Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How's Marlington doing these days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 93 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default How's Marlington doing these days?

I've been fiending over a 45/70 GBL lately but I'm still leery of pulling the trigger, so to speak. Anyone know if they are getting their QC headed in the right direction? I'm sure these things take time to overcome and I'm sure Remington has no intention of running the Marlin name into the ground.

I guess the Henry 45/70 is an option but it's an ugly one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

OhKay.....I guess they are still sucking!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16873 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

i have heard the biggest problems were with the lever action rifles and that quality and fit were getting better. i have a Marlin XS7VH in 308 that was made after the move and it is as good as any of the other X7 rifles i have that made prior to the move in operations to the Remington New York plant.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon
I've been fiending over a 45/70 GBL lately but I'm still leery of pulling the trigger, so to speak. Anyone know if they are getting their QC headed in the right direction? I'm sure these things take time to overcome and I'm sure Remington has no intention of running the Marlin name into the ground.

I guess the Henry 45/70 is an option but it's an ugly one.
I'd comment further, but I haven't a clue what you're talking about???

Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

i bought a new 45/70GBL a few months ago. works great. fit and finish is good but not like it was 100 years ago but few things are. mine holds about 1.5 to 2 moa open sights. only negatives is the plastic magazine follower and the V ladder type sights. both of which are easy to replace should you wish to.

here is mine:

i forgot to wipe my prints off it before taking pics :/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

See! It's a dead sexy boom stick! I went with my buddy a few months back to pick up his stainless big loop. They had a few on the rack and all three of them had dented tubes and stripped out lever screws. The actions were really rough and still had shavings in them. Shortly after that, there were no Marlin lever guns on the racks for a while. That put me off and then I started reading the problems that other people have had after the Remington take over.

But I can wait no longer.....if I can find one with an unmolested mag tube, I can deal with the rest. And yep, the plastic follower and sights will be the first things to get changed out.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
See! It's a dead sexy boom stick! I went with my buddy a few months back to pick up his stainless big loop. They had a few on the rack and all three of them had dented tubes and stripped out lever screws. The actions were really rough and still had shavings in them. Shortly after that, there were no Marlin lever guns on the racks for a while. That put me off and then I started reading the problems that other people have had after the Remington take over.

But I can wait no longer.....if I can find one with an unmolested mag tube, I can deal with the rest. And yep, the plastic follower and sights will be the first things to get changed out.
i ordered mine through a local shop. nothing at all wrong or amiss. i havent changed anything yet. i inspected all the marlins they had for sale and all were in good shape

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16873 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post

Remington did not buy out Marlin. they are still two different companies, both owned by the Freedom Group which is owned by Cerberus Capital Investments. they were bought by the Freedom Group about five years ago and just recently moved the Marlin operations to the Remington Plant late 2010. the Freedom Group also owns, DPMS, Bushmaster, H & R 1871, NEF, AAC, Dakota Arms, Barnes Bullets, L C Smith, and others.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

This is my .45-70 Guide Gun that was purchased well before Cerberus, (Freedom Group), purchased Marlin. It's the older ported model. It is very similar to Jon's rifle made after the take over. I'd hate to live on the difference found in the fit and finish of either gun. The lower photo is my Golden 39-A that I bought new in 1999. I compared it to one I saw in a local shop a few weeks back. It was every bit as nice. Again, I could detect no difference in quality.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Sweet 39A you've got there. I sold mine in the late 80s and have regretted it ever since. The new one I saw at Cabelas, well, it sucked ! Action was gritty as hell and the price was sky high. QC was out to lunch and Henry is the only choice left.