How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default I partially agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
No a new Mauser '98 would not appeal to me. As a sporting or defensive rifle it is long obsolete. The war-vet Mausers have the history to support their value, other than that, they would be nearly valueless to me. Mitchell's has been doing what you suggest for years, you can still buy a "new" Mauser from them, but don't try to sell it as a collectible later.

Mosin-Nagant collectors are seeing something similar to what you suggest with the MOLOT imports that are now flooding into the country. The serious collectors turn their heads and spit when the name is mentioned. The uninformed are snapping them up like there is no tomorrow, but they will be disappointed in the long run.
Well...I understand what you mean, but I agree only partially.
1)The rifle action/mechanism is obsolete.FALSE!:
I personally own a Mauser K98, made in 1943 in Obendorf-original chambering, 8mm Mauser.I've hit 5 times a 40x40 dong at 1100 yards(Obviously, I used modern optics).And I'm not the best shooter in the world.Sure, it the 98 design can be still improved, but it can be still compare to the most modern designs.It is has the perfect design, suitable to all-from the experienced shooter to the beginner
2)Not for defensive and sporting shooting
In facts, Mauser rifles are built to last.For sporting, hunting, long-range target shooting they're extremerly reliable, simple and accurate.Unfortunately, I have to admit the the rifle is not good for defensive pourposes.
3)Mitchell's mausers:The ****ty ones
I hate Mitchell's Mausers company.I don't like what they're doing at all and I would never buy a single rifle from them.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1281 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
I don't believe Mauser still exists as a company.
Sure it does it`s SIG................SIG Sauer GmbH

When all else fails.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #13

Default You're not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
No, because I have one. A post war, brand new, unfired commercial Mauser K-98. Imagine the finest K-98 being taken off the assembly line and handed to you, still warm.
I'm the proud owner of a Mauser k98, manufactured in 1943 in Obendorf.I know what you're talking about.
But....even if my kar 98k is one of my favorites, I prefer not to shoot it often because of its historical value.So I need a replacement.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Default ....completely agree with you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The problem with the older rifles like the K98 is the cost. As pointed out you can buy a new Mauser or Winchester Model 70 classic, but you will pay for it. Those old rifles are famous for their quality, but that quality requires that more skilled people spend more time making the rifle. That in turn requires that the companies making those rifles charge more.

Americans decided to go with quantity over quality a long time ago, and that applies to guns as well. Of course that isn't all bad. A lot of people that would have never been able to afford a good rifle way back when can afford a rifle today because they are cheaper to manufacture. And the new rifles do work, but all you have to do is pick up one of those older rifles to realize our standard guns now aren't even in the same category as far as quality goes.
This is the truth.Especially for the Mauser, the 98 series.
The new actions/rifle can be faster, cheaper to produce, easier to produce.But not better.Not so reliable.Not so prooven.Not so "universaly suitable".Not so intuitive.Not so idiot-proof.

I've met and talked to many veterans(several generations of soldiers), paying particultar attention to what snipers and markman have to say.Some said "I don't love it, but I damn respect it"; some other said "Only a Mauser can be compared to another Mauser - no other rifle can be compared to it"..."When I was in Vietnam, I didn't know that my model 70 was in fact a Mauser derivative....Now I know why the hell it was so well-made" etc

Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Ok...I hate you because of this rifle:P i'M Planning to get one as soon as possible!!!
It was my 49th Birthday gift from my wife. Needless to say I'll never get rid of either the gun or the wife. It is a wonderful, functional work of art and needless to say it gets everyone's attention at the range. When it arrived at the GM I used for the FFL just about the whole store came over to the gun counter to see it.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Well...I understand what you mean, but I agree only partially.
1)The rifle action/mechanism is obsolete.FALSE!:
I personally own a Mauser K98, made in 1943 in Obendorf-original chambering, 8mm Mauser.I've hit 5 times a 40x40 dong at 1100 yards(Obviously, I used modern optics).And I'm not the best shooter in the world.Sure, it the 98 design can be still improved, but it can be still compare to the most modern designs.It is has the perfect design, suitable to all-from the experienced shooter to the beginner
2)Not for defensive and sporting shooting
In facts, Mauser rifles are built to last.For sporting, hunting, long-range target shooting they're extremerly reliable, simple and accurate.Unfortunately, I have to admit the the rifle is not good for defensive pourposes.
3)Mitchell's mausers:The ****ty ones
I hate Mitchell's Mausers company.I don't like what they're doing at all and I would never buy a single rifle from them.
I Agree on all points. OBSoLETE!!!!???? The Mauser 98 Action is so good that we are still making rifles on variations of it. Besides Mauser, the pre-64 AND the new Classic Winchesters, Kimbers, Montana Rifles, the Ruger 77, CZ's, Zastavas and others are just copies or slight variations of the same action Mauser invented well over 100 years ago.

Not for defensive and sporting purposes?!? Why don't we ask that question to the PHs in Africa that STILL almost unanimously use Mausers and CZ's agains the most dangerous game animals in the world! Saying the Mauser is outdated is like saying the 1911 is an old design that has outlived it's purpose.

Last edited by Wambli; 04-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #17

Default Ok...stop it...:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
It was my 49th Birthday gift from my wife. Needless to say I'll never get rid of either the gun or the wife. It is a wonderful, functional work of art and needless to say it gets everyone's attention at the range. When it arrived at the GM I used for the FFL just about the whole store came over to the gun counter to see it.
I don't know whay but I have the impression that your rifle is going to be stolen...I don't know WHEN it will happen, WHERE it will happen or WHO will do it...but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what is going to happen...
BTW:Would you be so kind to tell me exactly WHEN you'll be not at home, WHERE do you live and HOW may I get into you house???...I mean, hypotetically...XD

Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I don't know whay but I have the impression that your rifle is going to be stolen...I don't know WHEN it will happen, WHERE it will happen or WHO will do it...but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what is going to happen...
BTW:Would you be so kind to tell me exactly WHEN you'll be not at home, WHERE do you live and HOW may I get into you house???...I mean, hypotetically...XD
Did I mention the alarm system and protection trained German Shepherd that stay at home when I walk out? The first one MIGHT be defeated, the second one has NO sense of humor when disturbed...

Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #19

Default ....i would still not give up...I mean...hypothetically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Did I mention the alarm system and protection trained German Shepherd that stay at home when I walk out? The first one MIGHT be defeated, the second one has NO sense of humor when disturbed...
No, you didn't- and it wasn't nice from you at all.Anyway...let's focus on the time you're out.Why doesn't your dog come with you?The dog is not only a pet, it is a very important family member and must be not left alone.You should spend more time with your dog.The next time you go out, you should bring your dog with you.And...you know what?You don't even need to engage/turn on the alarm system:As a good man, I can keep an eye on your stuff.
Btw:Where do you keep you rifle?I HAVE TO KNOW IT....HM...FOR SECURITY PURPOSES XD

Old 04-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
No, you didn't- and it wasn't nice from you at all.Anyway...let's focus on the time you're out.Why doesn't your dog come with you?The dog is not only a pet, it is a very important family member and must be not left alone.You should spend more time with your dog.The next time you go out, you should bring your dog with you.And...you know what?You don't even need to engage/turn on the alarm system:As a good man, I can keep an eye on your stuff.
Btw:Where do you keep you rifle?I HAVE TO KNOW IT....HM...FOR SECURITY PURPOSES XD
Sorry he likes staying home. He's just not that sociable...