Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   HRA Late Production M1 Garand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hra-late-production-m1-garand-41159/)

Immortal4419 04-12-2011 03:37 AM

HRA Late Production M1 Garand

I have the opportunity to pic up a "very late production HRA" M1 Garand for a very good price. It is supposed to be 100% correct with all original parts and in collector condition/grade. Ive wanted a good M1 Garand for a long time, and this sounds like the best deal I will get. What do I need to know about these? He said is is like new with ME/TE specs as new, what exactly does this mean? My friend has already bought an M1 from him and I know where these are coming from Id just like to know some more tips before purchasing.

Also feel free to post some pictures of your M1.

CA357 04-12-2011 03:47 AM

ME: muzzle erosion

TE: throat erosion

If it's all matching, it is either unissued or it was put together using the same manufacturer's parts at some point. Issued rifles went through armories and had parts replaced. It never mattered which manufacturer as long as it was a good part. So, unless it's a virgin unissued rifle, it's likely a parts rifle that someone took the time and money to make "correct".

Rifles also went through Company armorers and the same thing happened. GI's break sh*t. They're good at it, they're trained to break sh*t. Except that sometimes they break their own sh*t. Rifles get put back together and put back in service.

Pictures would help a great deal. The rollmarks and stamps on the rifle and the cartouches on the stock can tell the story quite well.

CA357 04-12-2011 03:51 AM

My 1943 Springfield M1. Sadly, I no longer have this one.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...vy002jpg-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...vy001jpg-1.jpg

Immortal4419 04-12-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 484649)
ME: muzzle erosion

TE: throat erosion

If it's all matching, it is either unissued or it was put together using the same manufacturer's parts at some point. Issued rifles went through armories and had parts replaced. It never mattered which manufacturer as long as it was a good part. So, unless it's a virgin unissued rifle, it's likely a parts rifle that someone took the time and money to make "correct".

Rifles also went through Company armorers and the same thing happened. GI's break sh*t. They're good at it, they're trained to break sh*t. Except that sometimes they break their own sh*t. Rifles get put back together and put back in service.

Pictures would help a great deal. The rollmarks and stamps on the rifle and the cartouches on the stock can tell the story quite well.

I know that this gun is coming from nearby Camp Perry, sounds as if it was unissued. I will ask and ask for pictures as well.

CA357 04-12-2011 04:10 AM

That will help. It sounds good coming from Camp Perry. :cool:

Immortal4419 04-12-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 484670)
That will help. It sounds good coming from Camp Perry. :cool:

Yeah and the price is amazing from what ive seen.

JonM 04-12-2011 04:42 AM

a muzzle gauge is the collectors best friend. i never go to a gunshow or gunstore without a gauge for the calibers im looking for. never take the seller's word for it.

with old war type rifles the erosion level determines the value more than numbers in most cases.

Immortal4419 04-12-2011 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 484698)
a muzzle gauge is the collectors best friend. i never go to a gunshow or gunstore without a gauge for the calibers im looking for. never take the seller's word for it.

with old war type rifles the erosion level determines the value more than numbers in most cases.

I will have to look into getting one. I honestly know nothing about them. Im kinda just getting into my own collection. Everything else has been military issued and that was the extent of my shooting until the past year.

JonM 04-12-2011 05:38 AM

A muzzle gauge is a cylinder of steel that has graduation marks 0-4 or 5 depending on the maker. You place it in the business end of the barrel and where it stops tells the wear.

I won't buy a milsurp I don't intend to rebarrel that gauges past 2.5 or so as I buy to shoot them and don't normally resell my oldmilitary rifles. Since I look for shooters I generally don't care about part matching. I pass on a lot of rifles that havehigh price tags thatgauge above 3 or 4.

I prefer muzzle wear as a sign of shot out barrels since some monkey business can be done with reamers on throat end. Its easier to tell ifsomeone has chopped the muzzle end and recrowned vs just reamed and reset the extension.

Itsnot the only factor just a very quick test to tell if you wanna waste time investigating further or wlk on to the next rifle.