Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How to break in a barrel properly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
Well for some, like this....

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

But for others, something like this...

Break-In & Cleaning
That first one needs to have his ass stomped and then be given a slingshot for doing that to a rifle!!!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #12

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinman

that first one needs to have his ass stomped and then be given a slingshot for doing that to a rifle!!!!!
yes he does

Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

After the ass whuppin' he needs a hard kick to the groin. That is just the wrong way to try to get a laugh. As far as the barrel break-in thing goes, I think this debate will go on forever.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 11-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid
....A barrel break-in will reduce copper fouling. Each patch run through during the process is an indicator of whether it is working or not. If you don't see a reduction in the amount of copper on the patches as you go, you are either doing it wrong, or your barrel had already been lapped.
Explain how cleaning between rounds will reduce longterm fouling.
It appears you are saying that the copper left during the first few rounds can never be removed unless it is removed immediately after the round is shot. NOTHING during the cleaning process will change the roughness in the bore, PERIOD. Only lapping or shooting will smooth the bore, removing the fouling immediately is a placebo. I will admit that it may be easier to get a clean patch after each round but that doesn't mean you can't completely remove the build up after 40-50 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Explain how cleaning between rounds will reduce longterm fouling.
It appears you are saying that the copper left during the first few rounds can never be removed unless it is removed immediately after the round is shot. NOTHING during the cleaning process will change the roughness in the bore, PERIOD. Only lapping or shooting will smooth the bore, removing the fouling immediately is a placebo. I will admit that it may be easier to get a clean patch after each round but that doesn't mean you can't completely remove the build up after 40-50 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
It would take too long to explain the process completely here. I have personally seen the improvement of the Krieder method even on pistol barrels.

Of course there are those that will argue the usefulness of any of this just because. Also please remember flat earthers abound.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207driver View Post
It would take too long to explain the process completely here.
I wasn't directing the question to you but I am very familiar with the Kreiger method, not sure what you are refering too

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 11-29-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: pointless

Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #17

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The way it was explained to me is that the inside of the barrel will not break-in or smooth out consistently if the rough metal edges are coated with copper fouling. The metal surface has rough edges in places and supposedly needs to be consistently clean to allow bullets making contact with it to smooth it evenly. I don't know if this information is completely accurate; it is just what I was told. I did not use a formal break-in method for my new match grade M1A and I feel good about putting rounds through it and keeping it clean. It keeps shooting pretty good.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Copper fouling can be removed at anytime with JB Bore cleaner and improve the accuracy of a rifle. That's why I included the part for used barrels, and it's something I highly recommend to all of the Mosin, Mauser, and Endfield fans out there (or any well used rifle). The cleaning with the brush, patch, and solvent between rounds on a new barrel removes some fouling but also debris such as slivers and metal particles that result from the bullet contacting burrs and tool marks during the previous shot. By "debris" I mean very small particles but stuff that you still don't want in your barrel when a new bullet is propelled down the barrel. The JB cleaning removes almost all copper fouling and allows for direct contact between the next bullet and the barrel (especially the start of the lands) rather than the bullet contacting the copper fouling that is there from the previous shots. I have to believe that is a good thing.

You can wait 50 rounds or a 1000 rounds to clean the fouling? You could also wait 50 or a 1000 rounds before you tighten your scope mounts, but why would you? You could also wait 50 or a 1000 rounds before removing any debris in you barrel, but again why would you?

This might not be an issue on hand lapped barrels? Those barrels should be free of tool marks and burrs from the manufacturing process? But how many new guns come with hand lapped barrels?

Now as for why you can never know if it makes a difference. You can take a rifle right of the box, shoot it normally, and it will either shoot good groups or not. You can't know if that break in process would have made a difference because you didn't do it. Similarly, you could go through all of that and it will still either shoot good groups or not. You can't know if it improved your accuracy any because you can't know how it shot without the break in process. It's a catch 22. However, I do know that it made a world of difference on a very used gun.

I'm also guessing that the man this information came from knows a lot more about accuracy than I could ever hope to. The day I bought my first can of JB to try on that old Enfield I told a local gunsmith (who I bought the JB from) about that article and what I intended to do. He went on to say that Kenny Jarret was over rated and that the whole thing was a bunch of B.S. A couple of hours later I had a 1944 Lee Enfield with factory ammo out shooting every gun at the range. I know for certain that his advice made a difference on that gun, and I truly believe that it made a difference on all my new guns as well.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #19

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker;/QUOTE

You can wait 50 rounds or a 1000 rounds to clean the fouling? You could also wait 50 or a 1000 rounds before you tighten your scope mounts, but why would you? You could also wait 50 or a 1000 rounds before removing any debris in you barrel, but again why would you?

This might not be an issue on hand lapped barrels? Those barrels should be free of tool marks and burrs from the manufacturing process? But how many new guns come with hand lapped barrels?
Are those rhetorical questions or should we just get back to you?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Are those rhetorical questions or should we just get back to you?
Yes.

Those questions were specifically for TCH2FLY's comment "removing the fouling immediately is a placebo", and it might be? But I think it's important to remove it immediately so that the bullet is contacting the barrel and not fouling, and the normal cleaning is important between shots to remove debris. I hope those rhetorical questions help drive home my point as to why one would clean between shots during the break in rather than not doing it or waiting to do it. Of course all of that is just my .02.