How to clean guns on limited supply of cleaning supplies - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How to clean guns on limited supply of cleaning supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom
A little opossum grease on that AR every so often & you should be fine.........
A little opossum grease in my belly keeps me going too!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
A little opossum grease in my belly keeps me going too!
A little opossum grease is good for what ever is ailing ya..........

When all else fails.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Something I have used and it works.. is diesel fuel and a bit of oil off a dipstick. Gasoline would probably work but the smell would be nasty and toxic.. Never tried this with an AR but it does work with the AKs.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #14

Hey all of these ideas are greatly appreciated. I realize there might be better more reliable guns out there. I just feel like the ar 15 is the most dynamic of them all. It feels like it would not only be able to get me food if I needed, but it would also allow me to snipe up to 300 yards and give me the greatest chance of winning in a shootout against cannibals.

It definitely scares me tp hear that ar's can't stand up well to harsh environments. I considered the ak but not only is the weapon heavier, the ammo is heavier too....lowering the amount of ammo/ supplies I can carry. Hopefully with a couple botttles of hoppes solvant and lube, I would be able to at least keep the ar running for long enough to get settled down in a safe area and live off the land. My primary souce of food would be foraging and trapping. I would avoid shootouts and hunting like the plague....only engage if absolutely necessary. Hopefully I would also be able to find some all natural shtf solvants and lubes. I've heard of the tranmission/motor oil combo before and that would be great. I'm not planning on being near any automobiles though.

I've considered the ruger single six hunter edition. It has a 7.5" barrel and can shoot 22lr or 22wmr which would be very dynamic and useful. Apperantyl it also comes in 9.5" barrel. Anybody have any opinions on the ruger? Single action revolver is so basic and has hardly any moving parts....that it seems like it would last forever it harsh conditions. However it woulnt do very well in a shootout, and that has been my main reason for a firearm during shtf.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #15

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If I had to pick one product and nothing else for my guns it would be WD-40,it has alot of cleaning properties like a solvent but it won't keep eating away at metal if you get it all in the internals of the gun,it also has alot of lubricating properties like gun oil.WD-40 isn't the best at one thing or the other but its a pretty good do it all for cleaning,lubricating and weatherguarding.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #16

Ninjatoth, thanks for the advice. Do you think the same is true for remoil? I noticed that it is advertised as a cleaner and lubricant. It seems like it would be a better all in one product than WD-40 since it is specifically designed for firearms.

Also, I used the all in one remoil on my handguns once, and it seemed to do a fairly poor job. My barrels had an orange residue left in them after I used the remoil. The orange residue didn't go away until I used hoppes solvant. I also don't really like using that strong solvant though because its so potent. I put it down my barrels and let it sit for 30mins (as was recommended by people on this forum).....and it seems like when I go to clean the solvant out of the barrel, that none comes out. Its like the solvant is drying inside my barrel? Or maybe just soaking in? That scares me because I know that solvants are supposed to be removed.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

I don't know a whole lot about rem oil all in one.I am cautious when I buy something that's way more expensive than it should be and marketed for one thing only,it all comes from the same source with slightly different additives.I have even used air compressor oil on guns with good success.Try some different oils and see what works best,some peopl even swear by motor oil as being better for their guns than gun oil.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #18

I just read about that you want a Ruger single six.I used to own the blued version with the 4.6" barrel and it was amazing,it's worth every penny,you could throw it against a tree and it wouldn't be affected or damaged at all.Very tough little gun and so simple to get it apart and clean.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves