How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default How many of you would buy a BRAND NEW Mauser Kar 98k

No, I didn't write it wrong.And I'm not talking about the Mauser M98.
Just imagine the following scenario:
Mauser just decided to start again the production of the leggendary rifle:The Kar 98k.
Let's say (for example) that the new rifle is available in two modes:

A)98k Classic:Almost the exact copy of the original design (1935).Barrel and trigger mechanism would be upgraded.

B)98k M:A moderized version of the leggendary rifle.
The upgrades would be the following
-Polymer forniture
-Capable of accepting detachable magazines
-Integrated scope mounts
-Bipod present by default
-Recoil absorbing recoil pad(on the buttstock)
-Upgraded and configurable trigger mechanism(Actually, it already exists)
-Upgraded barrel
-If iron sights are preferred:Similar design to the original one, but upgraded(Materials and)
Chambering/ammo:8mm Mauser, 7,62x51 NATO + Lapua Magnum Variants
Other:I'm sure that I forgot something

Would you buy it?If yes,What price would be acceptable for you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where do i order one. I love my k98k. Sign me up!!!

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Liked 2199 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Winchester model 70 was pretty much a updated 98.

Good design is good design. If they were made at a competativeive price point with Remington, Tikka, Savage, FN etc. they would sell.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I don't believe Mauser still exists as a company. But as a hypothetical scenario yes I would be interested.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

No, because I have one. A post war, brand new, unfired commercial Mauser K-98. Imagine the finest K-98 being taken off the assembly line and handed to you, still warm.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

No a new Mauser '98 would not appeal to me. As a sporting or defensive rifle it is long obsolete. The war-vet Mausers have the history to support their value, other than that, they would be nearly valueless to me. Mitchell's has been doing what you suggest for years, you can still buy a "new" Mauser from them, but don't try to sell it as a collectible later.

Mosin-Nagant collectors are seeing something similar to what you suggest with the MOLOT imports that are now flooding into the country. The serious collectors turn their heads and spit when the name is mentioned. The uninformed are snapping them up like there is no tomorrow, but they will be disappointed in the long run.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
I don't believe Mauser still exists as a company. But as a hypothetical scenario yes I would be interested.
The German gun maker Mauser is alive and doing very well and still making the worlds finest high end sporting rifles. I own a magnum length square bridge Mauser 98 in .375 H&H. To get a new production Magnum 98 is about a one year wait and the price tag is in the 5 figures and grows FAST depending on options so I don't think they have the time or desire to start making military rifles anymore.

Here you can download their 2012 brochure, Worth to look at you will see some absolutely magnificent rifles:
http://www.mauserusa.net/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Englisch/Mauser_M03_M98_Cat_07_en.pdf

Here are a few pictures of my gun. The pictures do not do the rifle justice. The workmanship and engraving are flawless:

Quality commercial Mauser 98 style actions can be had from other European manufacturers like Zastava and CZ.

Last edited by Wambli; 04-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.
ricepaddydaddy Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
The German gun maker Mauser is alive and doing very well and still making the worlds finest high end sporting rifles. I own a magnum length square bridge Mauser 98 in .375 H&H. To get a new production Magnum 98 is about a one year wait and the price tag is in the 5 figures and grows FAST depending on options so I don't think they have the time or desire to start making military rifles anymore.

Here you can download their 2012 brochure, Worth to look at you will see some absolutely magnificent rifles:
http://www.mauserusa.net/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Englisch/Mauser_M03_M98_Cat_07_en.pdf

Here are a few pictures of my gun. The pictures do not do the rifle justice. The workmanship and engraving are flawless:

Quality commercial Mauser 98 style actions can be had from other European manufacturers like Zastava and CZ.
Ok...I hate you because of this rifle:P i'M Planning to get one as soon as possible!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 2509

The problem with the older rifles like the K98 is the cost. As pointed out you can buy a new Mauser or Winchester Model 70 classic, but you will pay for it. Those old rifles are famous for their quality, but that quality requires that more skilled people spend more time making the rifle. That in turn requires that the companies making those rifles charge more.

Americans decided to go with quantity over quality a long time ago, and that applies to guns as well. Of course that isn't all bad. A lot of people that would have never been able to afford a good rifle way back when can afford a rifle today because they are cheaper to manufacture. And the new rifles do work, but all you have to do is pick up one of those older rifles to realize our standard guns now aren't even in the same category as far as quality goes.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A guy picked one up at the LGS a week or so ago. It was a thing of beauty.