How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default The old school...maybe absolete, but still the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Good for you brother! I like a man with goals. Because of work I travel quite a bit too, actually there is a chance I might be living in London for a bit in the near future. I intend to have a meeting with a few of the ol' makers to understand how much blood my wife and I will have to donate (or how much my retirement will have to wait) for me to get a nice English double custom made, so I TOTALLY understand your stance.
I'm glad to hear that there's still somebody who respects the old way of doing/making things.I'm not that old, but I have to admit that the old-school way of doing things prevails on any other way:From building a rifle, to any kind of relationship; from professionality at work, to the sense of honor and respect.In other words, I'm glad to hear that the so called real getlemen aren't dead yet.Even if we're only talking about a rifle.
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
I'm glad to hear that there's still somebody who respects the old way of doing/making things.I'm not that old, but I have to admit that the old-school way of doing things prevails on any other way:From building a rifle, to any kind of relationship; from professionality at work, to the sense of honor and respect.In other words, I'm glad to hear that the so called real getlemen aren't dead yet.Even if we're only talking about a rifle.
Agreed! A few years back I bough an old Peruvian Mauser just because it was a beautiful gun. Not knowing much about them I started consulting with some friends that collected them and also a good friend from Peru who knew the history of the gun. I was surprised that everything matched except the bolt and when I asked my buddy about it he told me that the Peruvian Officers in the early 1900's would make the soldiers give them the bolt of the rifle every night to discourage folks from stealing the guns. Next day they would just hand out the bolts back to the troops with no attention to serial numbers.

I found it AMAZING that these rifles that were made by hand on lathes powered by horsehide belts and assembled one at a time were of such high quality that you could mix and match bolts without any headspace issues. Try that with a batch of Remingtons or Winchesters today.

THAT is what attention to detail and pride of workmanship is like. I later sold the rifle to a collector who valued it highly. While I appreciated it, it was just too good a specimen (and apparently an unaltered Peruvian is highly desirable) to just be sitting in the hands of a casual collector. I wanted the gun to have a proper home with someone that would appreciate it fully.
__________________
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth

Really?I found it almost as soon as I bought the rifle...I beg your pardon..But where do you live(I'm not sarcastic, just curious and maybe I can help you with the ammo shortage)?
Central Indiana. ONE gun shop had a few boxes but were bought up by a buddy of mine. There where 80-100rds. Only 8mm mauser I've EVER seen....
__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

I would buy one if it looked like JP's with a scope mounted on top

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Here you gor where to buy the 8mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Central Indiana. ONE gun shop had a few boxes but were bought up by a buddy of mine. There where 80-100rds. Only 8mm mauser I've EVER seen....
I'm sorry for the late response, but I had to talk to a friend of mine abut the info...

Option number one:
1)http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=42&name=8mm
2)Option number two(Almost directly from the source- prvi partizan)
http://www.prvipartizan.com/dealers.php
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,014
Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I would buy one if it looked like JP's with a scope mounted on top
I could give you the name and number of a guy a few miles from me. An original rifle, complete will cost $8000.00 and up, depending on rarity. That would include correct scope and mounts ready to go. I've seen Rifles like mine, although correct, not all original go for close to $5000.00.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ricepaddydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rural North Florida
Posts: 70
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

I have more guns now than i know what to do with. One of them is a scrubbed Yugoslavian K98k. Sweet piece of weaponry.
And I also have a soft spot for abandoned dogs, the Chicago Cubs, old derelict rifles, and other losers, so I recently traded a Universal M1 Carbine for a Danzig 1917 Gew98 that had long ago been "sporterized". Most likely by the GI who brought it back from WWII. I say WWII and not WWI because the shorter-than-a-Gew98 barrel has a waffenampt WaA665 on it.
Most likely a refurb for the Volksturm.

__________________

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

ricepaddydaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Model 98-Yufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddydaddy View Post
I have more guns now than i know what to do with. One of them is a scrubbed Yugoslavian K98k. Sweet piece of weaponry.
And I also have a soft spot for abandoned dogs, the Chicago Cubs, old derelict rifles, and other losers, so I recently traded a Universal M1 Carbine for a Danzig 1917 Gew98 that had long ago been "sporterized". Most likely by the GI who brought it back from WWII. I say WWII and not WWI because the shorter-than-a-Gew98 barrel has a waffenampt WaA665 on it.
Most likely a refurb for the Volksturm.
I completely agree with you.I own one.Well, the proper name is not "Yugoslavian K98k", but Model 98/48(If refurbished in the early '50) or Model 98(If it was refurbished earlier)-"Puška Model 98".Many say that these rifles are not as good as the original Mauser K98k...I think you'll agree with me when I say "Shoot first, judge later".The yugoslavian people (former or not) are well known for three things:The quality of their weapons, their marksmanship and their brutality on the battlefield.They would never use a weapon like that, if it would not perform well(Somebody would say "They refurbished it because Yugoslavia had no money for something better after the war!"- true...but...then tell me why the Model 98 was still one of the snipers' prefered weapons during the yugo wars during '90(when many other weapons were available...like the M48 and the M76)?!
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
ricepaddydaddy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ricepaddydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rural North Florida
Posts: 70
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

My Yugoslavian was a product of shop VR69, which I am told did good work.
It still has a waffenampt or two that they missed, and the left side of the reciever is marked Mod98 in German type script, in the same place my Gew98 is marked..
I am not a collector, and my knowledge of Mausers is fairly limited. I just enjoy owning and shooting military surplus rifles.
I am more familiar with American weapons.
If you can tell me more about my rifle, please do.
I am at that stage in life where I know enough to know I don't know enough.

__________________

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

ricepaddydaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default It would be a please to tell you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddydaddy View Post
My Yugoslavian was a product of shop VR69, which I am told did good work.
It still has a waffenampt or two that they missed, and the left side of the reciever is marked Mod98 in German type script, in the same place my Gew98 is marked..
I am not a collector, and my knowledge of Mausers is fairly limited. I just enjoy owning and shooting military surplus rifles.
I am more familiar with American weapons.
If you can tell me more about my rifle, please do.
I am at that stage in life where I know enough to know I don't know enough.
It would be a pleasure to tell you more about your rifle, but I need to see a picture of it first.Several modification have been made to these rifles even when they were still in Nazi hands-Maybe I cannot tell you exactly where it was made(especially if there's no matching part), but I can tell you when it has been made and probably where and when it was refurbished. .
__________________

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 04-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series theeuropeangoth General Rifle Discussion 7 04-04-2013 12:23 AM
Can one brand of ammo be inaccurate compared to another brand? SubZero General Rifle Discussion 17 11-05-2012 11:11 AM
AR-15 brand new, how to? xdm11chad AR-15 Discussion 9 10-18-2011 11:04 PM
New brand to me??? curly45 General Handgun Discussion 1 01-08-2011 12:40 AM