How to break in a barrel properly? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How to break in a barrel properly?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Sniper03, my comment to clean from the muzzle was not an error. I agree 100% that damaging the lands and groves is bad. My reasoning for that statement is you have total control over the cleaning rod and brush/tip when starting at the muzzle and you can make sure that you don't damage anything. When starting at the chamber, you push the rod through but then you have to pull it back. You don't have any control over how it enters the barrel when pulling it back through because you're on the other end of the gun. You also have a better chance of damaging a land if you're pulling it back through with an adapter attached to the cleaning rod for larger calibers. The corner of those adapters have a tendency to want to catch on the lands when pulling it back though.

That's why I think it is best to clean from the muzzle, but all that's just my opinion.
I use one-piece cleaning rods that cover a specific range of bore diameters. If you use on of those "one size fits all" cleaning kits, then you'll have to deal with those adapters that enable you to use the same rod for different diameters. You're right, the adapters can cause major damage.

I would recommend that you invest in one-piece rods and clean the bore from the breech end.
__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
I use one-piece cleaning rods that cover a specific range of bore diameters. If you use on of those "one size fits all" cleaning kits, then you'll have to deal with those adapters that enable you to use the same rod for different diameters. You're right, the adapters can cause major damage.

I would recommend that you invest in one-piece rods and clean the bore from the breech end.
Thats the way i was taught. Also taught to remove the adapters after they clear the muzzle. The Corps also taught us the same way.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,025
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

This is getting to be a bit over the top. Aren't we talking about personal preference as far as whether or not to break in a barrel and how to do it? When did it become a matter of nation security? When did people's honor start getting questioned?

__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
This is getting to be a bit over the top. Aren't we talking about personal preference as far as whether or not to break in a barrel and how to do it? When did it become a matter of nation security? When did people's honor start getting questioned?
Hey does any body use copenhagen snuff to heal a bite from a zombie sparrow lmao, sorry guys had to bring some light to this thread
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Hey does any body use copenhagen snuff to heal a bite from a zombie sparrow lmao, sorry guys had to bring some light to this thread
Same way you use bull durham to heal snakebites
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Same way you use bull durham to heal snakebites
Thats funny right there
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Despite your claim, you have never written a concise sentence that answered my initial question. Yes, I think I do know what you mean but I would really like to see it spelled out word for word.
I'm not playing your dishonest troll game anymore. I'm satisfied with expert testimony; you're not and you never will be. Which is your problem not mine... anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Firing a bullet through the barrel will remove metal. I don’t believe I have ever indicated otherwise.
Yes, you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
If it is strong enough to remove metal in the first 25-50 rounds the barrel life would be crap.
...
nothing is changed in the barrel bore during break-in
Reminds me of...
Quote:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arther Schopenhauer
You epitomize that statement.

Of course you have never been consistent in any of your statements from the start, I assume so you can claim it means something else entirely, (like you will tomorrow...) Which produces confusion much like your out of context quotes, but instead you add an all encompassing context to cover all bases.
Dishonest debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Let’s consider your 20 round break-in while looking at the Krieger site

This is the complete paragraph so there is nothing taken out of context.
Of course it is out of context, you did the exact same thing as last time.
My responce last time...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
[quoting Krieger] “So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat “polished” without allowing copper to build up in the bore.”
Which part of the first line did you not get? Krieger Barrel: BREAK-IN & CLEANING:
Quote:
With any premium barrel that has been finish lapped -- such as your Krieger Barrel --,
We've gone over this twice now. Lapped barrels are already broken-in, evidently the throat needs attention in the Krieger barrel.

Is it your intention to take these passages out of context, as a concerted effort to get me to call your honor into question; therefore causing me to violate the TOS for being "abusive?"
Because it isn't helping your argument whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Ok, why don’t we look at Shilen since you used them as an “answer” in this post

I responded by quoting this line from their site

They don’t think it is required so they came up with a placebo.
Yes, as per last time...
Quote:
...By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning...
You obviously don't understand the concept of "furthering your argument."
Repeating your already previously addressed argument doesn't "further your argument." I can only conclude your refusal to move forward as your inability to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
You have said lapped barrels need no break-in and I agree. Why did you choose to quote and bold this statement in your post
“This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.”
Because it proves my point with expert testimony. That you are unable to comprehend this, is your burden to bear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
If in fact a new barrel doesn’t need break-in ... it wouldn’t get a break-in procedure. I point out the these discrepancies because I think it calls into question the validity of using them as a source.
Your inability to comprehend the obvious isn't cute anymore. As per the Shilen site...
Quote:
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one.
They openly state it isn't needed then offer reasoning behind the inclusion of the procedure, (flat-earthers demand it;) therefore, there are no "discrepancies." You just don't like that all the experts disagree with you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Oh yeah, this did get a chuckle of of me

Mr Kettle meet Mr Black.
I knew you would scoff at providing proof to your statements; precisely what a dishonest person does.


You wrote all that, and the only furthering of your argument was to call Shilen a liar. The preponderance of words alone, is not an argument. I'm assuming it is to create an illusion of fighting the good fight to those that don't know better. You go girl!
__________________
...nuff said.

Last edited by The_Kid; 12-01-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: disable smilies
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid
I'm not playing your dishonest troll game anymore. I'm satisfied with expert testimony; you're not and you never will be. Which is your problem not mine... anymore.

Yes, you have.

Reminds me of...

You epitomize that statement.

Of course you have never been consistent in any of your statements from the start, I assume so you can claim it means something else entirely, (like you will tomorrow...) Which produces confusion much like your out of context quotes, but instead you add an all encompassing context to cover all bases.
Dishonest debate.

Of course it is out of context, you did the exact same thing as last time.
My responce last time...

Yes, as per last time...

You obviously don't understand the concept of "furthering your argument."
Repeating your already previously addressed argument doesn't "further your argument." I can only conclude your refusal to move forward as your inability to do so.

Because it proves my point with expert testimony. That you are unable to comprehend this, is your burden to bear.

Your inability to comprehend the obvious isn't cute anymore. As per the Shilen site...

They openly state it isn't needed then offer reasoning behind the inclusion of the procedure, (flat-earthers demand it therefore, there are no "discrepancies." You just don't like that all the experts disagree with you.

I knew you would scoff at providing proof to your statements; precisely what a dishonest person does.

You wrote all that, and the only furthering of your argument was to call Shilen a liar. The preponderance of words alone, is not an argument. I'm assuming it is to create an illusion of fighting the good fight to those that don't know better. You go girl!
Wheeeeeewwwwww u 2 need to be put in time out
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,025
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Hey does any body use copenhagen snuff to heal a bite from a zombie sparrow lmao, sorry guys had to bring some light to this thread
You mean just a pinch between your cheek and gum will settle this issue once and for all? Where do I get some?
__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

You mean just a pinch between your cheek and gum will settle this issue once and for all? Where do I get some?
Go to the store get a can then go piss off a spider let it bite ya an place the copenhagen on the bite.all will be better even them never ending threads will go away lol
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
proper barrel break in t-rav AR-15 Discussion 2 06-04-2011 10:43 PM
break in a barrel MrBombastic Competition Shooting 20 03-14-2011 02:59 AM
Barrel break in??? dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 9 07-03-2008 03:07 AM
Rifle Barrel Break-In jrmoore7138 The Club House 7 03-03-2008 01:12 AM
New Barrel Break-In...Question Loco40 AR-15 Discussion 3 02-28-2008 03:21 PM