Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Hunting with the 223.....Bolt action or AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hunting-223-bolt-action-ar-10368/)

Luminescence 01-28-2009 06:26 AM

Hunting with the 223.....Bolt action or AR?

Hey I was just wondering what sort of differences there might be in power, lethality and accuracy, using the 223 in either the semi auto AR or bolt action rifle?

SlamFire 01-28-2009 07:40 AM

Same, same. I could never warm up to .223 Rem.

cpttango30 01-28-2009 12:22 PM

The only difference between say a Remington 700 and an AR-15 is barrel length and twist. My remington run a 1:12" twist for bullets up to 62gr. Mine prefers Hornady 50 gr V-max. AR-15 or an SUR as I like to call them will have a 1:9" twist allowing you to shoot bullets up to 70gr. For bullets in the 70 to 75gr weight class a 1:8" twist. and a 1:7" twitst for anything over 75gr.

So other that twist nothing really your velocity may be a little lower with an ar because it is gas powered.

Lizzard 02-01-2009 09:53 PM

The Savage Predator in 223 is so damn accurate that head shots on pigs, deer etc are lethal every time. I guess you can shoot em in the shoulder with a larger cal but why ruin the meat?

canebrake 02-01-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminescence (Post 66105)
Hey I was just wondering what sort of differences there might be in power, lethality and accuracy, using the 223 in either the semi auto AR or bolt action rifle?

Depends on how many legs the 'game' has. :cool:

big shrek 02-02-2009 09:26 AM

Depends on what you are hunting, and what is hunting what YOU are hunting.

Man who hunt coyote finds that .223 is wonderful.

Man who hunt deer & finds bear not so happy with .223 :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the semi-auto .223 is usually gas-operated delayed blowback, it makes no difference to either rifle on a pure Ballistics level...

BUT, most people go through a Mental Process when using a Bolt-Action because they know the First shot darn well better be on target...because of the time it takes to load a second round & get target re-acquisition.

On the other hand, those who were initially trained on Bolt-actions tend to keep that same habit when using a semi-auto and tend to shoot MUCH more accurately than people who have never spent serious time with a bolt-action rifle.

So, really, it's a choice that can only be based on what you personally prefer to do.

Txhillbilly 02-02-2009 06:58 PM

+1 on what B.Shrek said. Any differences in ballistics & accuracy would be so small you wouldn't notice,just make sure you can get the correct twist rate in a bolt action. Alot of mfg's put a 1-10/1-12 twist in bolt action barrels and that will really limit your ammo choices. I prefer a 1-8 twist in 223 cal,that way I can shoot anything up to 77gr and not have accuracy problems with tumbling. I usually shoot 55,62,68,and 75 gr bullets and I handload my ammo.