How to break in a barrel properly?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > How to break in a barrel properly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to break in a barrel properly?

whats the proper way to break you barrel in how many rounds should i shhot before cleaning it and so forth..any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i just do a thorough cleaning to get the shipping gunk out and go shoot. i dont follow any magic rituals

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

vito,

What make, model, and caliber is your rifle....that will help get a more specific answer.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Well for some, like this....

But for others, something like this...

Break-In & Cleaning

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I usually shoot 1rd & clean the first 10 shots,then shoot 3rds and clean for 5 sets.Always let the barrel cool between shots during a break in.If it's too hot to hold,it's too hot to shoot.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It might depend to a point on the firearm. Lever action,, clean lube and shoot it. High end bolt rifle I will follow kreigers breakend instrutions. Bargan rifle or used ,clean well lube and shot a bit and clean again and go from there.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I usually shoot 1rd & clean the first 10 shots,then shoot 3rds and clean for 5 sets.Always let the barrel cool between shots during a break in.If it's too hot to hold,it's too hot to shoot.
I think this is a good way to do it if you don't have the manufacturers' barrel break-in recommendations.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

Default My Process

There are a lot of opinions on breaking in a barrel and different opinions on whether or not it is even needed. I personally believe it is an important process for getting the most accuracy out of your gun. My breakin process is based on an interview with Kenny Jarret that I read many years ago. I believe the article was in Field and Stream but I haven’t been able to find it since. If anyone out there has the article please chime in. This is my current break in process, which originated with that article. I know it is not the “exact” process recommended by Jarret, but very close.

New Barrel Break in:

1. Clean the barrel with wire brush and solvent – always from the muzzle. Then clean with a wet patch and solvent. Finally clean with a dry patch. All ways finish cleaning with a dry patch and make sure the patch is spotless and dry (if patch is wet then get another clean dry patch and repeat).
2. Fire one shot and clean (repeat 3 times)
3. After 3rd shot wrap a patch around a brush (a well-used brush) and JB bore cleaner to the patch (use just enough to coat the patch). Run the rod thru the barrel three times. Remove the cloth and do normal cleaning (step 1).
4. Fire two shots and clean
5. Fire three shots and clean with JB bore cleaner again (Step 3)
6. Fire three shots and clean
7. Fire three shots and clean
8. Fire three shots and clean with JB (Step 3)
9. Finish with oil soaked patch and then another dry patch.

That was for a new barrel break in. For a used barrel:

Step 3 then fire five shots and repeat Step 3
Clean with JB every 300 rounds or so, or if you see your groups getting worse after a lot of shooting. Use JB very sparingly though.

It’s impossible to know if all that actually makes a difference on a new gun. The theory is that copper doesn’t build up evenly where the lands start (where the bullet first makes contact with the lands when the rifling engages the bullet). This process removes excess copper and allows it to build up evenly. Over time copper will build up regardless and needs to be removed. Again it’s impossible to know if it actually makes a difference on a new gun, but I used the above advice on a very old gun: 1944 No4 Mk 1* Lee Enfield Long Brach .303 British. That gun shot 3 ½ ” groups at 100yds before using JB and it shot 0.75” groups at 100yds with factory ammo after. That was an extreme case on an old gun that obviously had a ton of copper fouling, but it made me a believer. I’ve used that process to break in all of my new guns since and I’ve had some real tack drivers. I personal believe that process makes a difference, and I know it made a difference on that particular old gun.

Note: There are a lot of things that can affect the accuracy of a rifle and this cleaning process is not a magic cure all. I used the same process a 1943 No1 MK III* Lee Enfield and it had no affect at all that I could see, but the No1 is a very different animal than a No4. The No1 had other things that also needed to be tuned before I could see any improvement. It now shoots very very well with the tuning and this cleaning process. Most guns have to be individually tuned to get them to shoot their best. For me this cleaning process and break in is the first step in tuning all guns.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

1. Clean the barrel with wire brush and solvent – always from the muzzle.
Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Here's something that might help:
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-bore-cleaning.html

Last edited by lonyaeger; 11-28-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Your post is rife with misinformation, but I'll just tackle this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
It’s impossible to know if all that actually makes a difference on a new gun.
Of course you can. A barrel break-in will reduce copper fouling. Each patch run through during the process is an indicator of whether it is working or not. If you don't see a reduction in the amount of copper on the patches as you go, you are either doing it wrong, or your barrel had already been lapped.