Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   How young is too young? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-young-too-young-56483/)

redteck215 01-28-2012 09:33 AM

How young is too young?

Well me and my girlfriend have gotten really serious and have talked about our future and the possability of kids some day. I personally want my kids to start shooting young but she wasnt raised around guns so shes only heard what the public schools and the news has said about them which we all know were they stand. I told her how serious and how big of a part guns play in my life abd that it would all depend on how mature i believe they are. She thinks 13 is too young even with supervision. I want my kids shootin at 7-8. Ive for the most part got her to understand that it is truelly the vad people that make guns look bad and shes starting to see that and how safe i am with them. What are your thoughts?

winds-of-change 01-28-2012 10:12 AM

It depends on the child. Some are more mature and responsible than others at any given age. I have a 5 year old granddaughter and I think I will be getting her a pink Cricket when she's about 7 or so.

Have you taken your wife shooting? I was very anti-gun most of my life. It wasn't until I shot a gun and had so much fun trying to 'beat my best' that I realized how wrong I had been about guns. :o

Sonic82 01-28-2012 11:33 AM

Don't sweat it and don't push it. You've got plenty of time and let it come naturally...don't bring it up too much, she may begin to think it's an obsession..you wouldn't want her to know that :D

...just like some may go golfing or bowling once a month...you go to the range...don't make a big deal out of it and she'll get used to it. And letting a supervised child of 8 yrs old become familiar with a .22 isn't a problem in my mind.

c3shooter 01-28-2012 12:36 PM

Well, if you had been here for a bit longer, you would have seen me post photos of the Anarchist-in-Training. She has been my shooting partner for a bit over 5 years now. Grandaughter. She is now 15.

It varies from kid to kid. Some are not old enough at 27.

May I humbly suggest that you gradually, gently introduce your significinat other to shooting herself?

A few years back, one of my Daughters-in-law called, and asked- would I take her teenaged son to the range- AND TEACH HIM HOW TO HANDLE A FIREARM SAFELY? Food for thought there.

Minionsram 01-28-2012 12:58 PM

My grandfather had started taking me out shooting and hunting when I was around 6, but that was me. When its time ask the youngn' if they would like to hit the range or not, dont force it. And if they do be sure to do as C3 said, teach fire arm safety.

TekGreg 01-28-2012 01:18 PM

Redteck215, it's always a problem when a couple is diametrically opposed regarding the same subject. It sounds like your wife is willing to accept that the media has perverted the public view of shooting sports, so the next step should be to take her shooting with you, put a .22 rifle in her hand and let her start to enjoy the sport for herself! After the two of you have been shooting for 5-10 years, bringing your child with you will be a moot point.

Also, I used to bring my children to the shooting range even before they were old enough to shoot so they would be exposed to guns and we could talk about safety. At 5, my daughter decided she wanted to try shooting and after 15-20 minutes she was done. Because of her exposure from birth, she didn't have the "forbidden fruit" syndrome that draws kids to the things we hide and whisper about. Early exposure makes a much safer household because the kids just aren't interested in something they can use whenever they want, even if they need parental permission.

So think about involving the wife and I think this problem may fade away as she realizes the truth and accepts that it's safer to have kids involved as a family sport. :-)

ScottA 01-28-2012 02:35 PM

Take for example my two sets of nieces and nephews. My younger sister's kids, I wouldn't have had a problem sticking a gun in their hands at 7 or 8. On the other hand, I would not have felt comfortable sticking a gun in the hands of my older sister's kids until much later.

303tom 01-28-2012 03:04 PM

My boys were 5 & 6, but thats BB gun time............

Belltactical 01-28-2012 03:10 PM

Daughter shot youth length 22 at 10 and ran an AR at 13 and competing in High Power at 16. At 22 she used to hustle guys for money at the range. Was shooting a 22 Buckmark when they laid down the bet and then pulled her STI 45 out of her range bag. Way to make Daddy proud.

c3shooter 01-28-2012 04:12 PM

Bell- the Anarchist-in-Training does that- but only with grownups that are not bright enough to consider that the little girl is shooting a Mossberg 46B, and using a deliberate sling. :D