home defense rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > home defense rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Awful mindset or not, I'll shoot um first, then beat um up later....lol

Since home invasioins are typically conducted in groups of armed intruders, the attempt to attack said group in the middle of the night with a bat is ridiculous..... as thier numbers may be hard to determine from the outset.

I have a lawyer for the aftermath. The rifle is for surviving to see the aftermath.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Speaking of home invasion and self defense. Look up MMA fighter Joseph Torrez in New Mexico. Awesome story.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #23

Liked 459 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The short answer would be whichever rifle's the closest at hand. Collateral damage is a serious consideration with other houses close by. If it can happen with 9mm and 357mag handgun rounds, how much is it multiplied using a hi-powered rifle? Don't understand me too fast, I'd do what I have to defending me and mine. Thing is, misses and thru & thru's impact somewhere. Take out a neighbor or some poor slob out walking the dog and you could find yourself cuffed in the back seat of a police car along with Mr. Bad Guy regardless of circumstance. My short-barrel 870 is my personal long gun of choice for HD.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #24

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I looked it up. 4 gang members broke into his house and attacked with 1 shank. 1 died, and one went to the hospital. Torrez apparently had a knife.

He lucked out, as none were armed with firearms.

My family is too important to waste time wondering if intruders plan to stab them with a shank,shoot them outright or worse.

I also have problems with tresspassers around here. ( I live in the country)

Most arent looking for a fight, but are lookin to steal anything thats not nailed down.

Again, rifle......then lawyer....and in that order.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would still prefer a shotgun over a rifle in home defense unless the fight is outside the house. Plus I couldnt think of a better way to light a dark hallway than with 00 buck.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #26

Liked 2449 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
The short answer would be whichever rifle's the closest at hand. Collateral damage is a serious consideration with other houses close by. If it can happen with 9mm and 357mag handgun rounds, how much is it multiplied using a hi-powered rifle? Don't understand me too fast, I'd do what I have to defending me and mine. Thing is, misses and thru & thru's impact somewhere. Take out a neighbor or some poor slob out walking the dog and you could find yourself cuffed in the back seat of a police car along with Mr. Bad Guy regardless of circumstance. My short-barrel 870 is my personal long gun of choice for HD.
Caliber and ammo selection would (or should) be a critical part of choosing.

A 50 gr HP in .223 may be less dangerous than heavier handgun bullets after impacting construction materials. A 150 gr .30-30 round may be more dangerous for quite a distance after several walls are incountered.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #27

Liked 280 Times on 193 Posts

I use my 94 .30-30, Winchester 50 12 gauge, H&R Pardner Pump 12 gauge if there's some sort of threat outside. Indoors, I use my Walther P1 9mm or Colt/Umarex 1911 .22.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith76 View Post
I would still prefer a shotgun over a rifle in home defense unless the fight is outside the house. Plus I couldnt think of a better way to light a dark hallway than with 00 buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
I use my 94 .30-30, Winchester 50 12 gauge, H&R Pardner Pump 12 gauge if there's some sort of threat outside. Indoors, I use my Walther P1 9mm or Colt/Umarex 1911 .22.
just want to point something out. if the threat has retreated outside the house, it mightbe safer and more prudent to leave them be and let LE handle the situation. pursueing someone outside the house can quickly become a huge grey area that could have you facing legal complications if you shot someone. andbeing outside when LE shows up, how are they going to know who is who? you did call 911 when you first knew there was trouble didn't you?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Someone always has to start with the legal reality crap and spoil the fun of just talking about the what ifs. So , what if we dont call the LE as you put it and drag the thug into a hole and put some dirt on them. There are still some of us that can act in self defense without calling lawdog first. Let us have are fun.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #30

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

just want to point something out. if the threat has retreated outside the house, it mightbe safer and more prudent to leave them be and let LE handle the situation. pursueing someone outside the house can quickly become a huge grey area that could have you facing legal complications if you shot someone. andbeing outside when LE shows up, how are they going to know who is who? you did call 911 when you first knew there was trouble didn't you?
Unfortunately people who live on a farm face a problem of thieves who want to steal stuff in out building or like where I'm at cattle rustlers so there is a chance you would encounter a threat outside