Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
A good sportsman takes the animal into consideration and saves the silly stunts for some other pursuit.

When I moved to west Texas where the deer are significantly bigger than what I would normally shoot with my .243, I got a 7mm Remington mag ready for the mule deer, elk, auodad sheep - and the long shots that are common here.

Anybody who had the basic concept of sportsmanship down would do the same, though they might opt for a .308 or a .30-06 instead of the 7mm mag.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, so the 7mm magnum seemed a reasonable choice to me. ( The ranches here specify 30-06 as the minimum, but I believe a .308 would do OK if the shot isn't too long. )
I shot a 180lb 5x5 in west Texas where the state record buck was taken from with a 243 over 200 yards away. Dropped em.
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #62
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

okay we give up! you're the worlds greatest hunter and we need to bow down to your awesome hunting skills as we are not worthy of your presence.

BTW, just how old are you again?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #63

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
okay we give up! you're the worlds greatest hunter and we need to bow down to your awesome hunting skills as we are not worthy of your presence.

BTW, just how old are you again?
I'm just saying the freakin 243 is fine with example! The only person you should bow down to is Jesus Christ.
Comin up on 18
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #64
Texas Ranger Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
I'm just saying the freakin 243 is fine with example! The only person you should bow down to is Jesus Christ.
Comin up on 18
maybe i should have used the green lettering so you would have known it was sarcasm.

and i suspect i was using a 243 long before you ever knew anything about firearms. matter of fact my first two deer were killed with a 243 about 40 years ago!

so please enlighten us with your superior hunting skills. we are all ears and await your knowledge on this subject.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #65

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
maybe i should have used the green lettering so you would have known it was sarcasm.

and i suspect i was using a 243 long before you ever knew anything about firearms. matter of fact my first two deer were killed with a 243 about 40 years ago!

so please enlighten us with your superior hunting skills. we are all ears and await your knowledge on this subject.
I bought a Browning B78 Single Shot in 6mm in 1978, still got it. Thought it could do anything at the time. Thought a hole lotta things in fact. Sure like my 30 caliber these days-

So BornToHunt- what distances do you hunt with this .243 ?????

Last edited by Flat Tire; 04-03-2013 at 11:41 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #66

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:

Dude I'm not sayin I know more or my hunting is superior than every hunter in America. I don't understand why you're acting like I think that. ALL IM SAYING IS THAT THE CALIBER AND OTHER SIMILAR ROUNDS FIT MY STYLE. PERIOD. AND THEY TAKE TAKE AS HUMANE AS ANY OTHER. And to me save a little more meat in some cases

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #67

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
I bought a Browning B78 Single Shot in 6mm in 1978, still got it. Thought it could do anything at the time. Thought a hole lotta things in fact. Sure like my 30 caliber these days-

So BornToHunt- what distances do you hunt with this .243 ?????
Practiced at 400. But again, MY HUNTING style gets me under 300. I don't sit in blinds and watch the timed deer feeder go off.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #68
Texas Ranger Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
Dude I'm not sayin I know more or my hunting is superior than every hunter in America. I don't understand why you're acting like I think that. ALL IM SAYING IS THAT THE CALIBER AND OTHER SIMILAR ROUNDS FIT MY STYLE. PERIOD. AND THEY TAKE TAKE AS HUMANE AS ANY OTHER. And to me save a little more meat in some cases
first of all, i'm not some dude. second, i suspect you have quite a bit to learn about firearms and hunting, but who am i to try and teach you. i am just some old guy on a forum. do whatever floats your boat. maybe someday you'll smarten up and learn to listen to the wisdom of your elders and try and learn something. i feel anything else i might have to say would be a waste of my time and energy with you. have a nice day kid!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #69

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
first of all, i'm not some dude. second, i suspect you have quite a bit to learn about firearms and hunting, but who am i to try and teach you. i am just some old guy on a forum. do whatever floats your boat. maybe someday you'll smarten up and learn to listen to the wisdom of your elders and try and learn something. i feel anything else i might have to say would be a waste of my time and energy with you. have a nice day kid!
I don't know who you are and I ain't sayin I have close to the wisdom and experience you do! Never did. Please enlighten me! I want to learn. Im not some ignorant punk like most of todays culture. I separate myself from that crap. I have enough humility to know when someone else has the upper hand. And you do so please, no sarcasm intended, tell me what YOU think. What do you hunt with? What's your favorite(s) caliber? Optics? Tips? Anything!

Last edited by BornToHunt; 04-04-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #70

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 985

BTH...

When I was actively hunting before my body grew old LOL Tracking, spotting and stalking was my bread and butter. Thick forest, cross canyons, rolling flats. just depended on what I was after. Never been much of a stand hunter, until recently that's the only way I can hunt now.

I think your spot on and I agree with you on the .243 it will kill any animal. It's a center fire cartridge accepted by all Game and Fish Depts. in states I've hunted. It handles a good range of bullet weights, there are plenty of specialty projectiles available to hand load for it. Its a good killing caliber and Its a breeze to shoot.

Myself, I would have no problem hunting Cow Elk, or Caribou with that caliber. Other than that I'd go with a heavier caliber.

Keep your passion going little brother, keep improving your skills. Hit the high bore range often, get to where you hit 300 and 400 consistently. Don't worry about opinion seek solid information.

Become steel or get cut.
BornToHunt Likes This