Hung out to dry by Del-ton
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hung out to dry by Del-ton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hung out to dry by Del-ton

I own a small shop that custom builds ARs and Uppers for people as well as NFA items. I placed a $1650.00 parts order on 2/23 with Del-Ton, I called to check and make sure each item was in stock. Once I had confirmed each item was in stock I hit the submit button on my internet order. The morning of 2/28 morning I get the following email for Del-ton:

Hi,
We are sorry, but at this time rifle parts are back ordered indefinitely. We can keep your order on back order if you wish, however we cannot give any time frame on when it may be shipped. We are sorry for any inconvenience. The items that are available for shipment on this order include the lower receivers, sling swivel and rivet. Please let me know if you would like for me to send available items.

Thanks,
Del-Ton Inc

I called Del-ton (2/28) to see what had caused the back ordered. I was told that that on 2/27 Del-tons Higher ups had held a sales meeting and decided to halt shipment of parts orders that had been placed but not shipped so that Distributor demand for complete rifles could be met. After a long conversation with a very nice woman who answers the phones I was told that out of my $1650 order they could send the $0.20 front swivel rivet and nothing else, not even the LOWERS. I had already ordered another $600 worth of parts that Del-ton does not carry form a different seller to complete the uppers I needed to build for our customers.

I decided to cancel the order rather than sit on a permit back order list for the parts that I needed this week. The same parts I was told " Yes everything on your list is in stock, the parts will ship out soon, they just need to process the order".

During my phone call on 2/28 I was told the Distributors have priority, which I can understand, to a certain extent. What I cannot understand or believe is that Del-ton would do this to their other customers who already have standing orders and a history of buying from them in the past.

I own a small shop that does custom builds, that order was for parts that were going to some of my companies' customers who were expecting a finished product by a certain date. A date that was given to our customers after I talked with Del-ton and after I was told that we would have the parts in our shop shortly thereafter. I spent yesterday on the phone with many distributors trying to get the parts in time for us meet the dead line with our customers.

I cannot even begin to tell you how disappoint and annoyed we are with Del-ton pulling the rug out from under us after taking our order for parts that were in stock ready to ship. I could understand taking back orders from the day of the sales meeting forward on new orders. But to put existing orders on indefinite back order after telling us these item were in stock ready to ship is not acceptable. Our business was counting on their word that the parts would be here.

We choose to cancel the order. I asked the very nice lady who answered the phone call to share our extremely disappointed feelings with the higher ups at Del-ton. Clearly the decision was not her fault and she was very professional which I want to point out to her credit. I also explained that we would not be purchasing anything from them again.

I just wanted to share how little Del-ton seems to care about their repeat customers. We have had good dealings in the past with Del-Ton, but we are dissapointed in them now.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Disappointing!
You should order from their closest competitor & then send them pictures of your satisfied customers and their rifles & targets.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Disappointing!
You should order from their closest competitor & then send them pictures of your satisfied customers and their rifles & targets.
That's exactly what I would do.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

The problem w/ that is that they don't care. They'll just blow it off and it won't bother them at all.
cottontop

Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The problem w/ that is that they don't care. They'll just blow it off and it won't bother them at all.
cottontop
It would probably help any hurt feelings on his part, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

It would probably help any hurt feelings on his part, though.
Ya, del-ton may not care, but it would make me feel better.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #7

I don't mind Del-ton meeting a demand with the distributors. Business is about making money but it pisses me off that they took our order while telling me "yes we have that In stock and will ship it out to you" only to come back a basically say "we have the stuff you ordered and that we promised you but we are giving it to someone more important".

I have made a point to cross post this on many forum sites and to date the threads have been viewed about 4500 times Some of which have over 40 responses. I am seeing a pattern of many people saying they are not surprised by Del-ton throwing customers under the bus and they are taking the opportunity to tell others about their disappointing orders from Del-ton. I have to wonder how many people have parts on order with Del-ton who will not see the parts they ordered due to the sudden "back order" of parts that are actually on hand? Considering there is a thread 5 pages long over on the ARF.com site of people asking "where's my order" maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised when Del-ton failed to deliver.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

this is in part why i decided not to buy one of their rifles. after going through several reviews and finding their products were very good, but CS was very much lacking. IMO, i don't care how good your item is, if your CS stinks, i won't buy it.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well with all the negative press out there on DelTon they wouldn't have been an option in the first place especially if I was in the business of building ARs for a living.

They should have had a cut off time and all orders after that date but not those placed before such a meeting.

Well anyway a couple of us on here a like broken records warning others of such corner cutting low quality places.

It sucks but with so many quality places available the only thing I can say is, why.

What's your profit? Would the reassurance of ordering from a reputable supplier be worth a slightly smaller profit?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

"Would the reassurance of ordering from a reputable supplier be worth a slightly smaller profit?"

Del-ton parts where used to do "budget builds" for customers who are more interested in price then if it was built from the best quality parts. Often those builds are bare bones, Standard HGs, non chrome lined barrels, phosphate bolts rather then Chrome or Nickle Boron, these guns are directed at a market of budget minded shooters. We are upfront with people and explain the differance between "budget" and "quality preformance" builds and the parts that go into each parts. I understand what your saying I see how it many not look the best to be using Delton parts, but they where only used on the low dollar stuff and things like their barrels are clearly marked.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com