How young is too young? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How young is too young?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you just complimented me or insulted me.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #12

Liked 2030 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Your kids have not been born yet, right? You have 6 or 7 years to warm her up to the idea. I don't remember exactly how old my son was when he started. Maybe 5 or 6? But he is 13 now. He shoots pretty much all of my guns. And he can give me a run for my money on acuracy.

Just ease your lady into it slowly. Let her shoot a 22 rifle like someone else suggested. If you get her into it...the kids will naturally join in later. But, dont pester her about it. Don't be a nag. Women don't like that any more than guys do. Just invite her come when you go. But be cool about it. When she does decide to go don't give her a high powered gun for her first experience. Less is more!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11541

We (Mom and Dad both) started from day one with firearms safety. For the first few years it was basically the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. Then at about 5 or 6 I printed out the 10 Rules of Firearm Safety and gave it to them, telling them that when they could recite the rules they would be considered eligible to begin shooting "real guns". Prior to that they had their BB guns and cap guns, etc. and were expected to treat them just like "real guns". Exactly like "real guns". The were told that any breach of firearm safety with their "toys" would mean that they would have to wait longer to move up to the real ones.

I would also periodically run a test on them where I would place an unloaded gun somewhere in the house and monitor it one way or another. Without fail they would run and get me or mom when they saw it. They never once would touch it. If they had, they would have been told what they did wrong and not to do it again, and then tested again in a few months or a year or so.

They started handling real guns when they were ready. Every person is different. For my kids that was 6 or 7 years old. Today at 14 and 16 they fire everything that we have, except for the .454 Casull (their choice). The rule still stands that if they have a safety failure the guns will be taken away, if it is serious enough they will not be allowed to shoot until they are 18 and I have no further control over it. I don't have to remind them of this because it has been so deeply engrained in them.

So, in a nutshell it is something my wife and I worked out together when the kids were born. You are wise to be working it out now. Oh, and absolutely introduce your wife to the sport! It will make things much easier in the long run if she has a working knowledge of firearms.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #14

Thabks so much for all the imput and i have taken her a couple of times and its kinda funny shell shoot my .22 but if im shootin it ill do you wanna shoot it and shell say its ok so ill do another clip and hand it to her and help her with safty instructions and such then i darn near cant get her to give it back to me cause shes havin fun with it then later in the truck ill ask if she had fun and shell say eehh its alright. Im so confused. Im all for seeing how mature the kids are first. And i started with a bb gun at 8 so if my kids are young like that ill problly get a bb gun for them and train them fire arm safety. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #15

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I got my first first .22 rifle in 1st grade, got my 10/22 in 2nd grade. Got my first handgun in 5th grade, and a .357 in 6th.
I got my first centerfire rifle in 5th grade too.

But I had a very strict dad (who was a collector/dealer), who didn't allow me to do the junk other kids did.

He told me on my first .22...........if you want a gun you HAVE to be different, can't act like the other kids....."You get a gun and you're not a kid anymore."

He gave me the choice, which I accepted, with no "turning back".

I don't see what the big deal was, even as a kid I remember it being apretty dayam logical thing, a simple Yes or No and go from there.

There were rules, ABSOLUTES..............things NOT open to any interpretation. Pretty easy to understand IMHO.

Different time, hell maybe different planet, considering what I see nowadays.

I see too many adults that shouldn't have guns

Last edited by Hookeye; 01-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #16

I have to agree i have also seen way to many people with guns that are either not trained properly and some that just shouldnt touch them period.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think that's exactly the point. She grew up with a house full of guns and used to come to the range with me on weekends when she couldn't see over the firing line guard rail. It seemed logical that educating her the right way from the start made more sense than having her be a curious child (which can lead to problems around guns) plus it turned out to be a great father/daughter thing. She took to reloading around 16 or so but once she mastered the fundamentals and understood what was going on it was something she did with me just so we would have some quality time together more than something she wanted to do. In any case, I'm confident my 27 year old can grab almost any weapon and know how to handle it, clear it and most importantly, hit what she's aiming at. The last time we had lunch she had her 3" Kimber 45 with some practical add-ons in her purse and a Sig in her glove compartment. She has no problem visiting me at my shop and if I've got a 1911 barrel that's waiting to be fitted, and I'm backed up, she finds an empty bench and gets it tight,locked and polished without breaking a sweat. It's almost second nature. Honestly, I'm happy she became a psychologist but if I hired her as a smith, she could run circles around some of the guys that have been here a while and I could leave her to run the shop and go fishing.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Bell- earlier post was compliment. I never insult folks on a forum.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

My boys had BB guns at 5 and 7. They got there 1st .22's at 7 and 10. My 15 year old got a custom 6.5x55 built on a 1942 receiver for Christmas 2010, at 14. I really depends on the kid, but the earlier the better. I started at 5 w/ BB guns, moved up to .22 pellet rifles and then .22's at age 10. I started shooting NRA compitition at 11 w/ pellet and at 12 moved to .22's.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The way I see it there are two levels to teaching kids about guns. One that should be taught as early as possible. The other, when the kid indicates that they are ready for it.

I taught my sons about guns at a very early age. Not how to use one, but what they were, and what they could do if misused. I taught them that a gun was something that could hurt them or someone else, badly. I taught them if they ever saw an unattended gun anywhere, they should leave it alone and tell an adult. Too many cases you see where the cops are chasing a bad guy and he tosses his gun in the weeds, only to be found later by a curious kid. I also taught them that if they were ever at a friends house and they see a gun, or someone with a gun, get away from them as quickly as possible. All too often kids fall victim to someone else's stupidity.

As to actually teaching them how to use and handle guns, that didn't happen until they let me know they were ready......"Dad, can you take me to the range with you some time?". Even then, best to go easy. The first time I took my youngest son to the range, he was scared out of his mind. All the noise and guns intimidated the hell out of him. So I let it be. A couple of years later, he brought the subject up again. This time he took it in stride. He learned quick and can now outshoot the old man more often than not.