Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > hopfully getting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default hopfully getting

I'm wanting to get a mosin nagant it's priced at $99.00 bayonet included at least that's what the paper said. Any advice?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check the barrel over well. Look for pitting and rust in there. Make sure the rifling is strong. If the muzzle crown is beat up or chipped, immediately pass and look at another rifle.

While you're looking at the barrel, check the muzzle end and see if it's been counter bored. Counter bored rifles shoot okay, but it's better if it's not.

Check if the serial numbers match on the bolt, receiver, magazine bottom plate and butt plate as well.

I guess it's a model 91-30, So see if they have any with a Hex receiver. I don't know how true it really is, but hex receivers are supposed to be better and they generally fetch a slightly higher price.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I looked it over again and it has a hex receiver, as for the barrel I don't know, there were two more boxes full under the one I looked at so I think I'll be able to find a good one.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Bring a penlight, remove the bolt and take a good look at the barrel from the receiver end and the muzzle end. Reinsert the bolt and work the bolt a few times and see how smooth it feels.

If all of those things seem pretty good, then buy it. Clean it, lubricate it and then shoot the heck out of it. They're great and stout rifles.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams