Howa 1500
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Howa 1500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Howa 1500

It seems like finding a anction for my build might be a little harder than i expected. From my research on here and other places on the internet the howa 1500 action seems like a decent choice. The Howa website has the barrelled actions for about 450 i think. Im wondering if my ffl can order just the action from Howa without the barrell so i can get a kreiger. what do you think? do yo u think the action will be significantly cheaper without the barrell ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Most of the time they are but not by much. If you just go and buy the cheapest rifle in the line Then strip the parts you don't need and put them up on Gunbroker or here they will sell and you will end up getting the action cheaper than if you just ordered the action.

I know a guy that will order you the new savage "Port" action. It is a right bolt left or right port single shot action. One of the stiffest factory actions out there now.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't believe there are many companies selling just rifled actions these days. The market is just too good for full builds.

Howa is out of Japan, so perhaps they will sell just the action. I did a side by side comparison that is floating around here somewhere that shows the true strengths of the Howa. It's a hell of a good action, especially for a build. It's all CNC cut from one block of steel, nice flat bottom for quality bedding. I really like it.

Even if you have to buy the full rifle, you can probably get some money out of that factory stock and barrel to offset the cost of your Krieger....

Excellent choice - I look forward to reading about your progress and how she turns out for you.

What caliber are you building?

JD

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Howa' s website says they sell just the barrelled actions Howa Rifles

I was origionally thinking .308 win but im starting to lean toward the 300 win mag , and all the talk on here about the 7mm rem mag has got me interested in its capabilities vs other popular rounds in this area.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Well, that would definitely save you some coin. You might want to check out the Weatherby Vanguard line up as well. It's almost the same action, still made by Howa with a couple of subtle Weatherby line up tweaks, but it comes with a Sub-Moa guarantee.

The .308 is available everywhere - but it's effectiveness past about 600 yards really is disappointing.

I am having my .308 whacked off down to a 20" bull barrel and it's going to be my Urban Tactical application. Roof top to street, or rooftop to building across the street. That sort of thing.

The 7mm Remington Mag is a hot, flat, long range shooter. It's what the FBI HRT team went to about 3 years ago, maybe a little more. It's a hell of a round.

.300 Win mag is another flat shooter that has major potentional is a Tactical Application....

JD

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #6

If you get a 308 or .473" bolt face that opens you up to a lot of different rounds that would fit your bill. From factory chambering to wildcats there are some many different cartridges built off the .473" bolt face size. Shoot even a 284 winchester would work in that. Even though the 6.5-284 is more popular today the 284 in a good quality built rifle will turn in stunning performance.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im really leaning in the direction of the 300 win mag, which i believe means i will have to go up to a magnum length action ? I like the information i have gotten on that cartridge and it will do everything i need from killing coyotes to elk (yes i plan to lug a 14# rifle on an elk hunt....im a man damit anyone who thinks they need a fluted pencil barrell to go out west and shoot big game is a poosay) and i also want to use it for targets and steel possibly out to 1000 yards....more like 500-600 but i want to know my rifle will do the job if need be.

I did run into a question earlier. when you order a barrell from one of the major manufactures is the chamber cut to a set spefication, or are they all a little different and you have to make handloads to fit your chamber. I guess what im asking is can i get a barrell cut to use factory premium ammo from the barrell factory, or do i have to get the ammo first and have the chamber cut to fit the ammo?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

Most of the standard cartridges have special reamers that your smith can buy, or in the case of Krieger or one of those places, they can pre-cut for you.

No pre-cut chamber is going to be as tight as after you fire form the brass with firing the first round and reloading, but if you were to talk to my guy, and tell him you wanted to fire "X" brand of ammo, he would cut the chamber based on those specs. There isn't a ton of difference out there, but it's enough that your fire formed brass will always be a better overall fit ( hand to glove ) than off the shelf boxed ammo....

JD

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #9

Yes you either want to know what brand and type of ammo you are going to be using and then you go and buy as much of one lot numnber as you can. Then you give some to your smith so he can cut the camber to fit that load. If you are handloading then you can have your smith make a sizing die out of the old barrel or an old barrel.

Most of the time your smith will get with you one the load you want to go with and he will cut the chamber and throat to meet your specs. You can get the power of the 300 wm in a short action you know that right.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

no i did not know that ! tell me how. Is there really a disadvantage of having a long action?