Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   how do i know? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-do-i-know-53581/)

94browninghunt 12-14-2011 04:11 PM

how do i know?

How do i know when the barrel is too hot to shoot out of? I've never had an issue since i usually wait 15-20 seconds between each shot, but how hot is too hot to shoot?

Axxe55 12-14-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94browninghunt (Post 651721)
How do i know when the barrel is too hot to shoot out of? I've never had an issue since i usually wait 15-20 seconds between each shot, but how hot is too hot to shoot?

my rule of thumb is can you grab a hold of the barrel and hold it? if not, let it cool down. i know this isn't very technical way of putting it, but it's the way i was taught. if others have a better way i'd be interested too.

trip286 12-14-2011 05:03 PM

Some benchrest shooters wait until the barrel returns to ambient air temp after every shot.

I used to carry a SAW, so I'm not anal about cool barrels. The last time I shot my mosin, I made the wood smoke. But I wouldn't treat my grandfather's model 70 that way.

Axxe55 12-14-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 651760)
Some benchrest shooters wait until the barrel returns to ambient air temp after every shot.

I used to carry a SAW, so I'm not anal about cool barrels. The last time I shot my mosin, I made the wood smoke. But I wouldn't treat my grandfather's model 70 that way.

made the wood smoke! slow down there trip! i did burn my finger on my AR once, not realizing how hot that barrel was!:eek::D

hiwall 12-14-2011 05:07 PM

If your gun is in the sun very long out here it is always to hot to touch. My rule is if the barrel starts to droop then stop shooting.

Sniper03 12-14-2011 05:22 PM

That is a good question. As stated if you put your hand or finger on the barrel and you do not want to leave it there then it is too hot!
The main thing is you are literally reducing the life of your weapon if you allow it to get that hot and continue. The issue is called excessive heat in the chamber for prolonged time increases the Throat Erosion of the weapon particularly in ARs and Semi-Auto Rifles. I am very careful with my prized rifles and will not allow them to continue to be hot for long periods of time. Allowing them brief periods to cool is a good policy for someone who cares about their weapons. I realize there is also a difference between a $450.00 AK style weapon you are having fun with and burning ammunition compared to a $1200 AR Rifle decked out. Not to offend anyone here on the Forum but it is also for that reason that I will never shoot steel cased varnished bullets in any of my quality rifles. It usually will function fine in the AK style weapon due to their tolerances are considerable more open compared to a good quality AR. Moral of the story! Let your weapon cool periodically between drills or even changing locations or yard lines. Heat is the enemy of chamber and bore life!

therewolf 12-14-2011 05:30 PM

If it's glowing red, I don't worry about it too much.

If it's white hot, I know my barrel and my ammo supply

are both in big trouble...:D

Actually, IMHO, Sniper03 is right.

I'm trying a new cleaning paradigm of bore butter or

Dexron III in my range guns after a few shots, it will also

cool them down, as well as break free hard deposits ...

skeniger2002 12-17-2011 01:46 AM

Got to watch excessive coolings to.

partdeux 12-17-2011 02:37 AM

what a 1,000+ rounds as fast as you can possibly pump them through the gun?
Bersa test fire video