Howa/Axiom Varmint package?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Howa/Axiom Varmint package?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

Default Howa/Axiom Varmint package?

Need some advice from the old hands here. Experienced shooter but a newbie when it comes to target shooting. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49441-55.html
What are your thoughts on this package from CTD? Is there a better place to spend my $800.00 on a .223 target rifle including optics? I have read good things about the Howa action and this stock looks very intelligently designed. Not sure if the scope is any good for the money?

I like the new Mossberg MVP package as well but several calls to local gun shops have told me that it isn't available yet. Sent an e-mail to Mossberg about when will it be available, we'll see what they say.

Opinions and advice welcome, I want to learn how to target shoot, .223/5.56 ammo is relatively cheap. Not serious about competition or anything like that, I just want to beat my own goals for grouping and bullet placement.

Thanks,

Dan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Generally speaking when you get a rifle/scope package you are not getting much in the way of the scope. The rings are probably low end as well. BUT I do have to say that the NikkoStirling scopes I have are very good. Japanese glass is clear in all ranges of magnification and keep zero to boot. I think that the Mossberg used to use Bushnell as their package scope, probably still do, not IMO near the quality as the Nikko.
The Mossberg will be a good rifle, I'm sure. Howa is a great rifle. If the .223 shoots like my .308 you will be well pleased.

Or you can pass the packages put together by the companies and pick your own rifle, rings, scope, etc. just the way you like at your convenience and at your price point. Enjoy whatever you get.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #3

Liked 1284 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 613

There's always a better place to buy a gun from.There's nothing cheap from Cheaper Than Dirt!

The Howa is a good rifle,but they only have a 1-12 twist barrel which really limits you to shooting the light weight 223 caliber bullets.A good twist rate for a 223 is a 1-8 or 1-9,and most use a 1-9 twist.
Savage,Tikka,and CZ-USA all offer 1-9 twist barrels,and also offer it in a heavy/varmint weight barrel,plus they are all better made guns with better factory triggers.

Almost always,you are better off buying a rifle and optics seperately.The package guns come with very low end scopes,although the Nikko Sterling scopes have had decent reviews in the past.
You can buy any of the brands of rifles listed for $500-700,and then spend whatever you can afford for some decent glass.You can find some great scopes for really good prices if you search around on the net,and you can also get a used higher end scope for what a cheaper scope will cost you new.I've never had a problem buying used higher end scopes,and you will enjoy shooting your rifle that much more with better glass.
I've bought scopes that new were $2k,and have paid less than half that price for them used,and they didn't have a scratch on them.

Check prices on Gunbroker,and then add about $40-60 to the prices you see,That will get you in the ballpark of what most local dealers will be asking for the guns on their racks.

Good Luck in choosing one.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree with the others as most of the rifle packages, usually put a scope that is at the lower end of quality. much better to buy the rifle separately and buy a better scope and rings. you will be money ahead in the long run, as you will find the scope just doesn't meet your expectations and usually pay more for the package deal, then end up replacing the scope very shortly. about the only time it makes sense to buy a package deal, is looking for an inexpensive hunting rig, just to use a few times a year. but if looking at doing more serious target shooting and the rifle is the one you want, and the Howa is a very good rifle, then buy the rifle and then buy a good name brand scope, and buy some really good rings for it.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

That is what is appealing about this package, I have read some separate reviews of this scope what were pretty good. My problem is, at this point, with scopes, I don't even know what is good, although I know from being a camera fanatic that obviously Leupold, Zeiss and the like are going to be quality. The stock looks really interesting and the rifle seems like a good deal. I will probably just have my local gun shop order it, he won't be the cheapest, but they way I figure it, if we don't support our local small gun shops, there won't be any more small, local gun shops. I was considering the Howa 1500 package from Sniper Central but that is a lot more money and hassle and this is definitely just a new hobby for my son and me so spending around $700.00 to $800.00 seems smarter.

I am a photographer as well as a shooter and that's what has happened in the world of camera shops, everybody buys on-line and in my town, all of the camera shops went under. So now, there is no local source when I buy camera gear, I just have to order off of the web and hope that I like it. Thanks for all of the advice, I am going to research some scopes. For target shooting, what kinds of power, features am I looking for?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

You should look here: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-varmint/

I am a big fan of Howa rifles, but the CZ is really a gem. You can find them for about $595.00 if you look. CZ rings are about $50.00.
Top it w/ this scope and you really have a shooter!
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightron-sii-4-16x42mm-riflescopes-sii416x42.html
Sightron has a $75.00 rebate right now.

I have a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42mmAO on mine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 02-03-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

Savage model10 in snow camo 243 cal . 1.00 group 200yard . BestRifle I've own

Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #8

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptkeeper View Post
Savage model10 in snow camo 243 cal . 1.00 group 200yard . BestRifle I've own
What scope? The CZ does that also, but what ammo do you use. 200 yards is just stretching the legs of a .243. My CZ will do that on a good day at 300 yards. I've shot young Woodchuck pups at 300 at ventilated their 2" skull.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 759

The CZ 527 Varmint has 1:9. Unfortunately my CZ 527 American has a 1:12. It will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards with 45 grn bullets, small cloverleafs. I blew quite a few shots till I learned that set trigger.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #10

Thanks for the alternative j. I will check this out. I know CZ makes some great rifles. Seems like this is the problem with this decision, there are a lot of .223 target/varmint rigs out there that are great, it's just tough to make up your mind when you haven't shot any of them.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You should look here: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-varmint/

I am a big fan of Howa rifles, but the CZ is really a gem. You can find them for about $595.00 if you look. CZ rings are about $50.00.
Top it w/ this scope and you really have a shooter!
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightron-sii-4-16x42mm-riflescopes-sii416x42.html
Sightron has a $75.00 rebate right now.

I have a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42mmAO on mine.