Howa 1500 .308 tactical
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Howa 1500 .308 tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Howa 1500 .308 tactical

Iv been eyeing this. They have it on sale at buds right now. I have been thinking about getting into some longer range shooting. My only centerfire rifle right now is a mosin. This looks like a fair starter setup that can be improved upon in the future. So what do you all think of this? I know the glass is pretty much junk and the stock will go. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

This is the same company that makes the Weatherby Vanguard.

Howa rifles have an excellent reputation.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #3

That seems to be what i am finding also. Good action and they seem to be pretty nice shooters. Im still not sure on the barrel length though. The farthest I will be able to shoot this will been 500 yards. Its available in 20" and 24" so what length should I get? I have been looking at the bell & Carlson stocks and they seen to be pretty nice stocks. I think im gonna enjoy dinging some steel with this type of setup. So what say you all?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #4

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Not knocking the Howa, but as long as there is the Savage 10 FP it is fighting for second place. Savages are tough to beat in the accuracy department though my Tikka will hang with the best of them.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_man2003 View Post
That seems to be what i am finding also. Good action and they seem to be pretty nice shooters. Im still not sure on the barrel length though. The farthest I will be able to shoot this will been 500 yards. Its available in 20" and 24" so what length should I get? I have been looking at the bell & Carlson stocks and they seen to be pretty nice stocks. I think im gonna enjoy dinging some steel with this type of setup. So what say you all?
The 24 looks better imo. My friend has a B&C on his 700 varmint. It is a sweet piece. It has a longer barrel 24 or 26. I have seen the short heavy barrel guns at stores with similar stocks. Too me they look out of place. I have been eyeing howa for a while. I will own one in future.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Last edited by tomgodd; 05-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Not knocking the Howa, but as long as there is the Savage 10 FP it is fighting for second place. Savages are tough to beat in the accuracy department though my Tikka will hang with the best of them.
Get real!!!! I've had my Howa .308HB for many years. It eats any surplus ammo, factory, or handloads, and shoots all very well. With IMI or LC 7.62x51 it shoots ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It gets really old hearing about the mighty Savage. I just may sell mine as I am tired of hearing how superior they are. The flat bottom receiver of the Howa make it more ridged then others and it also has a Sako style extractor. All milled steel. BTW, you are knocking the Howa and anything that is not a Savage. I really dislike the accu-trigger. Has that Glock feel that gives me the willy's. Not bashing Glocks though!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

BTW, shorter barrels are stiffer, and in the general case, more accurate. Velocity will be a bit lower. but that will not effect accuracy.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

I kinda like the look of the shorter barrel. I was more concerned about any loss in performance accuracy wise. Bit it seems from what im finding that the harmonics of the shorter barrel are much better than the longer barrels. The velocity loss should not be a problem at the ranges i will be shooting at. I looked at the savages and they . Are out of my price range. It seems to me that the howa is kinda like the savage of old more a working mans gun with great accuracy.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Get real!!!! I've had my Howa .308HB for many years. It eats any surplus ammo, factory, or handloads, and shoots all very well. With IMI or LC 7.62x51 it shoots ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It gets really old hearing about the mighty Savage. I just may sell mine as I am tired of hearing how superior they are. The flat bottom receiver of the Howa make it more ridged then others and it also has a Sako style extractor. All milled steel. BTW, you are knocking the Howa and anything that is not a Savage. I really dislike the accu-trigger. Has that Glock feel that gives me the willy's. Not bashing Glocks though!
Fact remains that only team Savage shoots international level 1,000yd matches with off the shelf factory rifles (and WINS!), while Weatherby and Howa make quality hunting rifles that is something on the next level IMHO.
I have owned half a dozen Savages ALL of them were fantastic shooters, so I will vouch for their accuracy.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-26-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I think I'll burn my savage instead. As the OP said, the Savage are out of his price range. This is a great entry level package. With the price of the barreled action, stock, mount, rings, optics, and bipod it is going to be hard to beat.
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=1
Strange they don't offer a Savage though. The Savage may be a good rifle, but it is not the end all by far. The rifles used by "team savage are base 1250.00 msrp rifles, not for the average joe. That includes nothing else!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.