Howa 1500 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Howa 1500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
no i did not know that ! tell me how. Is there really a disadvantage of having a long action?
He is talking about the new WSM and the WSSM ( Winchester Short Magnum and the Winchester Super Short Magnum ).

Small action cartridge, super fat shell. Puts a ton of pressure in a smaller place. Wears out the barrels a bit faster than normal as well.

There isn't a problem with a good long action like the Howa. If you were getting a Remington 700 long action, now THAT would be a problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool. i think i will stick with the long action .300 win mag due to the barrell wear issues, and ive also heard of feed/magazine problems with the short squatty rounds. I found out that there is an alleged "Custom" gun shop not to far from here over in cayuga IN i called them today.....no answer strike 1, but i will see if they are competent enough to do all the work for me when i get the hardwear.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #13

Liked 1401 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 429

Kings Mountain Product 1

$395 for a .300 win mag. Although I bought my Howa at Wal-Mart because it was so close to my house and they are cheaper(they can special order them). Also king's Mountain did not have it in stock. After you pay shipping and FFL fee's it would probably be in your best interest monetarily to get a complete gun locally.

edit - if your looking for a specific model # of Howa and can't find it, call Legacy sports direct. You can get a real person on the phone pretty quick and they can tell you which distributors they have sold specific model numbers to.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #14

Quote:
cool. i think i will stick with the long action .300 win mag due to the barrell wear issues, and ive also heard of feed/magazine problems with the short squatty rounds. I found out that there is an alleged "Custom" gun shop not to far from here over in cayuga IN i called them today.....no answer strike 1, but i will see if they are competent enough to do all the work for me when i get the hardwear.
If you are looking for some standard questions to ask, let me know, I can help you out.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sure JD that would be great! I want to make sure im not dealing with some uncommonly smart hillbillies that can talk their way around a new b like me and then drill the holes on my gun with a Dewalt and wal mart drill bits

Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Called the "custom" shop in indiana today and it seems like they are somewhat on the ball im going to head over there sometime this week or next and look at what they have and what there building

Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
cbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I am having my .308 whacked off down to a 20" bull barrel ....JD
What does the little lady say about this!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
sure JD that would be great! I want to make sure im not dealing with some uncommonly smart hillbillies that can talk their way around a new b like me and then drill the holes on my gun with a Dewalt and wal mart drill bits
Definitely you need to take a look at the shop.

See what kind of equipment they have. Ask how long they have been in business.

Is the place clean? Do they have a ton of hand tools, or only a few. The more the better in this case.

Ask them what their current market is for people who come in? If they are doing scope mounts and trigger jobs, that is a red flag. A good gun shop does those as fill work while waiting on parts, they don't make a living doing that kind of high turn over work.

Ask them who they buy their barrels for their custom build guns. If they say Brownell's, or they say they really like doing business with Douglas, you are in the wrong shop.

A serious rifle shop will be a prefered dealer with a couple of real barrel makers. They don't buy 6 barrels from Brownells once a year.

Ask to see their book. Every good gun maker should have picture book of work they have done. Take a look at it. Do the rifles look impressive? Also, look at the picture themselves. Do they look like the guy took any time setting up angles with the camera, staging the rifle? Or is it just in a rifle holder and here's a shot of it.

If the guy doesn't take pride in his work, his photos will show that. Of there are tools scattered all over, if the weapon is dirty, if it's only part of the build, the start and the finish, ask why. Someone that is serious will be showing off his masterpieces, not just stuff he threw together.

Ask him if he could collaborate with one OTHER gun maker on a weapon for the most important person in his life, ask him who it is, and why.

Every gunsmith thinks they are the best, but they are not all going to think they are the best at, say, making a stock from scratch, or doing engraving, something like that. If the guy tells you that there is no one else he would trust on such a gun, turn around and walk out. His mouth is MUCH bigger than his ability. Everyone has somebody they respect in the gun business for what their SPECIALTY is. Or they should have someone like that if they had been in the business for any length of time.

Ask them if they have any local shooters who have placed well recently. A good gunshop will have 2 or 3 rifles shooting every weekend in various competitions. If they don't - there is probably a reason.

Other than that, ask about repairs, returns, shop credit or cash back? The usual stuff you would want to find out about before you handing over a bunch of cash.

Also, make sure you have a good phone number them - and watch what happens when the phone rings and you are there. If they answer 1 call out of 3 or 4 while you are talking, but tell the guy he is with a customer, but will call the guy back, that is a good sign. If he looks at every number on call display, but doesn't answer, or flat out says he isn't going to answer, that is a bad sign. Walk Away, you are never going to get in touch with that guy once he has your money.

Just some stuff to think about on the drive over....

JD

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
What does the little lady say about this!
She doesn't know - but no complaints so far.