! And also to help others who have questions or want advise.
In addition I would recomend that 700 you mentioned!
03
Excellent well thought out!! +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
243 is an excellent round also! Veryy fast bullet, low noise and recoil, and flat trajectory. If you know what your doin, you could survive with this gun alone.
Rifle wise, best bang for your buck is hands down the tikka t3 lite.
Why speed?? Why smaller, faster? This guy is starting out. Why not something practical??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Re .243 .300 Win Mag.

JP, As for those additional choices I'm really not to picky. My response was for just 2 Calibers I'd be limited too.

If you look into my safe for hunting rifles you will see Ruger #1's, Winchester 70's, Remington 700 /788 and Savage 110 /112, Plus a few others.

So if today I was to outfit my 2 caliber choices it would be with Savage model 112 with accu-trigger non detachable box fed. I would re-stock with the Duramaxx synthetic stock, Mueller Optics, Harris swivel bi-pod, and a Karsten adjustable check rest.

This configuration would ballpark me into $800.00

The .243 would allow me to hunt from varmints up to bean field White-tails or our big Mulies.

The .300 mag would allow me to hunt Antelope up to big Browns

Handloading these two also allow me to control power and bullet application.
The voice of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
So to be clear. .270 is a bit more accurate than .06 or .08 only when under 150 grain? However, there's no need to go over 150 for big game?
No it is not more accurate, but the ballistics of the round make it so it can be. The shooter is 90% of the eqaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
It depends on where you hunt. In the Rocky Mtns. and Alaska you may want a larger bullet with more energy. Shooting over snow fields at high altitudes in heavy cross winds can be a challenge.
So what would you recomend for a new shooter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_h85 View Post
Any 6.5mm! Here are 3 of my favorites: 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 X 284 Norma! I've seen elk killed at 1000 yards with the Norma and every single 1 of those Caliber's kick less than a 308 and will completely out perform both the 308 and 30-06! The 65 Creedmoor and the 260 Remington are pretty much exactly the same performance but the 6.5 X 284 Norma will beat them by a couple hundred feet per second. In my opinion the optimum trajectory is a bullet that has a ballistic coefficient of around .6 and can go at least 2900 feet per second. This gives you great performance without being too much of a barrel burner... unfortunately a 30 cal isn't capable of pushing a high ballistic coefficient like that until you burn 70 + grains of powder and the smallest thing that does that is a 300 Win Mag which is definitely overkill for even pronghorn let alone a turkey or other small game! With a 6.5mm/264 caliber You would be able to shoot bullets as heavy as 160 grains and as light as 85 gr!
I like 6.5's, but w/ what bullet are you hitting 2900fps? I can load 100gr in a 6.5x55 and achieve that, but it is not a big game load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Reality is that there is not a heck of a lot of difference in anything in the .260, 7mm-08, .270, .280 .308, 30-06 class that would make you pick one over the other except personal preferences mostly about the firearm chambered for it. They all work as advertised in anything from goats to elk (as long as you understand their limitations) and generalities like, this one is more accurate than that one, are absolute fantasy and have to do with the rifle and shooter more than the chambering/caliber. As far as velocity, drop etc I'd love to know how many folks actually take hunting shots at ranges where that would matter much, so it's all theory. Within 400 yards they are all as capable as need be and few folks have any business shooting anywhere near that far as it is. As a matter of fact I'm pretty convinced that very few people that tell you about drops at 600 yards have ever sent a bullet down that far at a game animal.

ANY multi-purpose rifle is going to be a compromise so figure out the MAIN use for the gun and compromise on the other uses. Be realistic about the ranges you'll be shooting at and terrain you hunt in, because a long range heavy barreled gun is a stupid thing to carry up a mountain after elk. If unsure you can't go wrong with a nice sporter in either 308 or 30-06 (A Remington 700 is a great example). It is about as multi-purpose and fool proof as it gets. Feed it Remington 150 gr. Core Loct ammo and now you can shoot dead anything that walks in the continental USA.

