Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > howa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default howa?

Been thinkin of a new hunting rifle and just seen howa. Anyone have one or know really anything about them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Look im not a huge fan although it is mainly due to the stock.. Hogue stock IMO is ****house. Felt too fat in the forend an all over not my cup of tea.
In saying that the action an barrels are fine . In a synthetic stock id use one no worries.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon0331 View Post
Been thinkin of a new hunting rifle and just seen howa. Anyone have one or know really anything about them.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard which is basically a rebadged Howa. The action and barrels are very good on these rifles considering the price. If you decide on the Weatherby Vanguard instead of the Howa, it comes in a variety of different finishes and stocks. Mine is in .300 Weatherby Magnum, and I must say with handloads it is one of my more accurate rifles. Weatherby now test fires these and culls the more accurate ones as MOA rifles, and engraves that on the floorplate. They sell for a few more bucks. They might be worth it if you don't handload. I forgot what group size they guarantee, but for a hunting rifle it's pretty good.

Mine is not freebored the way the Mark V's are, and because of that I'm able to seat most of my loads .020 off the lands. Doing this I've never had a load go over an inch. Even with cheaper FMJ bullets. With 210 gr. Berger's or 208 gr. Hornady A-Max's it will cut one ragged hole for as long as I care to sit there and pull the trigger.