Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
This just screams "don't buy a 6mm" to me. You don't need a boutique chambered gun when you have only three. Keep the .270. Buy a Savings Bond. School books. Take someone out on a date...

Born To Hunt, you need to get a little more experience. Stop arguing and just pay attention. I love the .243. You don't need one.
A little more experience with what????
why are you telling me i dont need it?
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Last edited by BornToHunt; 04-06-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1494 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3232

Have you considered a 7mm-08?

I personally love a .243 but the 7mm-08 will be a more versatile caliber. Recoil isn't much more than a .243 and it will let you shoot heavier bullets that will have more down range energy.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #83

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Have you considered a 7mm-08?

I personally love a .243 but the 7mm-08 will be a more versatile caliber. Recoil isn't much more than a .243 and it will let you shoot heavier bullets that will have more down range energy.
I have. Just no on hand experience.
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #84

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
I'm stuck in a decision and can't make up my mind. Right now I have a tikka t3 270 and am really wanting a 243 again. I have a 22 mag and 270 and 30-30 for hunting but have no in between. I really want another 243 in tikka but I don't have a lot of money. I only have like 600$ to work with. I am thinking about selling my 270 and buying a tikka 243 and putting my money towards upgrading that to a mean killin machine(even though is comes stock like that) if I was to keep the 270 then I would have to buy the 243-$570 and them topp it off with a scope another 300$ and bullets then if I decided to customize them, that's twice the money I'd have to spend. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would sure help???
The reason you don't like that 270 is the sound and the recoil. I had a 270 and it would crack and jump straight up because it was so light. I didn't like it. It didn't kick my shoulder it would bump my cheek on the rise, it was just too light. I traded it- just move on.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #85
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Trust me, I have done more research on firearms than schoolwork. Where I hunt, the animals come onto the property from surrounding woods. If I shoot a deer, I will have to wait a few days to even see another one. I love the 270 but I do not NEED it. I can kill any animal in the union with a 243. I can shoot very well and my hunting strategy differs from most people's. I don't use blinds or scent deterrents or feeders. I hunt 100% raw and don't like making the challenge easier by hunting with a 30-06 or 300 or even 338. I have the ability to put the bullet exactly where I want it up to 400 yards but usually never go to that distance because of my hunting technique. I get as close as 12 yards to turkey just laying in some grass or behnd a tree. My 30-30 is my go-to when deer hunting in Oklahoma in the thck brush. My 22 mag is for my varmints. And I want to own another 243 or close caliber for everything else. I've done research on many varmint calibers and small deer rounds, but don't have the on-hand experience that I want
Quote:
I have. Just no on hand experience.
you have done more research on this subject than you do on schoolwork. hmmmm......

don't like to make the challenge easier by using a 30-06? hmmm.... an ethical and responsible hunter uses the tool needed to do the job that needs to done. a lot of poachers use 22 rimfires to kill deer with. that in no way is legal, ethical or responsible.

just curious as to really how much research you have done on this subject. you have the availability of the internet which when i was your age we didn't. we had to read books. talk to older hunters and follow along and learn from example.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #86

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you have done more research on this subject than you do on schoolwork. hmmmm......

don't like to make the challenge easier by using a 30-06? hmmm.... an ethical and responsible hunter uses the tool needed to do the job that needs to done. a lot of poachers use 22 rimfires to kill deer with. that in no way is legal, ethical or responsible.

just curious as to really how much research you have done on this subject. you have the availability of the internet which when i was your age we didn't. we had to read books. talk to older hunters and follow along and learn from example.
Ahh, the good 'ole days. I remember working an intire summer cutting firewood, haying feilds to save enough for my 1st rifle. Use to sell 4ft length standing deadwood that was all cut w/ a bow saw for $14.00 per cord. The tractor I used to haul it with was a pull start Shaw Du All 1940's vintage.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Ahh, the good 'ole days. I remember working an intire summer cutting firewood, haying feilds to save enough for my 1st rifle. Use to sell 4ft length standing deadwood that was all cut w/ a bow saw for $14.00 per cord. The tractor I used to haul it with was a pull start Shaw Du All 1940's vintage.
i remember those days! my father would lay the trees down with the chainsaw and my brother and i would cut them to length with a bow saw! builds character and muscle! dad had a fairly new John Deere at that time, but he let us use our grandfathers old Farmall tractor to haul the wood out with. i sure thought those kids with a paper route had an easy job, but i made much more money than they did.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #88

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The reason you don't like that 270 is the sound and the recoil. I had a 270 and it would crack and jump straight up because it was so light. I didn't like it. It didn't kick my shoulder it would bump my cheek on the rise, it was just too light. I traded it- just move on.
Exactly haha

Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #89

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

I don't hunt deer with a 22 jack wagon

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #90

Quote:
I don't hunt deer with a 22 jack wagon
i didn't say you did! i using that to make a point which seems to have gone right over your head. and your name calling isn't acceptable here at all.

first of all i'm not a jack wagon or a dude. seems readily apparent you really have no desire to learn, but want to tell us how good a shot you are and when we try and give you advice or question you, you resort to name calling.

you have a lot to learn, and not just about hunting. you come on here as new member and you're 17 years old going on 18, and you want grown men who have been at this many times longer than you have been alive, to accept you as an equal? not hardly. you seriously might want to re-evaluate your attitude.