BUT don't be surprised that as your experience grows and you tackle different game you'll ened up buying more narrow purpose rifles. For a 2 gun battery I would make it a .22 lr for really small game like squirrel and such and a 30-06 for every thing else. Of course I couldn't live with only two rifles if you paid me cash. There are too many pretty guns out there that need a home.
Read this again!!!
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli
Reality is that there is not a heck of a lot of difference in anything in the .260, 7mm-08, .270, .280 .308, 30-06 class that would make you pick one over the other except personal preferences mostly about the firearm chambered for it. They all work as advertised in anything from goats to elk (as long as you understand their limitations) and generalities like, this one is more accurate than that one, are absolute fantasy and have to do with the rifle and shooter more than the chambering/caliber. As far as velocity, drop etc I'd love to know how many folks actually take hunting shots at ranges where that would matter much, so it's all theory. Within 400 yards they are all as capable as need be and few folks have any business shooting anywhere near that far as it is. As a matter of fact I'm pretty convinced that very few people that tell you about drops at 600 yards have ever sent a bullet down that far at a game animal.

ANY multi-purpose rifle is going to be a compromise so figure out the MAIN use for the gun and compromise on the other uses. Be realistic about the ranges you'll be shooting at and terrain you hunt in, because a long range heavy barreled gun is a stupid thing to carry up a mountain after elk. If unsure you can't go wrong with a nice sporter in either 308 or 30-06 (A Remington 700 is a great example). It is about as multi-purpose and fool proof as it gets. Feed it Remington 150 gr. Core Loct ammo and now you can shoot dead anything that walks in the continental USA.

BUT don't be surprised that as your experience grows and you tackle different game you'll ened up buying more narrow purpose rifles. For a 2 gun battery I would make it a .22 lr for really small game like squirrel and such and a 30-06 for every thing else. Of course I couldn't live with only two rifles if you paid me cash. There are too many pretty guns out there that need a home.
This was great advise. Thanks
__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

So given all the information all you great people have given me, I'm leaning towards the Remington 700 30.06 for an all around rifle (ammo is easy to find, etc) and either a .22 rifle for small game, or a shotgun. Btw i live in PA so I'm pretty sure it's ok to hunt turkey with a rifle. In addition, I should mention my intensions. I want to hunt turkey with the smaller caliber; but I'd like the option to hunt squirrels and rabbits with it also. Also, I want to hunt deer and elk with the Remington 700 30.06; with having the option to take something as big as a bear down (probably never going to happen, but I'd still like to have the option). I'm not really big on 1000 yard shooting. 400 yards sounds like something I can work with. Am I in the right ball field guys, or should I quit now and pick up knitting. Lol

__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,968
Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
So given all the information all you great people have given me, I'm leaning towards the Remington 700 30.06 for an all around rifle (ammo is easy to find, etc) and either a .22 rifle for small game, or a shotgun. Btw i live in PA so I'm pretty sure it's ok to hunt turkey with a rifle. In addition, I should mention my intensions. I want to hunt turkey with the smaller caliber; but I'd like the option to hunt squirrels and rabbits with it also. Also, I want to hunt deer and elk with the Remington 700 30.06; with having the option to take something as big as a bear down (probably never going to happen, but I'd still like to have the option). I'm not really big on 1000 yard shooting. 400 yards sounds like something I can work with. Am I in the right ball field guys, or should I quit now and pick up knitting. Lol
You still have a ways to go. The .22 is a great rifle for trigger time and small game. A shotgun is better for Turkey and waterfowl(if it fly's, shotgun). .30-06 is a VG all around Cartridge. When you start shooting it and try and hit a 9" paper plate at 400 yards, you'll see it is not so easy. Stay away from cheap big bell high mag scopes. Hunting the woods of Pa a good 3-9x32 or 40mm scope will do very well. Get quality, don't cheap out. There are some VG mid-range priced scopes that will fit the bill. I still think a .308 would be a better 1st rifle option. But hey, you've made huge strides. Best of luck, JP
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: tokoroa,Waikato
Posts: 14
Default

No 7mm Rem mag? One of the most versatile loadings out there. Can do everything the 30/06 can but faster and better ballistics. The only thing the 06 has in the 7mm mag is barrel life.

__________________
CreepingDeath is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath
No 7mm Rem mag? One of the most versatile loadings out there. Can do everything the 30/06 can but faster and better ballistics. The only thing the 06 has in the 7mm mag is barrel life.
That's it. I'm googling knitting kit prices. Lol I clearly need to do more research.
__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
CQC calibers GrtWhytHype AR-15 Discussion 18 12-12-2012 05:18 PM
How many calibers do you own? Dearhunter The Club House 19 05-16-2012 03:46 AM
How many calibers do you own? Yunus General Handgun Discussion 145 05-13-2012 01:23 PM
5 calibers for life sweeper22 General Handgun Discussion 69 10-29-2011 10:13 AM
Just 3 calibers audrey_z General Rifle Discussion 9 05-29-2007 08:37 PM