Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 91 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
Where can you even buy a 6mm
Try the online auction sites, where you can find just about anything, often at a good price.

- Or just buy a Savage bolt gun and order a new barrel for it. With a couple of special wrenches and a go-nogo gauge set, you can swap barrels on a Savage in ten minutes or so.

The Savage is good for fellows who like to try out different cartridges on a budget. Get one with the accu-trigger, you'll be glad that you did.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #52

I wouldn't trust anyone who claims that they can kill "any animal in the union" with a .243 - or allow them to hunt on my property.

Statements like that do not tend to inspire confidence.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #53

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone who claims that they can kill "any animal in the union" with a .243 - or allow them to hunt on my property.

Shot placement???? Any firearm could. A 22lr could at shorter distance. You must not be a confident shot because any great shooter could kill any animal with any caliber. Heart, spine, brain stem. And if you aren't able to kill a moose with a 243 from a minimum 200 yards, well you shouldn't be huntin.
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #54

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo

I'm not sure what's meant by "animal in the union", but if what's your saying is that a .243 can't kill a deer sized animal, then you've got to rethink that.

The vast majority of people I now here in Canada have all started out hunting with a .243 of some sorts. All of them have harvested a couple deer with that caliber as well. I've personally never hunted anything bigger then coyotes, but I bought my .243 just incase I decide to deer hunt this coming season.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #55

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I'm not sure what's meant by "animal in the union", but if what's your saying is that a .243 can't kill a deer sized animal, then you've got to rethink that.

The vast majority of people I now here in Canada have all started out hunting with a .243 of some sorts. All of them have harvested a couple deer with that caliber as well. I've personally never hunted anything bigger then coyotes, but I bought my .243 just incase I decide to deer hunt this coming season.
If you wanted to elk hunt with a 243 you could!!!! If you rely on a +30. Cal bullet to kill a big game animal you should get some lessons.
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #56

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt

If you wanted to elk hunt with a 243 you could!!!! If you rely on a +30. Cal bullet to kill a big game animal you should get some lessons.
Relax man don't let comments Like that get to you. 243 is a great caliber but some look at it differently then others. For example I would not use it for deer because i feel it is more of a varmint caliber and i have other rifles that I feel would be better then a 243. But that's me I grow up in a family that used 30-30 and 30-06 and my grandpa gave me my first deer rifle and it was a 308 But the number one rule about any caliber no matter what it is SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY

Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #57

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Relax man don't let comments Like that get to you. 243 is a great caliber but some look at it differently then others. For example I would not use it for deer because i feel it is more of a varmint caliber and i have other rifles that I feel would be better then a 243. But that's me I grow up in a family that used 30-30 and 30-06 and my grandpa gave me my first deer rifle and it was a 308 But the number one rule about any caliber no matter what it is SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY
Exactly right man. My dads favorite hunting rifle, and overall favorite gun is his Winchester mod 94 30-30! I got one also and it's my go to brush gun. I like the challenge of the super fast small calibers though and with my style of hunting they suit me best

Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #58

A good sportsman takes the animal into consideration and saves the silly stunts for some other pursuit.

When I moved to west Texas where the deer are significantly bigger than what I would normally shoot with my .243, I got a 7mm Remington mag ready for the mule deer, elk, auodad sheep - and the long shots that are common here.

Anybody who had the basic concept of sportsmanship down would do the same, though they might opt for a .308 or a .30-06 instead of the 7mm mag.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, so the 7mm magnum seemed a reasonable choice to me. ( The ranches here specify 30-06 as the minimum, but I believe a .308 would do OK if the shot isn't too long. )

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21425 Times on 12159 Posts
Likes Given: 53385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
A good sportsman takes the animal into consideration and saves the silly stunts for some other pursuit.

When I moved to west Texas where the deer are significantly bigger than what I would normally shoot with my .243, I got a 7mm Remington mag ready for the mule deer, elk, auodad sheep - and the long shots that are common here.

Anybody who had the basic concept of sportsmanship down would do the same, though they might opt for a .308 or a .30-06 instead of the 7mm mag.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, so the 7mm magnum seemed a reasonable choice to me. ( The ranches here specify 30-06 as the minimum, but I believe a .308 would do OK if the shot isn't too long. )
^^^^^^100% This!^^^^^^

just because it "can" be done, doesn't mean it should be. ethical and responsible hunting is done with an appropriate caliber and at reasonable distances with the proper ammo and proper shot placement.

lot of people poach deer with rimfire 22's. sure as hell doesn't make it legal and ethical just because it can be done.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #60

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you break it's spine killing them instantly, how could you get any more humane than that??? Tell me please. They don't feel a thing. A 22lr could do that at a reasonable distance. A 22 mag could do it better. And a 243 for sure.