Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How young is too young?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I was 6-years old when I got my first BB gun, a .22 Hornet rifle at 10, and a shotgun at 13. Then it was all up hill from there. I now have handguns and carbines. Guns just grow on people.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7745 Times on 4474 Posts
Likes Given: 9995

I think this thread should be a "sticky"

Many parents who may not be members or even sign up can read this thread and get some good advice.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had bb guns at 6 and at 10 I went shooting clays with my dad got an over under 20ga when I was 11 and a 12 when I was 12 when I was 12 when I was 13 a 10/22 and a mosin 91/30.

My mom was not a gun person and didn't want me to have guns but they have become a very big part of my life.
So I think its important to start kids out young.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7745 Times on 4474 Posts
Likes Given: 9995

I was raised in a "Gun Free" home (actually something of a commune). I was self-taught as far as gun safety and it could have been disastrous. I remember getting my first gun, a Marlin Model 60, from an friend at work. I brought it up into the hills with a friend of mine and I fired it, then operated the bolt and there was an unfired round in the chamber. I had no clue about semi-auto. I was firing into a hillside 50 yards away and (understandably) could not see the bullet having any effect. I was as ignorant as mud about guns. Not too long after that I took the Hunter safety course and got my hunting license, but more importantly I got an education on gun safety.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a 4h adviser for shooting sports we start kids at 8yrs old enough to understand responsibility and yes there are different maturity levels but we usually know by the time we get through the safety and range commands and range edicate usually couple of meetings which is one month then we start them on the bench. If you don't have any kids yet this is time to introduce your girl friend to shooting sports and get her familiar with fire arms and educate her the proper way and not by the way of hear say. good luck be patient and dot hurry it.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #26

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My son turns 9 in april, the wife and i have decided that we are going to buy him his first BB gun. Then an adult like safety course and the do's and dont's of bb gun usage will follow. He listens pretty well so i have no doubt that he will listen to me and treat the gun seriously. I will be watching him like a hawk until he prooves to me that he is safe and responsible with it. I remember being his age and getting my first BB gun, i knew how dangerous they could be and used caution and common sense everyday.. I did learn about bb ricochets the hard way though,whenever a bb slaps you upside your cheek you learn not to stand so close to your target, lol

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-29-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #27

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
My son turns 9 in april, the wife and i have decided that we are going to buy him his first BB gun. Then an adult like safety course and the do's and dont's of bb gun usage will follow. He listens pretty well so i have no doubt that he will listen to me and treat the gun seriously. I will be watching him like a hawk until he prooves to me that he is safe and responsible with it. I remember being his age and getting my first BB gun, i knew how dangerous they could be and used caution and common sense everyday.. I did learn about bb ricochets the hard way though,whenever a bb slaps you upside your cheek you learn not to stand so close to your target, lol
Gettin hit between the toes w a red rider shootin rats while wearn sandals kinda puts you off a bb gun for awhile i must admit

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #28

I took her to the range again yesterday and even though she didnt want to shoot she had fun what makes me even more happy is when we got back to my place i went on the computer to check my email and as always she took over but she was looking up pink guns she has now told me she wants a pink tourus .22 pistol and in my head i was like yes! I want her to get it and i want her to get a more powerful gun for protection as she is so small 4ft 7inches and 75lbs but she is super pretty and that makes me worry cause in my mind that makes her an easy target. I already got her mase spray. I want to get her a good taser too as she is only 18 goin on 19.