Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt
If you break it's spine killing them instantly, how could you get any more humane than that???
Yes, but under realistic hunting conditions can you put your shots with a .243 into a 1 inch circle at say 200-300 yards?

Now, I'm not saying a .243 isn't a fine deer round cause it is. It's got more than enough power out past 300 yard to humanely harvest most deer.

I know a lot of people would disagree but I actually think that the .30-06 is actually a bit... overkill for most deer at normal hunting ranges. (Not saying it won't do a fine job, just that you can do just as good with less). My personal favorite for deer size game is actually the .25-06. Less recoil than a 30-06, flatter shooting and plenty of power out to 400 yard (which is further than I would take a shot in the field). I just like the sub-.30 cals (.257 Roberts through 7mm-08 ) for deer size game.

I'm don't claim to be any sort of expert, I'm sure there are people around the forum who've taken many more deer than I ever have. Still, I've did lots of research, shot some guns, and talked to other hunters, before I came to these decisions.

And, as always, YMMV.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #72

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
BTH...

When I was actively hunting before my body grew old LOL Tracking, spotting and stalking was my bread and butter. Thick forest, cross canyons, rolling flats. just depended on what I was after. Never been much of a stand hunter, until recently that's the only way I can hunt now.

I think your spot on and I agree with you on the .243 it will kill any animal. It's a center fire cartridge accepted by all Game and Fish Depts. in states I've hunted. It handles a good range of bullet weights, there are plenty of specialty projectiles available to hand load for it. Its a good killing caliber and Its a breeze to shoot.

Myself, I would have no problem hunting Cow Elk, or Caribou with that caliber. Other than that I'd go with a heavier caliber.

Keep your passion going little brother, keep improving your skills. Hit the high bore range often, get to where you hit 300 and 400 consistently. Don't worry about opinion seek solid information.
I really appreciate that man. I really do. God gave me the passion to hunt and live off the land and ill be the best i can be at it. If everyone handled it like you did there wouldn't be these ded gum arguments on here.
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #73

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Yes, but under realistic hunting conditions can you put your shots with a .243 into a 1 inch circle at say 200-300 yards?

Now, I'm not saying a .243 isn't a fine deer round cause it is. It's got more than enough power out past 300 yard to humanely harvest most deer.

I know a lot of people would disagree but I actually think that the .30-06 is actually a bit... overkill for most deer at normal hunting ranges. (Not saying it won't do a fine job, just that you can do just as good with less). My personal favorite for deer size game is actually the .25-06. Less recoil than a 30-06, flatter shooting and plenty of power out to 400 yard (which is further than I would take a shot in the field). I just like the sub-.30 cals (.257 Roberts through 7mm-08 ) for deer size game.

I'm don't claim to be any sort of expert, I'm sure there are people around the forum who've taken many more deer than I ever have. Still, I've did lots of research, shot some guns, and talked to other hunters, before I came to these decisions.

And, as always, YMMV.
200 I can easy. I really don't ever practice longer distances than that. I have with 400 and hit dead center with a plain reticle. I never am at those distances from game. I'm in the field with them hiding when they don't know. Stealth is my #1 priority and so far I have done pretty good haha.
I'm on the same page with you I have previously owned an -06 and loved to shoot it but it just didn't fit my style. I have read nothing but great things about the 25-06 and actually was going to buy one but at the time it wasn't in stock.
I'm not sure yet what caliber I'm even gonna buy. Just doing research still gettin as much info as I can. Thanks for your input
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #74

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
200 I can easy. I really don't ever practice longer distances than that. I have with 400 and hit dead center with a plain reticle. I never am at those distances from game. I'm in the field with them hiding when they don't know. Stealth is my #1 priority and so far I have done pretty good haha.
I'm on the same page with you I have previously owned an -06 and loved to shoot it but it just didn't fit my style. I have read nothing but great things about the 25-06 and actually was going to buy one but at the time it wasn't in stock.
I'm not sure yet what caliber I'm even gonna buy. Just doing research still gettin as much info as I can. Thanks for your input
Your enthusiasm is awesome but to say you shoot 200 yds and you are great at it doesn't mean shat. Lets here about some head shots on some turkeys at 200 yds ? You got some work in front of you if you want to be a military sniper-

That is where you are going with all this, cause killing animals that don't know you are coming doesn't mean shat. And the only measure of a rifleman is another rifleman, and learn more about the desert, we aren't done there.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #75

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
Your enthusiasm is awesome but to say you shoot 200 yds and you are great at it doesn't mean shat. Lets here about some head shots on some turkeys at 200 yds ? You got some work in front of you if you want to be a military sniper-

That is where you are going with all this, cause killing animals that don't know you are coming doesn't mean shat. And the only measure of a rifleman is another rifleman, and learn more about the desert, we aren't done there.
Well haha well almost every time I've killed turkeys I've had the opportunity to shoot em at that distance and farther but I call them in under 20 yards. This season ill headshot one from 200 and post it on here. I accept the challenge!
I'll finally have my best rifle setup to do so too. Haven't had that yet. Something always goes wrong

Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #76

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
Well haha well almost every time I've killed turkeys I've had the opportunity to shoot em at that distance and farther but I call them in under 20 yards. This season ill headshot one from 200 and post it on here. I accept the challenge!
I'll finally have my best rifle setup to do so too. Haven't had that yet. Something always goes wrong
A lot of animals/birds in Idaho are unprotected and can be shot year round. I would think a rifleman in oklahoma would know what he can shoot anytime of year and not have to wait until next season. Do you have coyotes ? Shoot the coyote son and use him for bait. Let me know when you shoot a coyote at 750 yds.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #77

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
A lot of animals/birds in Idaho are unprotected and can be shot year round. I would think a rifleman in oklahoma would know what he can shoot anytime of year and not have to wait until next season. Do you have coyotes ? Shoot the coyote son and use him for bait. Let me know when you shoot a coyote at 750 yds.
Well I don't live in Oklahoma but my grandparents do. I do a lot of huntin there and spring turkey season starts the 6 through may 6. There are coyotes yes. Plenty. I'll buy one and do my best! That's a dang good shot. Better have some good optics

Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #78

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Consider handloading if you and your dad don't do that now. It's a excellent compliment to all shooting.

Also look for shooting competition near you. While I envy your youth I did shoot all year long here in CT in gallery and outdoor matches.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #79

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
Consider handloading if you and your dad don't do that now. It's a excellent compliment to all shooting.

Also look for shooting competition near you. While I envy your youth I did shoot all year long here in CT in gallery and outdoor matches.
I wish we did. He wants to start soon though.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #80

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
it's going to be from the used market. I'm not sure if there is any current manufacture offerings. There are some jewels to be had out there.
This just screams "don't buy a 6mm" to me. You don't need a boutique chambered gun when you have only three. Keep the .270. Buy a Savings Bond. School books. Take someone out on a date...

Born To Hunt, you need to get a little more experience. Stop arguing and just pay attention. I love the .243. You don't need one.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-06-2013 at 12:58 AM.
axxe55 Likes This