Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hunters and Riflemen, I need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I did a little research and the .257 wthby mag is interestin me most. Very fast round. Great down range ballistics. Anyone have experience with this Caliber?

3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #22

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would say now is not the time to let money burn a hole in your pocket. I personally prefer the .243 for my likes but the .270 is a great cartridge and you have some excellent other ones in the balance. I'd probably decide to do nothing but clean the Tikka.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
I would say now is not the time to let money burn a hole in your pocket. I personally prefer the .243 for my likes but the .270 is a great cartridge and you have some excellent other ones in the balance. I'd probably decide to do nothing but clean the Tikka.
Clean the tikka?
3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Buying a Tikka in a short action chambering is not that good an idea. Tikka only makes a long action gun so they add spacers to make it work with the short action rounds and you save no weight which to me is one of the main attractions of the short action guns.
Well the rifle are already 6.15 pounds. Light enough

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
It always blows my mind when guy's talk about the weight savings of a short action vs long action. If you can actually fell the difference of a few ounces of weight,you must have super powers.
IMO,It's all in your head!
Nope, I just like ultralight rifles so I won't buy anything with metal I don't need. I also outfit my guns with ultralight barrels, specialty stocks, Aluminum Talley ring/bases and shave every un-needed ounce out of them. Some folks don't care, I do. To each his own.

In any case it still seems silly to me to buy a full length action that is stuffed with junk to make it work with a short action round when there are so many good short actions out there that will work as designed. Not saying the Tikka is not a good gun. Had an ultralight in .338 WinMag that weighed in at a hair under 7 pounds scoped.

Oh and and I CAN tell the difference of a few ounces in a rifle, still working on leaping over tall buildings though.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post
Well the rifle are already 6.15 pounds. Light enough
Yep, know what a Tikka weights in at. Had one in .338 WinMag.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You shill have it??

Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
You shill have it??
Nope. Sold it to a guy that has a nice Tikka collection in just about every configuration they make.

I prefer blind magazine bolt action hunting rifles (just a personal quirk) and no one makes a blind mag stock for the Tikka. Loved the gun but I have an issue with rifles that I can't get exactly the way I want them. I just can't leave anything alone...

Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
I'm stuck in a decision and can't make up my mind. Right now I have a tikka t3 270 and am really wanting a 243 again. I have a 22 mag and 270 and 30-30 for hunting but have no in between. I really want another 243 in tikka but I don't have a lot of money. I only have like 600$ to work with. I am thinking about selling my 270 and buying a tikka 243 and putting my money towards upgrading that to a mean killin machine(even though is comes stock like that) if I was to keep the 270 then I would have to buy the 243-$570 and them topp it off with a scope another 300$ and bullets then if I decided to customize them, that's twice the money I'd have to spend. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would sure help???
Hey BTH,

Your heart is not into selling your Tikka .270 so dont do it. It will become one of those constant life regrets..

If you gotta have a Tikka .243 then wait and save your dollars. I'd hit up the gun and pawn shops looking for a good used rifle, or even a beat up rifle with a solid action And have a simple project to work on.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #30

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do you hunt? I can see by your avatar that you hunt turkeys, but what do you hunt with your .22WMR, your .30-30, and your .270?

You asked about the .257 Weatherby Magnum. It is a very fine round, but good luck finding ammo for it and, when you do, it's very expensive, unless you can load your own.

Oh, and we used to live in Mansfield when it was nothing but ranches. My son went to high school there.